Burn Discs in Windows 98/ME?

FantasyAcquiesce

Hello,

On my Dell Latitude D600, I'm trying to figure out why I cannot write to my DVD-RW disc despite having a DVD+-RW drive in my laptop. When I attempt to use ImgBurn, Windows 98/ME fails to erase the disc. I already have read capabilities for UDF 2.5, so is there something else I need to do to use imgburn properly?

Thank you for your time!

Try another burner like Cheetah or Alcohol but they were not free. These both work but there might be other burners that do too. Image Burn and CDburnerXP stopped working. I used them years ago but when I went to use them 2017 they did not work. There are others out there that I am not sure of like early version of PowerISO. Be aware Cheetah never returned email.

Turns out my mistake was very elementary.:wacko:

What you need to do for Windows 98/NT4/2000 is install this driver. Alternatively, using imgburn 1.3.0 fixes the problem. For Windows 95 machines, this driver is required.

I would burn discs with my other computers, but unfortunately, my ME laptop is the only working DVD drive in the whole house. All the other PC's either don't come with one or broke as the years passed...ironic considering my laptop is the oldest PC in the entire house. I guess they just don't make them last long as they used to. :( 

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

Glad to hear you've solved the issue. The Adaptec ASPI Layer v4.71.2.0 driver is also included as part of U98SESP3x, installable as a separate option.

My CD/DVD burner of choice is cdrtfe ("CD Record Tools Frontend"), current version 1.5.8, 2018-Jan-01:

https://cdrtfe.sourceforge.io/cdrtfe/index_en.html

The "Frontend" is a convenient but powerful GUI for cdrtools ("CD Record Tools"), a suite of command-line binaries ported from Linux (included). The Frontend is simple to use, but also has numerous advanced options if that's the need. I've been using it for years with never a problem.

Be sure to download the native-Win9x version -- it does not require KernelEx.

- Doug B.

ASPI layer drivers are needed because windows 9x came out before CD-RW standards

CD-RW are cool but DVD RAM is better that it can be re written to many more times, is faster and can be left in the drive as a "temporary" hard disk.

Though still not as responsive as a hard disk, I am not sure if ASPI is needed for DVD RAM or not but people loved them more.

Last one of those discs i had was the only reason i kept the drive for 5 years never ejected once. 

Edited by ZaPbUzZ
acronym mistakes

On 4/14/2020 at 6:57 AM, ZaPbUzZ said:

CD RAM is better that it can be re written to many more times, is faster and can be left in the drive as a "temporary" hard disk.

I've heard of DVD-RAM, but never CD-RAM!

c

No, different operating systems use different incompatible Advanced SCSI Programming Interfaces. In Cheatah I think the Wnaspi32.dll has to be replaced with the 98/ME one, it has nothing to do with RW, that is up to the DVD burner firmware and the burner software. I have used RW discs when they first were made plentiful. RW discs were developed in 1997. ASPI image taken from WIKI.

ASPI.png

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Adaptec has a driver that mounts specially formatted CD and DVD discs as drives any app can write to. Deleting files hides but doesn't erase them, so discs eventually fill up. RW discs can be reused, R can't.