AMD HD8180 Graphics Driver for XP

Dave-H

I think I know what the answer is going to be, but I've just got hold of a second hand ASUS netbook which has an AMD Radeon HD8180 graphics system.
I'd like to dual boot it with Windows XP and Windows 10, as my older netbook was booted with Windows XP and Windows 8.1, but I cannot find an XP graphics driver for it.
The old netbook had Intel graphics, and there was a very basic Intel driver which worked with it on XP, but I can't find an AMD equivalent.
While there are obviously no official XP AMD drivers for this hardware, has anyone running XP had any success with other older drivers, by INF editing etc.?
I only want it to work at a very basic level, but not with the basic Microsoft driver if I can help it!
Thanks, Dave.
:)

Edited by Dave-H

Thanks guys, I will give that a try and let you know how it goes!
The Intel driver I have on my previous netbook was quite restricted, no acceleration for instance, and the UI was hardly very user friendly, but I could go to full HD resolution (with an HDMI connected external monitor) so I hope this will do the same. If not, as long as the built-in screen can get out of the basic VGA mode I will be happy.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not holding out much hope here, but does anyone know of an XP driver which might work on this hardware on my Asus X102B netbook?
There are obviously no official XP drivers available.
I have tried using @bearwindows VBEMP driver, but it doesn't seem to work, just shows "Device cannot start - code 10".
All I want is something to get it out of VGA mode and to ideally 1366x768 resolution, which is the native resolution of the display panel.
I'm not at all concerned about acceleration or anything like that, which is almost certainly impossible.
Any suggestions gratefully received!
Cheers, Dave.

Maybe: https://drp.su/en/laptops/asus/x102ba/chipset?os=windows-xp-x86 (AMD Processor)

- The most correct is: Device manager > [select your device] > Properties > Details > Hardware ID > [copy first line]

I.E.: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0416&SUBSYS_397817AA&REV_06

- Search PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0416&SUBSYS_397817AA&REV_06 on Google or a drivers site as https://drp.su/en/catalog

Sorry I should have said this in the first post!
The hardware ID is PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9839.
I had tried searching for that but didn't come up with anything.
I had a look at that drp.su link, I doubt if there's anything there that will work on XP, and I'm very loathe anyway to use a site that makes you download their "driver installer" to get any drivers, which is almost certainly loaded with spyware at very least, and malware at worst!

Actually drp.su is(was) similar to SDIO. I stopped using it after they started including browsers and whatnot, with a default setting to install them along with your driver.

Did you try modding one of the drivers you got while working on the SATA issue?

And, why open a new discussion when you already have one for this?!

Maybe ask @dencorso to merge both...

Edited by RainyShadow

Oops, another "senior moment"!
I completely forgot about that other thread, that's where I was pointed to VBEMP of course.
Please do merge them @dencorso.
I'm definitely losing it...........
:D
To answer your question, I didn't try modding the INF file in any of the other drivers, if that's what you mean.
I've actually deleted them all now as I was just getting confused as to which was which.
Do you have any recommendations as to a likely one to try?
All the XP Catalyst packages I've seen seem to be much too old to work with an HD series graphics chip.

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

Just one thing I'd like to ask about before I seriously start to see if a proper driver is possible here.

I thought that if a graphics card had no drivers available, it would appear in Device Manager as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".
My card is appearing under "Other devices" as "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)".

This is fine as far as it goes, but it's prompting me to install a driver on every boot, which is really annoying!
I've checked "Don't prompt me again to install this software" umpteen times, but it makes absolutely no difference.

I've tried searching for "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" as a driver option, but it doesn't seem to exist.
How can I make it default to that?
I can't see any left-over third-party graphics driver files in the INF folder, but if I select to search the machine for drivers I just get a list of ancient incompatible ATI drivers, which are presumably the ones that come with Windows XP.

Thanks for any suggestions, I just want to get rid of the constant driver installation nag!
Cheers, Dave.

mmm... Is driverpacks.net == drp.su ?

I am trying install drivers for Windows XP with drp.su AIO Offline package and it doesn't end XD. It is very heavy.

In driverpacks.net there are packages separated by operating systems, I will try XD.

At the moment to look for drivers in the .inf files I am using (not results in my current packages drivers):

FindStr /S /I /C:"DEV_9839" *.inf

There must be ways to force the installation of drivers by modifying the .inf file ... Maybe from Win Up or Win Down Drivers OS versions.

I understand that to disable the automatic installation of drivers you have to:

- Disable Plug and Play Service

or

- Delete DevicePath data on Regedit (query my default data value and delete):

C:\>Reg Query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion" /V "DevicePath"
	! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0
	HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    DevicePath  REG_EXPAND_SZ   %SystemRoot%\inf

C:\>Reg Add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion" /V "DevicePath" /T "REG_EXPAND_SZ" /D "" /F
	The operation completed successfully
	C:\>

-- Restart PC

On 3/26/2020 at 4:00 PM, Dave-H said:

The hardware ID is PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9839.

There are no official XP Radeon HD 8180 drivers according unofficial driver site.
https://www.amd-drivers.com/amd-ati-mobility-drivers.html

Radeon HD 8180 is Kabini architecture.

There are Vista drivers
https://www.amd-drivers.com/download-RadeonHD8180-mobility-driver-for-WindowsVista-32bit.html
https://www.amd-drivers.com/inffile-366.html

[ATI.Mfg.NTx86.6.3]
"%AMD9839.1%" = ati2mtag_Kabini_Mobile, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9839

There are Version 14.4 / 9.000.300.300 Radeon HD 8210 XP drivers
https://www.amd-drivers.com/download-RadeonHD8210-mobility-driver-for-WindowsXP-32bit.html
https://www.amd-drivers.com/inffile-390.html

[ATI.Mfg.NTx86]
"%AMD9830.1%" = ati2mtag_Kabini_Mobile, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9830
"%AMD9831.1%" = ati2mtag_Kabini_Mobile, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9831
"%AMD9832.1%" = ati2mtag_Kabini_Mobile, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9832
"%AMD9833.1%" = ati2mtag_Kabini_Mobile, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9833
"%AMD9834.1%" = ati2mtag_Kabini_Mobile, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9834
"%AMD9835.1%" = ati2mtag_Kabini_Mobile, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9835
"%AMD9836.1%" = ati2mtag_Kabini_Mobile, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9836
"%AMD9837.1%" = ati2mtag_Kabini_Mobile, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9837
"%AMD9838.1%" = ati2mtag_Kabini_Mobile, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9838

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9839 is missing at official inf file.

I wonder about a modded Radeon HD 8180 inf file:
[ATI.Mfg.NTx86]
"%AMD9830.1%" = ati2mtag_Kabini_Mobile, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9839

Does the 14.4 / 9.000.300.300 graphic card driver works at a Asus X102B?
Or is there a yellow mark at device manager?

OK, I gave it a try!
I extracted the driver files, and added my device ID to the INF file.
Running setup didn't offer the graphics driver, so I installed from the INF file.
It installed the driver as "AMD Radeon HD 8240".
I then rebooted and just got the following BSOD.

20200327_235641.thumb.jpg.ae05df06d031d53082d717971bbcea8c.jpg

I had to boot in Safe Mode to get back in, and the driver is still being offered, but presumably won't work again.
It seemed to be so close too!
:(