AMD HD8180 Graphics Driver for XP

Dave-H

I already removed all the duplicated devices in Safe Mode, and when I restarted again it put them back, exactly as they were before!
I also had to reactivate Windows, as it thought the hardware had changed so much!
:D

The additional devices should be fine.

There is one monitor for each logical video output, even if there is no physical connector.

The "motherboard resources" must not have any driver loaded, don't mind those.

That "PCI bus" is a bummer though... This means it loaded the standard driver from machine.inf

Check its device ID and see if you can find it in the AMD drivers you have downloaded.

Also, check what you have loaded there under Win8.

Can you slow down Windows loading somehow? Like toggle some speed-related settings in BIOS, enable boot logging, add login prompt(password)? If you still can boot in IDE mode, use that and switch the controller to a lower UDMA mode?

@RainyShadow

Yes, I guess the three monitors are the built-in display panel, the HDMI connection, and the external VGA connection.
The latter two are not actually connected to anything of course.

On Windows 8.1 the display driver is listed under "PCI Express Root Complex".
Only one "Generic PnP Monitor" is listed as being connected to it.

:dubbio:

The PCI Bus Device ID is "ACPI\PNP0A08".

I can't find any specifically ATI/AMD drivers for it.
What driver file or files would you expect it to be using? At the moment it's just using the standard Microsoft version of "PCI.SYS".

There is a "chipset.msi" file in the driver package I'm using, but it won't install, it just says "This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package." :dubbio:

After more experimenting, it seems that the driver is crashing when it's trying to apply settings to the driver, which is possibly why it works in VGA mode as that is the default mode so there is nothing to apply. That would seem to be why trying to change any settings when the driver is running also causes the crash.

:)

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

@Dave-H

So, it boots with VGA mode enabled and will work indefinitely as long as you don't touch the driver settings?

Does it BSOD if you try to change only the resolution?

Get Multires and see if it can switch to the native panel resolution.

@win32

Good catch :D

How did you find this? Do you know chinese?

All results i get for this file are in chinese.

Edited by RainyShadow

1 hour ago, RainyShadow said:

How did you find this? Do you know chinese?

All results i get for this file are in chinese.

I found another link on here pointing to this page:

http://web.archive.org/web/20150321044055/http://support.amd.com/zh-cn/kb-articles/Pages/icafe-unified.aspx

There are two other drivers; one from August 2015 (not crawled by wayback machine) and another from September 2015 which was preserved on archive.org (but not wayback machine itself).

Wow, how do you find this stuff!
Thanks a million guys.

I will try that driver, as it does indeed seem to contain my hardware ID.
I hope it hasn't been modded for that, it doesn't look as if it has been.

@RainyShadow

Yes, it will boot happily in VGA mode from the F8 menu and then works fine.
However if I then try to raise the resolution level using the normal interface, it tries to refresh and then blue screens.
I will certainly try Multires if the new driver that's been found by @win32 doesn't work any better than what I've already got.

Cheers, and thanks all for sticking with this!
:yes:

Well I tried the driver from the Chinese site, and everything looked very hopeful.
For the first time, the Catalyst Install Manager offered me the graphics driver and the Catalyst Control Center.
It appeared to install fine with no modifications to anything, no error messages.
I was hoping for the best, but on reboot back came the BSOD!
:(
I'm wondering if there was something still left over from the previous installation, although i thought I'd cleaned everything with Driver Cleaner Pro.
I will check and try again.
:yes:

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

9 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

But this driver is very unstable, I checked it on several computers, there were problems everywhere. AMD 5870 - the driver could not install with an error. AMD 6320 (AMD APU) driver was installed, but when you turn on the video player with DXVA, the system completely freezes. AMD 7770 - the driver is installed, the video player with DXVA shows a black screen, playback does not start. There are no problems in the last official driver.

Well, that driver may be just plain trash after all, as this is what happens with it in x64.

Oh dear, what a bummer!
:(
I was so hopeful that driver would work too, although I note that the Chinese download page does not mention the HD8180.
I tried doing a complete clean again, and then another install, which again went perfectly until the reboot, at which the 0xEA BSOD came back again.
Time to give up do we think?
I guess there really is no XP compatible driver which will talk to my hardware without crashing.
:no:
As AFAIK there is no hope whatsoever of getting a Vista or later driver working on XP, I guess that's game over.
:dubbio:

Did you check MultiRes? If it works, you add it to startup in the Start menu.

Also, add /basevideo to your boot.ini so it always boots in VGA mode.

Before you give up... How much free space you have?

Try to squeeze in another partition and install clean XP there. You can use the WinNTsetup tool to do it from either Win8 or your current XP. It can also add the AHCI driver. This way you will know for sure that there are no left-over drivers from your previous system.

I haven't checked MultiRes, but I'll certainly give it a try!
When I boot into VGA mode using the F8 menu, I get an error on boot saying that Catalyst Control Center doesn't support the driver I'm using, and that happens if I try to run it after boot as well, saying it doesn't support the currently active GPU. Device Manager and Display Properties both say I'm using the Radeon HD 8180 driver. :dubbio:

I'm wondering if this is actually a hacked Chinese driver, which still doesn't actually work on some hardware, including mine!
:no:

Incidentally, the driver files are now version 6.14.10.7280, which I'm pretty certain is the same as the driver I was using before.

Edited by Dave-H
Addition