Windows Vista Skylake update

Arutz Tele

Have you followed the advice of this poster?: 

Sure it's on Haswell, but Skylake's like one generation higher (if you don't count Broadwell).

EDIT: Just checked - that guy has tested it on x86 Vista, which is already confirmed working, so not sure how things may be with Vista x64.

Edited by IntMD

What I've also found out is a screenshot from DeviantArt from awhile back showing proof that Vista x64 worked on a Haswell machine:

https://www.deviantart.com/a11ryanc/art/Desktop-Screenshot-Core-i7-4790k-w-Vista-SP2-623466851

It's kinda ironic that his works, but in the comments I've seen no proof how he got it to run perfectly fine. There could be a possibility.

1 hour ago, Arutz Tele said:

It's kinda ironic that his works, but in the comments I've seen no proof how he got it to run perfectly fine. There could be a possibility.

If you read the description, it says that the config is still inflicted with the "timing initialization flaw" which appears to be the same issue you're facing.

Edited by win32

So I decided to install the x64 version of Windows Server 2008 (R1), which is basically the Server edition of Windows Vista. Enterprise version.

I'm quite surprised I don't get the initialization flaws, but I'll have to see in the next couple reboots. It works okay. Any user who wants to use Vista post-Haswell should try Windows Server 2008 R1 for x64 version, you can transform it to Vista.

UPDATE: Got the services bug again, "Failed to create security dialog" thing showed up.

UPDATE 2: Rebooted, services still start okay. Just installed Wireless LAN Service and it works.

UPDATE 3: Although the OS installed properly, there will be some boot attempts where you get the "Logon Process Initalization Failure" screen, just click OK and it'll get you to the logon screen. I'm installing updates but I don't think it will have any effect on the problems. Some services also won't start.

UPDATE 4: Modified the Intel Skylake Graphics driver to make it work, it installed successfully but cannot run. Installing Platform Update had no effect, but I cannot install the Supplement, but I doubt it wouldn't have a effect neither.

IMG_1245.thumb.jpg.d5d00958706a44745c0d12d6e267dcf2.jpg

Edited by Arutz Tele

On 3/24/2020 at 11:41 PM, Arutz Tele said:

And that's kinda awkward because I find it ironic how would Windows Vista x64 run with many failures on Skylake, while I ran Windows 7 RTM (before installing SP1) and it loaded without any issues what so ever.

I wonder what about Windows XP x64? I think XP x64 could run natively without issues, but requires some more work. I might look into that.

that will work although you need the ahci text mode driver

4 hours ago, burd said:

that will work although you need the ahci text mode driver

This kinda reminds me of what I've done in 2018, trying to boot the XP x64 installer on my HP desktop but I got a ACPI error. I'm not sure if it'll solve the ACPI errors if I use the textmode drivers.

1 hour ago, Arutz Tele said:

This kinda reminds me of what I've done in 2018, trying to boot the XP x64 installer on my HP desktop but I got a ACPI error. I'm not sure if it'll solve the ACPI errors if I use the textmode drivers.

i wouldnt recommend trying it anyhow because it isnt gpt boot and will just waste time

Edited by burd