Win98SE .Net Framework 2 install problem,

ruthan

Hello,
i have clean Win98Se English and i want to install .Net framework 2  - found installer - filesize 23 510 720 bytes, but it giving message that i have to install Microsoft Windows installer 2 first.

I found some Microsoft installer (version - 2.0.2600.2, filesize - 1 709 160 butes), but its giving message: The specified services already exists.

I dunno if have right .net installer and MS installer 2 - installer files and if have right files, how to install installer? Shout i stop services, or installer it from safe mode or what?

image.png.5a1ce932c1906aad81bf11c2b9661602.png

Right click NET package installer executable  (Framework 2.0 dotnetfx.exe) and it should be 2.0.50727.42. I think you have this package. It does not take much to not make the installer 12.0.2600.2 InstMsiA2.exe or 98SP 12.0.2600.2 INSTMSIA.EXE not to work though, perhaps a wrong file. I seems you have the correct MSI installer but it should say 12.0.2600.2 in file properties version tab. I would try and install the 98SP InstMsiA2.exe if you have not done already. If that still says service already exists I probably try uninstalling it and re-installing it from add remove programs. I thought there was a self extracting executable for the MSI installer but could not find any.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

There is no add remove program for it. If you double click on msiexec.exe should get the message in the picture I uploaded. If other MSI files start to install then probably the installer is OK. The DotNet package should first unpack itself in to the Temp folder see if this happens. Not all MSI files use all the installer files though and there still could be a bad file holding it up.

My KernelEx settings are MSIINST.EXE = disabled, MSIMG32.DLL = disabled,  %WINDIR%\SYSTEM\ MSI.DLL = DFCG1, %WINDIR%\SYSTEM\MSIEXEC.EXE = DCFG1 check the last 2 in the registry and make sure there are no conflicts or right click on files to check KernelEx is using the correct mode.

MSI.png

Edited by Goodmaneuver

1 hour ago, Goodmaneuver said:

Fraps what version works with 98? How?

Fraps 1.9d works natively under 98SE: https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/fraps_(old_free_version).html

@ruthan Try installing IE6 if it's not installed already.

Also the Visual c++ 6.0 redists: http://priede.bf.lu.lv/ftp/pub/Programmeeshana/VC++/vc6redistsetup_enu.exe.html

I've never tried installing .NET Framework 2.0 on 98SE myself.

7 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

Right click NET package installer executable  (Framework 2.0 dotnetfx.exe) and it should be 2.0.50727.42. 

Ok i have right one.

7 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

I seems you have the correct MSI installer but it should say 12.0.2600.2 in file properties version tab.

Mine is reporting - 2.0.2600.2  .. so no 12, but 2 at the start. I know that they are 2 version one for Win NT / 2000 and one for Windows 9x, im not really sure which i downloaded, i had problems to find any version of it. Here is exact message when i run it:

image.png.d6cdccafaea91fb5fe530333ae6e38f0.png
    Filename is InstMsiA*

I didnt found any msiexec in temp, but i found one in  Windows\System folder and it reporting same version as your version 2:

image.png.e0dec653602cd617078c64107b0a862a.png

Im not using KernelEX of course, because of games compatibility.. but i seems that some of these installers is lying :)  

IE6 is already installed.

Edited by ruthan

Fraps.. is nice, but its not working within Glide mode, or not with all games, is quite old version, so i wouldnt mind something better - with cpu and gpu usage, ram or any other Performance data.

I guess that i can run such tool as HWinfo, Aida etc.. on second monitor, i would be lucky and not get some incompatible HW bluescreen.. But im afraid that second monitor conenction would mess with games compatibility - what is my first priority, even more modern Windows games had issues when more monitors are connected.
   Has someone some experience in this area?

The Unofficial SP for WinME MESP1 or 98SE SP2.1 for example has got what you want as in the MSI installer upgrade. Look for INSTMSIA.exe.

In the Temp folder sort out by date and open the temporary named folder that corresponds to the time of the install of DotNet. The files should be there if the error screen you posted is still active.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Folder not file

I've tried installing .NET Framework 2.0 SP0 on 98SE myself and it worked fine.

Maybe try re-downloading it? I've used these links:

https://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/7/567758a3-759e-473e-bf8f-52154438565a/dotnetfx.exe

https://www.marxmeier.com/download/sqlr/A0200/win32/InstMsiA.exe

If it still doesn't work, I guess you should just reinstall 98SE since I can't really figure out why it wouldn't work for you.