Win98SE .Net Framework 2 install problem,

ruthan

I re-downloaded all of them.. replaced msiexec file, but its still the same, the same.

I installed so far everything else include .Net 1.1 and sp1 fine. 

I dunno if original installer 2 was installed by some program or its part of Win98 Se itself.. otherwise all seems to work fine. My system has not installed any updates except some forced by games and all Visual basic and C++ runtimes.

Thanks, i guess i will try it next time with clean system..

Installer 2 was not in original Win98. The Unofficial SPs are self extracting, that is right click and extract all to desired directory.

Ruthan:  I thank you too for the Fraps. I looked for before but could not find a Fraps for Win98/ME. So far I have tested Fraps on Praetorians, Will Rock, Wizardry 8 and FlatOut 2 and it works good. There is an exiting problem with some of these now though when Fraps is active. 

Glide sounds like you have a VooDoo graphics card it might be that. Perhaps try installing a more recent Direct X?

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Yeah Glide is Voodoo thing, but some Win9x games run only / best in this mode - faster or better looking.. But was is best nGlide wrapper is working with Windows 98, so you can run it on not 3dfx cards too and its fast enough.

Edited by ruthan

Try to reinstall the msi: Rename in safe mode msihnd.dll, MSI.DLL and msiexec.exe. Reboot and install 2.0.2600.2 again.

My files are set to Legacy Base enhancements (MSI.DLL and msiexec.exe ) and msihnd.dll to default comp options.

>>I installed so far everything else include .Net 1.1 and sp1 fine.

These do not need an updated installer from memory of it. So it is not a good MSI test. Net 1.1 will not need to be installed if 2.0.50727.42 is installed. Some very old programs may ask for missing DotNET but it was usually only v1.0.3705 that it asks for when it did not know any better (v1.1 might work here) and is usual only on installing. DotNet should be backward compatible. MS released some programs that were targeted at in between DotNet versions that will not install on 50727. The in between DotNet versions at the time were more closer related to DotNet 3 and they will install on 98/ME. Only thing is the majority of programs after development of 50727 will ask for 50727. Anyway just in case you want to start again but you should not have to, I am reasonably sure you just have the wrong version of installer installed. To be sure (though not sure if it works as MScoree in the system is set to open 50727 folder) of programs not asking for DotNet 1, it can be installed if you want first, otherwise it may not be allowed to install after 2.0.50727.42.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
50727 not 50927

i use AutoPatcher_for_Win98se_June2007sp2_Full.exe on fresh windows install to avoid windows installer and dot net 1, 2 issues.

Although people have there stuff installed and issues exist; 60- 90 minutes later, from a fdisk format c: , can save days on a forum ;)

Oh and Loew has cabs on his memorial site to fit into the windows 98se cdrom its cool to run 98se (and Me version too) with more than a gig ram.

Edited by ZaPbUzZ

On 3/27/2020 at 10:09 PM, schwups said:

Try to reinstall the msi: Rename in safe mode msihnd.dll, MSI.DLL and msiexec.exe. Reboot and install 2.0.2600.2 again.

I finally had chance to test this and its working, thanks! Only strange thing was that i tried to just move files elsewhere, but there is some system protection error within safe mode, so its not working, but rename worked fine.

Otherwise .Net frame could take lots of time.. especially when i tried it with all virtual Qemu machine on windows without any HW acceleration (Hax and WHPX arent working great for Win98 machines).. it was 10x or so slower than Linux KVM. 

Bonus is that with Installer 2, i could finally install Desktop Restore icon saver 1.36 working just through right mouse on desktop and for multiple resolution.. Its big help, because is often freeze or crash and when game set desktop to other resolution and icons are all over the place.

Edited by ruthan