A Roytam1 Browser For Windows 7 and 8?

Jody Thornton

Why would you want to do that when you can run MS Edge and/or even the latest Firefox version with Windows 7/8?

Anyway, can I suggest SeaMonkey? It's the closest you can get to old fashion theme and modern web.

4 hours ago, Bruninho said:

Why would you want to do that when you can run MS Edge and/or even the latest Firefox version with Windows 7/8?

Anyway, can I suggest SeaMonkey? It's the closest you can get to old fashion theme and modern web.

No you misunderstand.  Quantum in ESR 60 is WAY more customizable than the newest Firefox.  It looks the same to the untrained eye.  Waterfox Current (based on ESR 68) has disabled a lot of the telemetry and even included a method of placing tabs underneath the address bar, all without userChrome.css modification.  But I did like ESR 60 way better.

I don't like the newer features and increased information gathering that has taken place since ESR 60.  I also liked ESR 68, but there was a file/save bug in Windows 8 when creating an new folder.  That may be solved however.

And as for Edge, I tried it a lot during the preview stage, but I don't really care for it now.

Maybe - just maybe, I'm looking for what is provided with IceCat.  It seems to only be updated to ESR 60.7.  But I want to see if security updates are backported.  It appears the last update in mid-2019, but no one is declaring the project dead either.

EDIT:  Forget that - it appears that Windows and MacOS development was dropped - Crap!

Edited by Jody Thornton

On 6/22/2020 at 2:44 PM, Bruninho said:

I second this statement. It's also based on the ESR 60.* platform with backported security updates etc. - feel free to try either the stables or the nightly builds :D

Edited by CosmoDreamy

What are you missing from ESR 60 if you don't mind my asking? I've mostly noticed old about:config prefs disappearing, but very few changes on the outer shell. I'm on 68-based WF Current atm and am rather comfortable with my userChrome styling. I even tested ESR 78 with an updated version of the same script and replicated the same look almost to the letter. But I don't think customcssforfx is quite optimized for 78 yet having suffered some slight padding issues, that and the megabar looking a bit... Less than stellar. Makes one appreciate ESR since it gives us tinkerers time to patch up Mozilla's quirkiness before it's dropped in our lap. I'll hold on lighting my torch until/if userChrome is completely depreciated. Presumably Waterfox would reverse such a change though, even going so far as to restore some styling properties to allow extension-based themes again. SR is actually working to port their DeepDark from Classic to Current, more info on their Twitter.

Nevertheless reading this makes me awfully curious to grab a copy of 60 and test it to compare changes since :dubbio:

(bit of an IE7 / FF3 vibe going here)

bVIed16.png

Edited by docR
updated image

Well I loved ESR 60 because I could still allow single-process without the use of environment variables.  It ran quite solid.  It was modern enough to like using with an OS like Windows 8, but it was customizable using userChrome.css to make it more like a modern-looking classic browser.

I liked ESR 68 too, but for quite awhile when saving a file on Windows 8, the browser would freeze for as much as twenty seconds while creating a new folder in the process.  This made me start really wanting to revisit ESR 60.  It was just so trouble free.

I am also using Waterfox Current right now, with good results, and it's on ESR 68 right now.  In fact the file/save issue seems to have been remedied for the most part.

But in September, Alex will rebase on ESR 78.  At that point, e10s CANNOT be disabled AT ALL.  Plus I will have to hope that Alex will reverse the new address bar simplifications.

Ah, I follow. I have mixed feelings about e10s. In my experience running single process does not fare awfully well with multiple hefty CSS/js tabs. That was really my biggest issue with Pale Moon in the past. (that and there not a being a single modern password manager developed specifically for it, which was rather sad considering its extensive extensions library otherwise)

On the other hand, EIGHT default content processes is rather insane. I've really taken a liking to running 2 content processes. It holds up in the long haul without crashing the browser, and RAM usage is reasonable. Not light, but reasonable. Have you tried Auto Tab Discard and MySessions btw? Those extensions are absolutely essential for me.

I'm happy to report 78 isn't insane like I was expecting, CSS can really work its magic on the interface. But I'm hoping Alex will do something about that megabar to set it apart from mainstream ESR. I'm sure its at least on his mind with other users on Reddit orbiting him about the topic :buehehe: