[SOLVED] Cannot Set New Boot Option in BIOS

Dave-H

8 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Shouldn't it detect the change and load the correct driver, assuming it's on the system of course?

Actually no, not XP. If XP decides it has standard support for the hdd it won't even try to load a driver, during the 1st stage of sysloading, and after it disables BIOS support it finds out it cannot access the hdd anymore, gets flabbergasted and throws a BSOD (which, in unix lingo is "kernel panic", that describes much better how the OS actually feels on finding it has an ACME-built driver).  :}

136c01d995e81073bcd26eeb6542de32.jpg

2 hours ago, jaclaz said:

It is the "assuming it's on the system" assumption that is - at the moment - only an assumption.

Did you actually install the driver  RainyShadow pointed you to?

jaclaz

Well I thought I had!
The driver in Device Manager changed from the generic one to an AMD one, even though it;s running in IDE mode at the moment.
I was assuming that the AMD driver is AHCI capable as well, it's just not using that mode at the moment, but would if it was seeing the right device ID.
:dubbio:

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Well I thought I had!
The driver in Device Manager changed from the generic one to an AMD one, even though it;s running in IDE mode at the moment.
I was assuming that the AMD driver is AHCI capable as well, it's just not using that mode at the moment, but would if it was seeing the right device ID.

Look, I am trying (with some difficulty) to understand what you have done from the (scarce) feedback you provide.

Where we are (according to my understanding of your reports):

1) you installed a bunch of drivers from  IN1VDO11WW1.exe
2) the  IN1VDO11WW1.exe contains BOTH a "plain" driver \\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\hseries\MINI_IDE\XP\, from now on AmdIde.sys, AND:
3) a "RAID" (actually also AHCI) driver \\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\hseries\RAID\, from now on ahcix86.sys
4) I suspected that what you have installed, together with the bunch of drivers in #1 is the Amdide.sys (since you installed it in IDE mode) AND:
5) suggested you to try using the driverinjection to try installing the Ahcix86,sys
6) RainyShadow suggested (correctly) to try installing instead the ahcix86.sys that is in the file IN1AHC20WW1.exe
7)  You failed to report whether you actually followed the suggestion in #6 and went astray with uninstalling VBEMP (hey. look. that is a squirrel ;))

So the questions remain:

a. Did you actually follow RainyShadow's suggestion (per #6 above)?
b. If yes, what happened?
c. If not, what are you waiting for?

If you actually did follow RainyShadow's suggestion (per #6 above) AND upon reboot AND with BIOS set as AHCI you still get a 0x0000007b, then we can move on from this with further troubleshooting steps, namely comparing what you now have in the Registry with the information in the .reg file here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-hardware/how-do-i-change-widows-xp-from-ide-mode-to-ahci/7819a905-cfd9-4966-b2aa-67afc80a31d8?page=8

(post by D J Roff)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Sorry for muddying the waters with the graphics problem, you are absolutely right that I should be concentrating on just one issue at a time!
I've been working on drivers for the graphics and touchpad at the same time and getting in a confused mess.

The ACHI issue really does have the highest priority at the moment as at present I am having to switch the controller mode between operating systems, with is annoying.
I have been confusing myself by installing different drivers in the hope of hitting on one which works, which is obviously not a very scientific way of going about it!

I did install from IN1VDO11WW1, but then tried other AMD Catalyst packages too, mainly to try and find a graphics driver which worked, but they installed other drivers too.
This included most recently the "AMD_WinXP_KV_KB_BON_Jan13_2014.exe" software suite package that @RainyShadowlinked to in a previous post (as an aside it is really beyond annoying that this forum doesn't number its posts!) This being apparently from 2013 seemed to be newer than the  IN1VDO11WW1 (signed 2011) package.

I will now uninstall everything and start again!
I should be able to roll back to the generic Microsoft IDE driver (I hope!)
Sorry for the mess, I should know better after all the times I've solved problems with people here in the past, including you @jaclaz
Cheers, Dave.
:)

OK, I've now removed all the AMD software, and the controller is now back to being the Microsoft "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller".
I've also lost the driver for the HD audio bus and the USB 3 controller, but I know I can now put them back from the AMD package, and they work!
I'm intending to now use the "AMD_WinXP_KV_KB_BON_Jan13_2014.exe" package as it is I suspect the last XP version if it's from 2014, newer than the Lenovo package.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

I'm intending to now use the "AMD_WinXP_KV_KB_BON_Jan13_2014.exe" package as it is I suspect the last XP version if it's from 2014, newer than the Lenovo package.

No, you are intending "wrong".

Who cares if it is newer?

Hint: once you manage (hopefully) to boot in AHCI/SATA mode, you will reasonably be able to update the AHCI/SATA driver.

Do follow the given advice first:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/181337-cannot-set-new-boot-option-in-bios/?do=findComment&comment=1179280

that one is JUST the AHCI/SATA driver AND seemingly it is in a format compatible with driverinjection tool.

jaclaz

16 hours ago, Dave-H said:

So, if the device SATA controller ID does change according to the BIOS setting, why when I put the BIOS to AHCI just it just BSOD when I run XP?
Shouldn't it detect the change and load the correct driver, assuming it's on the system of course?

Boot drivers are marked as CriticalDeviceDatabase.
Boot at IDE mode and add AMD AHCI registry settings at CriticalDeviceDatabase.

Is there a file system32\drivers\ahcix86.sys in the meantime? If not, copy this file manually.

OK, I force installed the Ahcix86,sys RAID driver onto XP using driver inject on 8.1.
All went successfully, but still BSOD 7B on XP startup in AHCI mode.
Still starts OK in IDE mode thank goodness!
The controller is still showing "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller".
ahcix86.sys is not present in the system32\drivers folder.
amd_sata.sys is in the folder, but doesn't seem to be being used.
It identifies as "AHCI 1.2 Device Driver".

Oops, hadn't seen your previous post @jaclaz!
The forum page was sitting there for ages and for some reason it didn't flag that there had been another post.
OK, I will do it again with the driver from the IN1VDO11WW1 package, or are you saying I should be using the IN1AHC20WW1 package?
Sorry to be so confused with all these different packages which all look like different versions of the same thing to me!

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

33 minutes ago, cdob said:

Boot drivers are marked as CriticalDeviceDatabase.
Boot at IDE mode and add AMD AHCI registry settings at CriticalDeviceDatabase.

Is there a file system32\drivers\ahcix86.sys in the meantime? If not, copy this file manually.

Thank you!
What do you think @jaclaz?

Edited by Dave-H

4 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

amd_sata.sys is in the folder, but doesn't seem to be being used.

Now, where did this come from, lol?!

Maybe Win8 prevented something...

Go for the manual approach, both jaclaz and cdob gave you links.

Start XP, copy the driver, import the .reg file, change mode in BIOS and boot.

The setting from 2009 is old. AMD added VEN_1022, e.g. PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7801&CC_0106
Add VEN_1022 too.   
VEN_*&CC_0106 refers to AHCI mode.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_1002&cc_0106]
"Service"="ahcix86"
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_1022&cc_0106]
"Service"="ahcix86"
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix86]
"Type"=dword:00000001
"Start"=dword:00000000
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"Tag"=dword:00000021
"ImagePath"="system32\\drivers\\ahcix86.sys"
"Group"="SCSI Miniport"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix86\Parameters\PnpInterface]
"5"=dword:00000001

Sorry to be thick, but you've lost me there!
Are you saying I should add PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7801&CC_0106 to that registry file before importing it, and it won't work as it is?

Edited by Dave-H
Addition