USB Format Tool and UEFI_MULTI

wimb

Update USB_FORMAT-54 and UEFI_MULTI-55 plus the Addon-agFM files

Download:  from GitHub USB_FORMAT-54 and UEFI_MULTI-55

Download File E = Encrypted Password = bootwimb

Manual:  VHD_WIMBOOT.pdf

- Added UEFI Grub4dos  and  a1ive UEFI Grub2 for UEFI booting VHD from RAMDISK - Use Super UEFI setting for UEFI Secure booting
- Added signed SVBus driver for UEFI booting VHD from RAMDISK
- Checkbox Add Grub2 System Folder (Often Unneeded - Unchecked saves Copy time and space for 1000 files 12 MB)
- UEFI_MULTI - Added WofCompress of JFX to UnCompress EFI folder inside VHD when Making Boot entries
- EFI folder in VHD needs to be UnCompressed in case of UEFI booting 1 Partition VHD from RAMDISK
UEFI grub4dos version 2020-12-26
- in case of 2 Partition VHD then EFI folder is not made in NTFS partition and when present is renamed as x-EFI

In my case ntfs_x64.efi driver is not needed anymore for UEFI booting of 1 Partition VHD from RAMDISK using UEFI Grub2 Or UEFI Grub4dos
The boot problem of 1 Partition VHD was entirely due to WOF Compression of EFI folder and this problem is solved now

Credits and Thanks to:
a1ive for making UEFI Grub2 and Grub2 FileManager
yaya2007 and a1ive for making UEFI Grub4dos
alacran for help and support
- liuzhaoyzz for help in solving boot_image_handle not found problem in case of UEFI Grub4dos

More Info:  at reboot.pro Forum  VHD_WIMBOOT  and   Grub4dos for UEFI  and  USB_FORMAT and UEFI_MULTI

USB_FORMAT_51_2020-12-17_103331.jpg.39d2c223dd054c0e8c0e5cac656b44e9.jpg == UEFI_MULTI_51_2020-12-17_103534.jpg.1d8e8734f26da14dc68dc81e43613238.jpg

UEFI_RAMOS_10_2020-12-26_133815.thumb.jpg.c6e05a81ad6192b802fde0c0809bf4ff.jpg

Edited by wimb

• 1 month later...

JFYI

I was able to run Puppy Linux slacko64-7.0 from a  folder on the root of U-BOOT partition.

Procedure:

Create Slacko64-7.0 folder on the root of U-BOOT partition.

Download the ISO and extract to that folder, as a bare minimum only following files are required:

fdrv_slacko64_7.0.sfs, initrd.gz, puppy_slacko64_7.0.sfs, vmlinuz and zdrv_slacko64_7.0.sfs (332 MB in total).

This are the menu entries I used:

For a folder (Slacko64-7.0) on the root of U-BOOT (FAT-32) partition on USB device

Default KBD is en-US but can be changed on first boot; pkeys=es is a sample to set my Spanish KBD, delete it if unneeded.

MBR grub4dos

iftitle [if exist (hd0,0)/Slacko64-7.0/puppy_slacko64_7.0.sfs] Puppy Linux Slacko64-7.0 - (hd0,0)/Slacko64-7.0
kernel /Slacko64-7.0/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash pdrv=U-BOOT psubdir=/Slacko64-7.0 pkeys=es pfix=fsck,fsckp
initrd /Slacko64-7.0/initrd.gz

Grub 2

menuentry "Puppy slacko64 7.0" {
    echo "Loading vmlinuz"
    linux /Slacko64-7.0/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash pdrv=U-BOOT psubdir=/Slacko64-7.0 pkeys=es pfix=fsck,fsckp
    echo "Loading initrd.gz"
}

On first boot you are able to edit your settings, connect to your LAN, etc. when you turn off the OS you have the option to create a persistence file, if using default settings it will be slacko64save.4fs file, located into Slacko64-7.0 folder.

NOTE: Every time you close the OS you are allow to save changes or not as you prefer.

alacran

Edited by alacran
Typo

Update USB_FORMAT-57 and UEFI_MULTI-57 plus the Addon-agFM files

Download:  from GitHub USB_FORMAT-57 and UEFI_MULTI-57

Manual:  VHD_WIMBOOT.pdf  and   Win10_Install.pdf

- Update UEFI Grub2 - latest 2021-02-02
- Update UEFI Grub4dos (= Grub4efi Or G4E) - grub4dos-for_UEFI-2021-01-31.7z
- Update Grub4dos - grub4dos-0.4.6a-2021-01-27.7z

Edited by wimb

Thanks for your new versions. I will download and test them ASAP.

I improved a little the menus from my previous post to load Slacko64-7.0 from Slacko64 folder located on the root of U-BOOT or U_NTFS partitions.

For a folder (Slacko64) on the root of U-BOOT or U-NTFS partition on USB device

Default KBD is en-US but can be changed on first boot; pkeys=es is a sample to set my Spanish KBD, delete it if unneeded.

MBR grub4dos

iftitle [if exist (hd0,0)/Slacko64/puppy_slacko64_7.0.sfs] Puppy Linux Slacko64 - (hd0,0)/Slacko64
kernel /Slacko64/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash pdrv=U-BOOT psubdir=/Slacko64 pkeys=es pfix=fsck,fsckp
initrd /Slacko64/initrd.gz

iftitle [if exist (hd0,1)/Slacko64/puppy_slacko64_7.0.sfs] Puppy Linux Slacko64-7.0 - (hd0,1)/Slacko64
root (hd0,1)
kernel /Slacko64/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash pdrv=U-NTFS psubdir=/Slacko64 pkeys=es pfix=fsck,fsckp

UEFI Grub 2

if [ "${grub_platform}" == "efi" ]; then
if [ -e "(hd0,msdos1)/Slacko64/puppy_slacko64_7.0.sfs" ]; then
menuentry "Puppy Linux Slacko64 7.0 - (hd0,msdos1)/Slacko64/puppy_slacko64_7.0.sfs" {
    echo "Loading vmlinuz"
    linux /Slacko64/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash pdrv=U-BOOT psubdir=/Slacko64 pkeys=es pfix=fsck,fsckp
    echo "Loading initrd.gz"
    }
    fi

if [ -e "(hd0,msdos2)/Slacko64/puppy_slacko64_7.0.sfs" ]; then
menuentry "Puppy Linux Slacko64 7.0 - (hd0,msdos2)/Slacko64/puppy_slacko64_7.0.sfs" {
    echo "Loading vmlinuz"
    linux (hd0,msdos2)/Slacko64/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash pdrv=U-NTFS psubdir=/Slacko64 pkeys=es pfix=fsck,fsckp
    echo "Loading initrd.gz"
    initrd (hd0,msdos2)/Slacko64/initrd.gz
    }
    fi
fi

By the way reboot.pro is ofline again, do you have some info of the issue?

alacran

Edited by alacran
Fixed entry for (hd0,0) on MBR grub4dos

@alacran

In your improved menu there is an error in MBR grub4dos menu where Slacko64-7.0 is used instead of Slacko64

See rule

In my case Puppy Linux slacko64-7.0 fails to boot from a  folder on USB and I finish with # command line .... Xorg Wizard

For small size Linux then Porteus-x86_64  315 MB file Porteus-CINNAMON-v5.0rc1-x86_64.iso copied as Porteus.iso in folder images on FAT32 U-BOOT

UEFI_MULTI supplies menu entries for this solution including persistence if desired ....

Edited by wimb

Thanks, allready fixed the post.

Yes, I'm aware Porteus entries are included in your programs, I tested first Porteus, it boots fine, but tested on 2 PCs and the sound do not work on both of them.  Slacko64-7.0 sound works fine.

EDIT: Porteus sound is working fine, but the program do not include any sound file to tets the sound, then from it comes my idea it was not working fine, just tested on Yutube and all is fine.

By the way I usually have found sound issues on many distros, only Ubuntu and Linux-Mint Cinnamon (not the other Mint flavors) worked fine here, In fact your entries for Linux-Mint ISO are working very fine, but I'm looking for something smaller, about 1 GB total size including a 512 MB persistence file.

I'm testing now Puppy Linux Fossapup64 v9.5 (409 MB, released on Sept/2020, based on Ubuntu), entries on menus are same as on Slacko64-7.0, but using Fossapup64 folder.

So far all seems to work fine, it looks even faster than Slacko64-7.0 and more complete, this distro has an small program not included on Slacko64-7.0, (and no name available, to try to install it on other distros) that let rebuild the ISO keeping all the user settings and modifications (packages added and deleted), I want to change the browser for FireFox, I have done this before on other older flavor versions of Puppy, but haven't tested it on this distro yet.

alacran

Edited by alacran

• 6 months later...

Update USB_FORMAT-59 and UEFI_MULTI-59 plus the Addon-agFM files

Download:  from GitHub USB_FORMAT-59 and UEFI_MULTI-59

Manual:  VHD_WIMBOOT.pdf

- Update UEFI Grub4dos (= Grub4efi Or G4E) - grub4dos-for_UEFI-2021-07-23.7z
- Update Grub4dos - grub4dos-0.4.6a-2021-08-13.7z
- Update vdiskchain-1.3 for booting Linux in VHD
- Update Grub2 Menu - Added submenu "EFI Tools Shell" and submenu "Linux ISO and Distro Menu"
- Windows 11 compatible
- Recent Windows Boot Manager - August 2021 - requires for SVBus driver to Disable Driver Signature Enforcement
  SVBus driver needs Load EfiGuard - Disable Windows Driver Signature Enforcement - Or on Boot Entry press F8 for Advanced and Select DSE

Grub2 has now as first menuentry to Load EfiGuard - Enter or wait 10 seconds to activate - Skip by selecting other entry

This works for all Windows entries in Grub2 Menu and the chainloaded UEFI Grub4dos (Grub4efi) Menu and the chainloaded Windows Boot Manager Menu.

Edited by wimb

• 2 months later...
  • wimb featured this topic
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

I have a reference to your .au3 code, but after running this file, the FAT32 USB format selection list for USB is hidden. Made me unable to select on it. Can you tell me how to fix it in your "USB_FORMAT_x64.au3" file?

Thank you so much, I admire you so much!

33.png

11 hours ago, PK29RXT said:

I have a reference to your .au3 code, but after running this file, the FAT32 USB format selection list for USB is hidden. Made me unable to select on it. Can you tell me how to fix it in your "USB_FORMAT_x64.au3" file?

That FAT32 Size Option is Unhidden when you use Windows 10 or 11 as Operating System
and the Option is Hidden in Windows 8 or 7 Operating System that don't support 2 partitions on Removable Devices.

So I suggest you to use Windows 10 x64 or 11 x64 as Operating System.

Edited by wimb

17 hours ago, PK29RXT said:

Thank you so much, 

But I'm using Windows 11 x64 and when I run the file
"USB_FORMAT_x64.au3" still doesn't show FAT--32 option 

Ok, I will check this and report about it later and try to find a solution.