Windows 10 18363.752

CKyHC

18 hours ago, Zod said:

I think the problem is the 2nd screen.  My main 1440p screen is connected via displayport.  The 2nd 1080p screen via HDMI.    If I run off the single 1440p screen there's no issue.   It's only when I run both, the icons jam up in the upper left corner of the 2nd screen and all the windows go weird on the primary screen.

I've spent so much time googling but no solutions.   I've read about the simulated_ registry key, but have never seen one.   I use a program called DesktopOK to save and restore my icon positions.    It's super annoying.   I have an AMD 5700XT right now, but this problem also existed under my old Nvidia card.

Lot's of googling shows this can be a pretty common problem :(

I wish I could figure out how manually make the simulated entry in the registry.  

Hmm that's odd, I run three screens, they are all 1080p though one is running at 144hz while the others run at 60hz. I had similar issues to you but I was able to find and modify the simulated entries in my registry and all problems stopped :/ Have you tried to do a full registry-search for the entries?

Wow, I thought I could get used to not having Aero Glass in time but without it I just keep losing windows over the top of other windows.  Not only that, but some window chrome looks different than others.  We know that'll be the case with Apps vs. Applications, but I'm also seeing it e.g., with the Pale Moon browser vs., e.g., a CMD window.  The former has a dimmer single line of blue pixels around it than the latter when the window is current.  Why is it so much to ask just to be able to see where the window edges are?

I hate mediocrity.

-Noel

On 5/4/2020 at 6:26 AM, NoelC said:

Wow, I thought I could get used to not having Aero Glass in time but without it I just keep losing windows over the top of other windows.  Not only that, but some window chrome looks different than others.  We know that'll be the case with Apps vs. Applications, but I'm also seeing it e.g., with the Pale Moon browser vs., e.g., a CMD window.  The former has a dimmer single line of blue pixels around it than the latter when the window is current.  Why is it so much to ask just to be able to see where the window edges are?

I hate mediocrity.

-Noel

Would Winaero Tweaker be any help? It does have boarder controls.

On 4/28/2020 at 10:06 AM, Wolfshadow said:

Search the web. I forget where I found it, but I put gpedit on my wife's windows 10 home edition and it worked.

@echo off
(cd /d "%~dp0")&&(NET FILE||(powershell start-process -FilePath '%0' -verb runas)&&(exit /B)) >NUL 2>&1
@echo off 
pushd "%~dp0" 

dir /b %SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientExtensions-Package~3*.mum >List.txt 
dir /b %SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientTools-Package~3*.mum >>List.txt 

for /f %%i in ('findstr /i . List.txt 2^>nul') do dism /online /norestart /add-package:"%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\%%i" 
pause

On 5/4/2020 at 12:26 PM, NoelC said:

Not only that, but some window chrome looks different than others.  We know that'll be the case with Apps vs. Applications, but I'm also seeing it e.g., with the Pale Moon browser vs., e.g., a CMD window.

Pale Moon and also pretty much any mainstream browser are coded to render window frame in a way that UWP apps do. If you turn off browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar in about:config, it'll be rendered normally.

But to get it to behave right with browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar enabled, you'd have to modify the browser's source code and recompile it.

The worst part is that I think MS is doing a major update this month?  If bigmuscle does release an update before next Tuesday, MS will probably break it again :(

• 4 weeks later...