An unspecified error occurred (Random numbers) with Chkdsk on External HD

forjonny

I get this message on my computer with Windows 10 when I try to dock a hard drive in my EZ-Dock and I do a Chkdsk D: /f /r The number (766f6c756d652e63 3f1) is different than the one that you see in the title of this topic though.

Anyhow I get this on all my chkdsks of any hard drive I check. Could not figure out how to fix this problem and read somewhere that it may be Windows 10. I took it to my Windows 7 computer and it completely runs normal and goes thru the 5 steps of chkdsk.

If anyone wants to lemme know what's going on then it will help others. I do all my Windows 10 Pro updates. Got an i-5 Quad with a SSD and 12 GB of ram on this Dell Optiplex so that's my specs.

Anyone know what's going on?

I can't tell you but from my experience it is better to avoid the /r switch unless you have a good reason to use it. It can mark good sectors as bad and destroy files. That's from when I was using it on Windows XP (never used it on Windows 8 until now).

Edited by HarryTri

Just did it on my Windows 10 without the /r and still the same message. I even tried the /x command.  I have tried it in both cmd programs, admin and normal. I also tried it in all my powershell programs and same result. Windows 7 runs it as normal and smooth. Try to YouTube this problem, no one can address this problem.

I haven't tried it in Windows 10 safe mode and I shouldn't have to. What I have to keep a Windows 7 computer around so I can do a chkdsk of hard drives?

Just tried three other drives on the same computer. A 1 TB, a 250 GB and a 320 GB drive with same results. There must be a way of checking an external hard drive on Windows 10 so I can dump my Windows 7 computer. I am talking about the chkdsk command not a hd utility.

Are you running any anti virus programs? If so, remove them and use the uninstaller cleanup tool. Windows Defender is all you need.

Run chkdsk again and things should come back fine. Using chkdsk /r is fine, though if your drive is failing it's better to backup and replace.

1 hour ago, Tarun said:

Are you running any anti virus programs? If so, remove them and use the uninstaller cleanup tool. Windows Defender is all you need.

Run chkdsk again and things should come back fine. Using chkdsk /r is fine, though if your drive is failing it's better to backup and replace.

Sorry....couldn't resist this one...Since when is Windows Defender all you need?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not running any antivirus software, just defender. I am running these computers clean. Note that I have a laptop and desktop with Windows 10 and neither one of these computers will do a chkdsk driveletter: /f /r on these external drives. Tried 3 drives on two different Windows 10 computers with the same result. And the result is: An unspecified error occurred (Random numbers) Also I have tested these drives before and they had no bad sectors. I then put a date on them when I scanned them so I am not worried about if the drives are good. They read good. I am just wondering why Windows 10 gives these messages and my Windows 7 does not and does the full scan.

So I guess that rules that out.

Ok, I just tried something else. I can do a chkdsk D: which is the external drive letter but when I add a switch like /r or /f or both is when I get this error message in the dos window. So something is prevented Win 10 from letting me use the switch on these mechanical drives.

Edited by forjonny

1 hour ago, forjonny said:

Wow, worked for me, fantastic, spent so much time on this too. Worked right away as soon as I turned this off.

Good :), now you should re-enable it and add the chkdisk to the list of exceptions/allowed programs, see:

https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/129008-chkdsk-f-fails-unspecified-error-occurred-2.html#post1596216

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/113430-add-remove-allowed-apps-controlled-folder-access-windows-10-a.html

jaclaz

On 3/5/2020 at 1:21 AM, bookie32 said:

Sorry....couldn't resist this one...Since when is Windows Defender all you need?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No problem asking. Here's some links about how it's the top rated anti-virus.

https://www.techspot.com/news/81396-windows-defender-ranked-joint-best-antivirus-program.html
https://www.howtogeek.com/225385/what’s-the-best-antivirus-for-windows-10-is-windows-defender-good-enough/
https://www.pcmag.com/news/windows-defender-achieves-best-antivirus-status

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I do not believe that crap written by these  so called experts...

Windows defender is only good enough if you know what you are doing....

If you just totally rely on it out of the box...more fool you....

Microsoft have produced the worst operative system since Windows came on the scene and suddenly they are good at an antivirus solution....don't make me laugh....

Sorry....serious tests done do not show it as favourable as your links....

bookie32