Assistance using the unofficial Intel chipset drivers

ryandoesntstress

Even though a motherboard might support ACPI and 98SE, it's still recommended to install via "/p i" to disable it.

Even IBM recommended that for their ThinkPads back in the day, with the T40, T41, T42 line of laptops.

I suspect that problems might be caused by your GPU, can you try a different one compatible with 98SE?

PCI-E compatible GPUs for 98SE include the GeForce 6000 series, and Radeon Xxxx series (X300, X550, X700, X800, X850).

You can also try with a compatible PCI GPU (GeForce FX series, like FX5200 or FX5500)...or even a S3 Trio :)

Edited by MrMateczko

Just tried putting in a Radeon X550. First thing that I noticed was that DOS type screen are razor sharp compared the the Nvidia!

CMD runs without glitches, Duke 1 open normally right away. Duke 3D has no issues either. Restart in MS-DOS Mode works. 

Good call on the GPU. Thanks very much!

Now I'm trying to know if it was that particular card or the unofficial drivers that were causing the problem. 

Any suggestions for a cheap, Windows 98 friendly PCIE GPU?

@ryandoesntstress:

For a nicer experience, choose a card with exactly 256MB of Memory.

If you don't want an additional power cable, the GF 6600 GT is nice, supported under any circumstances, and there are good passively cooled models.

I prefer the NV 7600 GT, though, as it is (quite nearly) as fast as a GF 6800 GTX (which was the fastest supported GPU for W9x), needs no auxiliary power cable, and can can be cooled passively as well. It needs an inf-modded driver, but that is comparably easy to accomplish.

There are models that still have a VGA connector, which comes handy in certain situations, so choose one of those, if you can.

The EVGA Superclocked 7900GTX is the fastest GPU you can get for W9x, but that one definitely needs a modded driver, because it only is available with 512MB of memory, of which W98SE is not fond of.

There is one single 7900 GTX with 256MB of memory, by BFG, i think, but it is neither easy to get, nor cheap,

If you want a reasonably fast GPU, look out for a 7900GS 256MB, which are a bit easier to get.

If you set your target-lock on any of those, PM me, and i will assist.

Edited by ragnargd

@ryandoesnstress: The crackling sound is a problem many audio cards have, this is not restricted to Audigy2 (i had this as well, unfortunately), i had this with i.e. onboard audio as well. It is a manufactoring problem, with bad insulation.

When it appeared with a soundcard, i replaced it. When it happened with onboard-audio, i was only able to "repair" it by replacing the motherboard with an identical (but intact) model.

It's a nuisance.

You can dampen the effect, if you crank up the volume of the computer to 100%, while lowering the volume on the external audio equipment (i.e. the amplifier).

Still, sometimes i had the effect, that the noise appeared when i moved my mouse... that was where i replaced the motherboard... an expensive "solution"... :-(

I have now tried with two alternate 7600GT cards and both give me the same issue. Which is a slight glitch before opening a command prompt and a blank screen when opening Duke Nukum 1 (And I assume other programs and games of similar resolutions).

The monitor says "The current timing is not supported by the monitor display." However if I Alt+Tab away and back again everything works.

Sometimes there is instability still associated near the graphics card if using older games then this instability seems to be enhanced. I would persist with your 7600GT if heatsinking is good on the GPU. I have upped the GPU heatsink size of my 7900 and put stick on heatsinks on the GRAM. There is a whistle if listening carefully under different CPU loads. (instability) and this really went whistling when I tried a 1989 game. Things are improving as I mentioned but the card has some way to go though. I recently turned KEX off on DSound.dll. Moderner games are worth trying to exercise the card or even videos or DVDs. The monitor not working could be the resolution change but often it is the video not getting through to the output properly. The monitor can be checked if working at the resolution of Duke Nukum 1 and you probably know that it is OK from other cards.

>>Just tried putting in a Radeon X550. First thing that I noticed was that DOS type screen are razor sharp compared the the Nvidia!

>>CMD runs without glitches, Duke 1 open normally right away. Duke 3D has no issues either. Restart in MS-DOS Mode works. 

Yes the analogue output was better with ATI later cards and they will work on older games better. The nVidia Quadro FX boards had a better video analogue output but the 7600 should be pretty good - try 1920 x 1080 or 1600 x 1050.

Edited by Goodmaneuver