AMD HD8180 Graphics Driver for XP

Dave-H

4 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

Ah thanks, scrap that theory then!
That makes it even more strange if that is an official AMD driver, claiming to support the HD8180 under XP, which actually doesn't work!
I'm now wondering if my hardware is different somehow to what the driver was designed for, which would explain everything.
:dubbio:

Edited by Dave-H
Quote added as reply appeared on a new page

OK, I tried MultiRes, but unfortunately I can only boot into the Safe Modes or VGA mode.
Everything else BSODs.
Safe Mode is using the Windows VGASAVE driver, VGA Mode claims to be using the ATI driver.
However in VGA mode if I try to select any higher resolutions with MultiRes, it just says they "cannot be supported".
:no:

Edited by Dave-H
Amendment

That does sound rather a big undertaking, with of course absolutely no guarantee that it will be any different.
If the driver cannot communicate properly with the hardware at a fundamental level, as seems to be the case, I really don't think it will help.

I'm starting to think the unthinkable here now.
I only want to dual boot the netbook because I like having dual boot systems, so I might as well dual boot Windows 7 with Windows 8.1.
Don't worry, I wouldn't be abandoning XP completely, I still use it as my main OS on my desktop machine!

I just think that struggling to get XP working when there's no real reason other that nostalgia for it to be XP, is pointless.
I also can't find a driver that works for the touchpad, which is driving me mad because I can't disable the "tap to click" function.
I've tried a few drivers, but even those that apparently install OK there are no settings available in the interfaces, they're all greyed out.

I think maybe the time has come this time to say this is never going to work properly, so let's look at alternatives.
:(

You might install debian instead and then use XP in a VM on the laptop. In case you want to try that, do PM me 1st, so we can chat about it some, before you actually start doing some major machine changeover. Since this is off-topic I stop here. :angel  BTW, what AMD processor and how much RAM are in the machine?

The processor is an AMD A4-1200 APU, with 4GB of RAM.
It's actually a 64 bit machine, but I'm only intending to install 32 bit operating systems on it.
I can't see any great advantage in using a 64 bit OS as the memory can't be physically increased as it's part of the motherboard, not a plugin card.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm really not that wedded to having to have XP on this machine, certainly not in a virtual machine.
I don't see any point, the only advantage would be to have another XP system to compare with the XP system on my desktop which can help diagnostics it something goes wrong.
Otherwise, it doesn't really matter what the second OS is, although I will stick with Windows.
:)

Can't you go back in time to this point?

If you can have 1366x768, the VGASAVE with acceleration level 5 should be bearable, as a secondary OS.

Try also:

http://qres.sourceforge.net/

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/multi_monitor_tool.html

or NIRCMD setdisplay:

https://nircmd.nirsoft.net/setdisplay.html

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Thanks @jaclaz.

Yes, I could just try it with the VGASAVE driver for a while and see how it goes, although I'm sure I will find the slow refresh rate (even with acceleration level 5) vary annoying!
Still, as you say I'm only using it as a secondary OS really just for diagnostic purposes on Windows 8.1, so maybe it won't matter.

Does "Qres" provide the same functionality as "MultiRes"? They look very similar.
I already use "MultiMonitorTool" on my desktop, it's a great program, as all of Nir Sofer's are of course! :worship:
His "SetDisplay" tool seems to be another resolution switcher.

I don't actually need anything like that with the VGASAVE driver as I appear to be able to set the resolution levels using the normal Display Properties window.

Yep, they are two separate approaches.

1) be happy with the VGASAVE set at 1366x768 even if a bit slow (but again it is only a secondary OS, so it should be bearable)
2) try experimenting with the (crappy) ATI/AMD driver, I don't know, but maybe if you set it to a "standard" resolution (like - say - 800x600) it may actually boot without BSOD and then (if any of the tools work) you can change the resolution after boot (if it won't BSOD then).

As a side note, there are chances that the current issues are with the "whole" Catalyst package, whilst "only" the driver maybe works.

In the meantime I found a report (Russian, use Google translate) 

http://gallery.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=81&active=11&topic=5327&start=720

Hello! 
Help me find drivers for the AMD A4-1200 APU with HD 8180 graphics for the ASUS X102BA. 
Specifically - PCI \ VEN_1002 & DEV_9839 
The only thing I found on the Internet under XP is DriverVer = 01/04/2014, 9.000.300.3001 
But even there the last thing was - 9830-9838. It seems like this is the same Kabini core (Temash?), But with different frequencies ... Added a line for 9839 - the driver was installed and for some time everything worked (resolution was set, 3DMarks passed ...). But then the laptop began to fly out into the blue screen at startup (error 0x000000ea, the first time I noticed after the laptop “fell asleep” - I didn’t wake up ...). After the code 0x000000ea, the following numbers in brackets are different. After that, only reinstalling the driver helps (for a while). 
I continue to search for a driver and ask you to help if there is a ready-made solution ...

which is very similar to your experience, BUT - maybe - if the driver works at "first install", we can find a way to install it at boot and uninstall it at shutdown?

jaclaz

Yes, that report is an extremely similar scenario, although it does say that the driver will sometimes load without the BSOD. It never does for me!

What a shame they presumably never found a fix!

I did try starting in different resolutions, but anything other than starting in VGA mode from the F8 menu (or Safe Mode of course) causes the crash.

I think at a very fundamental level, the driver is going into an endless loop when it tries to initialise the hardware.

It does usually work OK on very first installation after being removed, and as long as a restart isn't required, I can then change the settings without the crash, but as soon as I reboot, no joy.

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

It does usually work OK on very first installation after being removed, and as long as a restart isn't required, I can then change the settings without the crash, but as soon as I reboot, no joy.

Yep, the idea (to be tested) being:

0) install the driver
1) (re-)boot with /basevideo (VGASAVE)
2) automatically (login script or similar automatic start) uninstall and reinstall the driver (and set the right resolution)
3) loop to #1

jaclaz

On 4/4/2020 at 7:50 PM, Dave-H said:

As for the graphics driver, I don't think the option to uninstall/reinstall it on every boot will work either, quite apart from the fact that it will horribly slow down the process!
I've done more experimenting, and if I disable the display adapter so I can boot into normal mode, and then enable it, it enables OK, but is still shown as being in 640x480 mode in the Display Properties. As soon as I change that it tries to change the resolution, and then BSODs.
I can't imagine that the same thing wouldn't happen if it was being installed on every boot.
Fundamentally, it's not communicating with the hardware properly, and even if it could be got to work as it should even the once, I suspect it would always be very unstable.

Look, it was you that reported that right after install you can change resolution of the driver without BSOD's.

Installing only the driver (bar the stupid Catalyst bloat around it) should be a matter of seconds.

Anyway, instead of installing it automatically at each boot, it could be a batch file, so you normally boot with the VGASAVE (and have slower refresh) and only when you really *need* the better driver you install it.

You are now introducing another approach, disabling it and re-enabling it, but it seems to me rather obvious that if you disable it when at 640x480 it will re-enable at that resolution, unless you disable it when working fine (just after install) at 1366x768 and when it restarts it defaults back to 640x480? :unsure:

jaclaz

Thanks again @jaclaz.

In the early days of the experimentation, I could get the ATI driver working as it should on first install, although it then failed when the machine was rebooted.
I can't now reproduce that, but this could be because the driver package I'm experimenting with now is not the same one I was using at the start, although it does seem to be the same version of the driver according to the file versions.
I will try again with the original package. One difference is that when using the first package, the Catalyst Install Manager does not offer the graphics driver or the Control Center, whereas the second one does. I suspect this is because the second package actually already has the INF entry for the 8180 hardware (even though it doesn't appear to actually work with it!) and the first one doesn't, it has to be manually added to the INF file after the package is unpacked.
That could be the difference.

If I can get the driver working at all again, even if it's only once after the first install, we can then try from there.
As you rightly say, I don't need the Control Center anyway.

• 3 months later...