Geforce 6xxx PCI-E drivers compatibility and experience?

ruthan

I have got an idea. VIA has got GART control. If you install to the VIA880 machine or put a ready built drive on it and the 6600GT works after installing drivers. Take the drive off the VIA880 and put it on the other machines. My build has been going since 2005 on many different machines. The network card number has to be low so some unused devices for them need to be removed. The unused video cards can be remove etcetera but the sound devices, have to be careful not to remove any Microsoft ones streaming devices and such. You may not need to remove any anyway its just the network devices that may not work after installing if there are too many.

20 hours ago, Ximonite said:

I use ZakMcKraken's NVIDIA Drivers. They work perfectly with my GeForce 7950 GT PCI-E.

Perfectly, i dont thing that such thing is possible in Win9x + 3D games world. there is lots of catches. Try some games which were not working for my from list above, if they would work for you.. I tested only demos which are publicly available.

If card is working with other machine and its not possible to set up at exactly same place everytime, it means that card is fine, that its software not hardware problem.

Otherwise i hoped that someone would have some deeper technical knowledge of this, that there would be some log with error.. and we would be able to learn more with exactly error message. Because this is not some crash... that is os controller behavior, something lie BSOD where is usually some error message which are able some low level guys analyze.  Because i could spend few guys just by my own wild guessing that is not very effective way to solve things.. that is why i started that Windows protection error thread to get more knowledge.

FlatOut 2 locked in at 60FPs at all times with 7900 GS.

I have an AMD 890 board rigged up now but same drive has been on an Intel 915 motherboard and it worked good there also. It will not be your case but I had a K7 AMD board that would only work the AGP properly with one CPU and WinME, the rest of my second hand CPUs must not be up to scratch for that board or the extra CPU cache size was enough to stop it although other Durons were tested. It was the CPU that was sent with the machine, the other possibility was that this CPU wore-in the North bridge. Many other boards were no good either, it is not easy to get a good CPU secondhand or any hardware really.

Without 4 bit color error message BSOD, the fault could be worse and the machine had no chance to error from Kernel mode or it could be trying to push out a frame and just not able to, and it might be just very slow.

So you have the 6600GT working on the machine you want with KEX and updates but you want it to work with no KEX build or updates? Well you can extract the registry parts you need from the KEX drive then delete the new drive same parts while in safe mode then merge back the KEX drives ones. I will tell you what registry parts you need if you want. I have done this as a last resort and it works fine. I did this because I could not get sound to work but I think it was after the install of Aureal Vortex audio as it does its own thing too much and I would have had to remove all its VXDs and other files. This build may still have trouble with audio install in future if it is in the Classes section that stops the audio detection.

Did you try without KVM pass though for the first install run with the Windows install. Can you make an image that loads again so you can swap video cards after the GT failed to the LE and see if that booted into Windows.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

11 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

FlatOut 2 locked in at 60FPs at all times with 7900 GS.

Did you test it with all details, AA maxed with 1600x1200 its you can test this resolution, try 1920x1080 its almost same number of pixels - 2Mpx.

On 3/29/2020 at 6:18 PM, deomsh said:

I am happy with my 128MB PCI-E 6700 XL and the 7772 drivers after adding the device to the inf-file.

The RUN/RUNSERVICES lines better delete in the inf-file, always problems, and they are not needed. Do not touch the line with RUNSERVICESONCE !

I never messed with inf files, could you pleas check my edits?  I just commented service lines and some Geforce 6600GT ids which are not mine(140).

NVAML.INF

Yes I will check again and see one moment. It is run from 1920x1080 desktop mode and there does not seem to be a resolution adjustment. I got mine off my Steam drive. All settings are maxed out, texture quality = very high, view distance = 100%. Settlers 6 has no shadow errors with this video card now, it is working pretty good.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

10 minutes ago, jumper said:

I have a tool I can modify to report which loaded programs are using KernelEx.

KernelEx can be completely disabled by renaming VKrnlEx.vxd.

Important is if is KernelEX known to fix some driver issues or not.. If not, problem would be elsewhere - it still could be some windows updates, but i thing that there are even people who would know that and have detailed overview of this. 
  Regardless some KernelEX GUI toolbox to report if KernelEX is active + for quick switching it on off.. na show list of program which are using it would be very nice.

3 hours ago, ruthan said:

I never messed with inf files, could you pleas check my edits?  I just commented service lines and some Geforce 6600GT ids which are not mine(140).

I gave you my inf-lines because you asked 7772 users. Your inf-file is a 8269 version. This file is different from the 7772 one.

I haven't used 8269 in the last years. I used 8269 for my 7900 GTX and my 7950 GT. They both died in between. I never liked 8269 because of shutdown/dosbox problems.

If you are going to use 7772 (international) and have made entrances to THAT version of the inf-file I will try to judge your entrances, or try to give other help.

I though that inf change mechanism would be the same regardless of drivers, i can of course change 77.xx too..

Here it is structure of file is really same:

// Hmm, but  i discovered that this driver has Geforce 6600 GT only as DEV_00F1 , but i need 1400. Older 66 driver has this and 140 too.

NVAML.zip

I also wonder, doesnt have these "modern" drivers form prerequisites some runtimes or some something like that?

Edited by ruthan

Ruthan, If 7772 inf is accidentally used with 8269 files then it will give a similar result as you are experiencing. This happened to me while installing FX5500 PCI on old drive but I did not retest as it is damaging. It is best to keep a copy of the correct inf in each driver location as if 8269 drivers are relocated then Windows will ask for location of each file. At least you know that it is installed correctly this way. The first file it asks for is the inf again. I was wondering why it was asking for the extra language files. Actual events were starting with 8269 inf then when Windows asked for inf location which I chose the normal location in other drives for 8269, it turned out to be 7772. What I am saying here is 8269 inf loaded first then 7772 was loaded. This is why I suggested to locate the correct Inf in the driver file locations as well as the INF directory.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

• 2 weeks later...