AMD HD8180 Graphics Driver for XP

Dave-H

Update.

I went to Device Manager and it said that the graphics driver was disabled.
I enabled it, and it appeared to enable fine and said it was working properly.

The refresh rate was still very poor though, so I went to the Display Properties and it was set to a very low resolution and colour depth (even though the display resolution and depth actually looked fine!) I then set it to the settings I wanted, and it tried to set them, but then the BSOD came back "The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop" 0x000000EA.

:(

6 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

No joy I'm afraid, same BSOD after installing just the graphics driver using the INF. :(

But does it BSOD "by itself" or only when you attempt changing resolution?

Back to past post:

Or it does BSOD on reboot?

Or both?

jaclaz

Curioser an curioser.

The two drivers have essentially the SAME files (by version AND by size) BUT they are largely different :w00t:.

It makes little sense, it is practically impossible to compile two - even if only slightly - different sources to the same .exe/.dll size and compiling them leaving the same version is more than sloppy, bordering with total crazyness.  

See the attached. :dubbio:

jaclaz

Compare.xls

That is certainly bizarre!
How about trying a Device Manager install using Forced3001, but with the INF from ATI3005?
I'm sure it will produce the same result, but you never know!
:dubbio:

OK, I gave it a try, with not quite the expected results.

I tried first using the files in folder B166713, which appeared to be newer than those in B166496.
That just produced the BSOD when rebooted. I didn't try to change any settings.

I then uninstalled with Device Manager in Safe Mode, and tried again with the files in B166496.
That apparently installed OK, overwriting all the newer existing files, but on reboot did not BSOD.
However in Device Manager, the device shows the ever-popular "Cannot start (code 10)".
:dubbio:

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

Well, this is not at all "surprising".

The B166713 folder corresponds to the CX166904.inf that contains the PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9838 (but not the PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9839)

The B166496 folder corresponds to the CX171234.inf that contains NOT any "Kabini" related HWID.

I would say that only files corresponding to a .inf with a provision for "ati2mtag_Kabini_Mobile" have a possibility to work.

I am every day more convinced that the issue is with your card being part of the APU/embedded, while "ordinary" drivers are for "self-standing" cards - indirectly - this is confirmed here:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000028808/graphics/graphics-for-8th-generation-intel-processors.html

jaclaz

Understood.
Yes, you could well be right about integrated graphics hardware being the issue.
That could well explain why a driver that apparently supports the hardware and the operating system, and appears to install normally, then doesn't work.
What can be done about this I have no idea!
I did find a reference to the 0x000000EA BSOD in another forum, which although it related to a different card, suggested that turning "fast write" off might fix it.
Apparently on later drivers it's on by default, and can cause problems with some hardware configurations.
How you would try turning this off without the control panel I don't know, I can't find any reference to it in the registry.

Congratulations on your 20,000th post BTW!
:cheerleader:

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Congratulations on your 20,000th post BTW!
:cheerleader:

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

How you would try turning this off without the control panel I don't know, I can't find any reference to it in the registry.

Maybe this:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/ati-registry-tweaking-guide.51433/

3-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies\CDS\0000\0\PCI Config
(a)AGP Transfer Rate=Tells you your current AGP rate to change it to 4x modify it with following "AGP 4X (0x00000004)" {string value} 
(b)Fast Write=To see if Fast writes is enabled if not than enable it with following "Yes (0x00000001)" to disable it "No (0x00000000)" {string value}

jaclaz