Windows 98SE shutdown fixes for Qemu and others?

ruthan

Hello,
i have problems with my Qemu virtual machine shutdown, at least sometimes on Windows and always on Linux -  im stuck on blackscreen after shutdown screen.

I tried to read some threads, but download are mostly dead.. or updates are included within some huge update packs.. I would like to have to way how to make quickly shutdown working on clean installation.

I was able to get - 
 ME290831.EXE
TOOLS9X.EXE - which should include some shutdown tools or somethime like that.

I wasnt able to get:
q260067 - Mapped Drives Shutdown Update
q239887 - Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement
Q242934 Windows hangs sending system broadcast message during shutdown

And there could be others. So i would like to make some collection of them.

Other thing is somewhere some shutdown log or other way how to debug, what is wrong?

Edited by ruthan

Thanks, im using last Qemu 4.2.0. 

Settings.. There is not really too much to set, there is emulated i440 chipset. Im not sure if good or bad thing to install intel chipset drivers, i installed it to some my machines and it doesnt hurt.

Its not sound card settings thing - its same with SB16 and AC97 emulation, for all machine im using RTL8139 network card emulation.

I tried to enable / disable acpi  ( through -no-acpi \  i suppose that by default it is enabled).. im not sure it has any effect, or if is needed for proper shutdown?

USB is enabled.

I will keep experimenting maybe i will find some patern, so far im not aware of any.. Only that on Windows, without pass through its at least sometimes working, but on Linux with Passthrough does not, but with more modern Windows XP, Windows 7 machines it worked, so its not pass through bug in general.. its something with Win98.

Edited by ruthan

Ok managed to get it working, removing -no-acpi line is needed for sure, im not 100% sure about intel chipset drivers, but it install some intel power device too.. with both of them it is working.

I will later try only remove the line, without drivers.. but i thing that i already tried that.

I used these drivers -  with filesize - 1,564,436:

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1550&menustate=30,28

Installation of updates wasnt needed, but they will not hurt.

Edited by ruthan

-no-acpi probably disables APM too (not sure), which Windows 98 SE will use when installed with the /p i option to properly shutdown/restart.

It's probably the same issue I have on my H110 motherboard, where shutdown doesn't work (due to Win98SE not using/detecting APM properly), and need to probably use something like FDAPM.

I installed it without any flags, because that is nice with Qemu, that all could be set by the book, that emulated chipset and devices are Win98 compatible. Ok well not 100% for successfull boot into normal mod with emulated cirrus graphics you need to disable Windows 98 boot logo - through msdos.sys and logo=0 or you need to use step by step confirmation - and enable all options.

since i had emulation issues i wonder if its AMD? iS your pc AMD? have you tried qemu on a intel machine instead? i dunno why i query i just think microsoft are roosterheadss these days. we all know what the other word for rooster is :)

they probably all have shares in each other throwing money around.

the best chance of windows 9x on virtual pc's is as few patches as possible and not use internet.

I hate it. As soon as i do the right thing and patch up windows 98 or millennium with good patches to make it more usable it seems to bork about the hpervisors arrogance. It can be qemu, virtualbox, vmware .... they just arrogant ponzies who don't know what a virtual machine truly is. hyper-visors are business orientated for buisness services. and where its open source they all copy each others crap like CASIO and YAMAHA with their synthesizer tone banks. The best virtual pc i ever used was Microsoft virtual PC 2004 edition it even had real disk support you know,  direct disk support it was fantastic to do a first setup phase ready to complete on a real mahine. but nooooo we cannot be trusted. If it had more video memory i would never ventured out into the arrogant hyper-visor crap buggery. Virtual pc SP1 took away real disk support. a security update they called it.

Edited by ZaPbUzZ
typos spelling

Im still on Intel - Z170- its slower, more expensive, but still more compatible, it make sense because of its old history.. But from Qemu point of view, it should really matters, because all is virtualized.. so if Windows / Linux working fine with physical HW, Qemu should too.. maybe it could be only slower. When i saw first Dosbox Ryzen numbers it was disaster, multiple times slower than Intel, i hope that is fixed.

AMD had some issues with messed IOMMu group on Linux, it should be fixed, but you never know, i read lots of new Agesa will fixed promises. I had Ryzen 2200G and Linux gpu, never worked properly, they fixed 2400G, but never 2200G, i waited almost year for that, after that i lost my patience..

I have an AMD A10 CPU/GPU i use an R7 GPU card than the built in cpu one.

theres something about sound hardware support for me but i have experience the same issues you have so i am just going to use real win9x hardware until i hear it works properly again.

If only someone came up with a remote pc connection application for win9x to use hyper-v it'd probably be the answer

Edited by ZaPbUzZ

I've used 86box and PCem but its too slow for me and considering the price of new stuff and the pollution from disposal of what i have i just use the 20 year old pentium 3 instead.

Edited by ZaPbUzZ