AMD X40 / Ryzen minimum Windows 10/PE version

I ran into a situation where there seems to be a minimum Windows 10 build required that can boot on a TRX40 board with a Ryzen 3960X. I can't really find any information on what this version requirement is or if it is caused by a missing hotfix or driver. This is also primarily a WinPE concern, however it may also relate to the main OS equivalents themselves.

The behaviour is that the PE will do the pre-load, but the activity indicator (spinning dots) do not appear, and the hardware does a hard lock. There is only USB on these boards, and the caps/num/scroll lock doesn't work. It could be that the hardware is not locked but just the USB portion is. I don't have a PCI-E PS/2 card to verify.

These do not boot on the Ryzen board:
- WinPE 10 (Kernel32.dll version 10.0.14393.0)
- Windows Setup for IoT 1607 LTSB
- Windows Setup for Windows 10 RTM or 1511

These do boot on the board:
- WinPE 10 (Kernel32.dll version 10.0.17763.1)
- Windows Setup for IoT 1809 LTSC
- Windows Setup for Windows 10 1709 and 1803

These are all either WinPE on USB (although I do have a report that WinPE 10 (10.0.14393.0) via PXE does not work) or the WinPE that is part of the Windows installation DVDs. I have yet to see if a deployed OS version of say 1511 or 1607 will boot.

Microsoft made a list of Windows Processor Requirements, and AMD Ryzen processors are supported since 1703.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

But it seems that 1607 works with Ryzen 5 3600.

https://community.amd.com/thread/246190

Edited by halohalo