[SOLVED] Cannot Set New Boot Option in BIOS

Dave-H

Not sure whether this should be here or not, but it is sort of XP related.
I recently acquired another second hand Asus netbook, and I'm hoping to replace my existing Asus netbook with it.
I want to transfer the whole previous system across simply by moving the boot disk from the old netbook to the new one, but I've run into a problem (as always!)

I've installed the disk into the replacement machine, but it won't boot from it, it only goes straight into the BIOS settings.
The SSD is being correctly recognised by the BIOS, but all my attempts to add it as a new boot option have failed.

When I select "path for boot option" it shows the disk correctly, but none of the *.efi files I can find actually work, when I add the new boot option, nothing happens.

Now, here's the complications!
The previous machine was dual boot, with Windows 8.1 and Windows XP.
I used Easy BCD to configure that, to give me the necessary menu to select which OS I wanted to use.
The other possible complication is that both operating systems are 32 bit, and the machine is 64 bit.
I know that I can run a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit machine fine, but is the BIOS expecting 64 bit *.efi files?
There are none on the disk of course.

I've done a lot of research on this, but haven't fond anything that directly relates to this specific problem, most of it is very confusing to me!
I have an ISO backup of all the partitions on the disk, it's partitioned into three drives, Windows 8.1 on C:, Windows XP on D:, and a smaller storage drive which is F:.

Presumably I need to find the boot files from Easy BCD, but where are they?
The BIOS is only offering the folders on the C: drive, I can't see any others, presumably this is because it's the active drive.

There is a <Boot> folder in the root, which seems to just contain folders for different languages, but there's nothing usable there.
There is also a <Boot> subfolder in the <Windows> folder, and that has an <EFI> subfolder which contains "bootmgr.efi" and "bootmgfw.efi".
Neither of these files work to add a boot option though.

Anyone any ideas? Surely this must be possible to do with out reformatting the drive and starting again!
Thanks, Dave.
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Amendment

OK, I've got it working, but I still don't really understand how!

Playing with the BIOS settings, I tried enabling the "Launch CSM" option, which I had to disable the "Secure Boot" option to be able to do.

It immediately came good, without me having to put any other boot settings in, the disk was recognised and the system booted from it!

So, why did I have to do that, why does it boot from its original disk with "Launch CSM" disabled, but won't boot with the replacement disk?

Is there any problem with using it in the mode it's now in, especially as "Secure Boot" can no longer be enabled (if i enable it "Launch CSM" is automatically disabled and it no longer works.)

Any insight gratefully receiver, this is yet more completely new territory for me!
Thanks, Dave.

Many x64 netbooks are made to boot only 32bit *.efi by design.

Also, secure boot needs proper certificates and keys - similar to SSL. Your boot .efi file has to pair up with the CA certificate embedded in the BIOS.

Anything M$ older than Win8 needs CSM, even Win7 can't boot properly on pure EFI.

CSM breaks secure boot - it's either one or the other.

You want XP, so secure boot is off-limits for you.

Thanks very much indeed, that makes perfect sense!
So I guess if I was only using Windows 8.1 I could switch off CSM and have secure boot, but with the dual boot setup that's not possible.
As long as it can be made to work that's fine by me!
Cheers, Dave.

Well, I now have another problem! :(
With my old netbook, I found that Windows XP would not boot with the SATA controller in AHCI mode, I had to use IDE mode.
Windows 8.1 was fine of course.
I fixed that by installing the Intel Application Accelerator, which enabled it to boot in AHCI mode.
I anticipated the same problem with the replacement machine, and of course I found that as expected it wouldn't boot XP in AHCI mode, but changing the mode to IDE now makes no difference, it still won't start, with stop 7B (Inaccessible Boot Device).
Also, Windows 8.1 won't boot in IDE mode either, also blue screening.
So, I can only get into Windows 8.1 in AHCI mode, and I can't get into Windows XP at all!
The other fly in the ointment is that the replacement machine is AMD based, not Intel based, so I obviously can't use the Intel Application Accelerator.
Help!
:D

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

Post EXACT make/model of that PC (and if you know it which EXACT driver is Windows 8.1 using).

Other drivers exist besides the "Intel Application Accelerator", maybe one exists for your chipset.

jaclaz

Hi Jaclaz! :hello:

It's an Asus X102B touchscreen netbook, designed for Windows 8.
It's based on an AMD A4-1200 APU with combined Radeon HD8180 graphics.
It says it's using the standard MS SATA AHCI controller in Windows 8.1 Device Manager.

@Dave-H

Here is a trick i use when switching between IDE and AHCI (or RAID) is problematic.

Boot the system in whatever mode works, then connect a USB HDD and wait until its drivers are installed. Shutdown.

Swap the drives - move the HDD from the USB enclosure to the SATA port, and put the internal HDD (the one with Windows) in the USB case.

Power the system and enter BIOS setup, change the SATA mode.

Boot from USB. Install the SATA/IDE/RAID/whatever drivers. Reboot and start from USB again just to be sure that everything is installed. Shutdown.

Swap the drives back. You shouldn't need the USB case anymore. Boot normally.

This usually works in Win7/8/10.

Or use the attached .reg file at your own risk - don't blame me if your system stops booting at all :P

You may need to change some of the "Start" dword values.

As for WinXP...

Get Snappy Driver Installer Origin , only the application without the driver packs.

Run it in Win8, then close it, no need to download anything.

Look for a .snp file in the logs folder and upload it here so we can check what SATA controller is used in your netbook and search for a driver.

Meanwhile, you can try the IDE driver from the driverInjection program.

@jaclaz

Do you happen to have the tools from the first post of this reboot.pro discussion ? The P2V2P utility and its au3 remake?

I'd like to add them to my collection, but all links seem to be dead...

Win7_ide_ahci.reg

driverInjection_041410.7z

Edited by RainyShadow

Thanks @RainyShadow!

I don't fancy your first method too much as it's a small netbook, not a desktop, so physically moving things around isn't straightforward!
I'll certainly try it if all else fails.

I can boot into Windows 8.1 in AHCI mode with no problem, and I used to do that in XP too, using the Intel Application Accelerator.
Doing the research, it looks as if XP supports AHCI with no problem, as long as it has the right driver installed.
Unfortunately all the information I've found about configuring that driver depend on actually being able to boot into XP in the first place, which at the moment I can't do!

I can access all the XP files in 8.1 of course, and I should be able to access the XP registry in 8.1, using Registry Workshop.
If I did that and changed the entries in the XP registry to match your file, is it possible that it would work?
I'm not at all sure whether XP has the right drivers installed, the Application Accelerator may have been overriding things.
Is there any way of checking that in the XP file system?

Thanks, Dave.

That .reg file is for Vista/7/8/10, not for XP. Same for the USB HDD method.

To add AHCI driver to XP you can use the driverInjection tool from my previous post. But you first have to find out what driver to use.

"standard MS SATA AHCI controller" won't cut it, we need specific controller model to find a suitable driver for XP.

That's why i suggested SDIO, the .snp file (if you share it) can be loaded as "offline system" by me, jaclaz or whoever wants to help, and we will be able to check the device IDs for your system.

I couldn't find X102B at the Asus support site. There is X102BA (which may be the same or a totally different beast), but they don't mention details about SATA there.

Thanks!
Sorry, what do you mean by "F6 floppy image and the extracted files from inside."
:dubbio:
I already have a video driver from bearwindows which is apparently a generic driver which should work.
Is the SDIO one different?
Cheers, Dave.

31 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Sorry, what do you mean by "F6 floppy image and the extracted files from inside."

It is a driver floppy disk you can use when installing Windows. The driver inject tool works with these.

31 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Is the SDIO one different?

The SDIO one is an official AMD driver for this specific video. It may miss some extra programs and/or bloatware provided with the official bundle though. But all functions should work as AMD designed it.

VBEMP is a generic driver, which provides the simple functions of the device. Try playing 3D or a full-screen video on that, lol.

Hmm, thinking about it now, SDIO may have shown me the Win8 compatible drivers it has, i'm not sure.

Did you get XP to boot, yet?

Start SDIO in XP, download the indexes and check again.

[EDIT] you may need these files too.

Couldn't attach them previously due to forum limit...

devcon_for_driverInjection.7z

Edited by RainyShadow
added devcon

Sorry, still configuring other bits of Windows 8.1, then I'm going to bed!
:D
I'm not sure about using floppy disks, there is no facility for that on this machine of course!
:dubbio:
Where do I get the SDIO video driver?

Edited by Dave-H
Addition