New Project: PreInstallation-Injection Script?

ragnargd

Hi,

some of us install W98SE very often. It is, esp. when SP is involved, a tedious process, for there is no room for errors.

Most of us don't install from DVD, but put the installation-files onto disk (or a USB-Stick) in advance.

Given that, what do you think about assembling a package of things that will be used anyway (ServicePack), or are usefull while not hurting (rloews memory patch comes to mind), and inject it via script into the installation base of W98SE (or any other system), to speed up things, and make them work reliable and in the right order without fails?

It is possible, of course, and i would start working on this, that is not my question.

My RFC is: Are there $THINGS that should NOT be in such an injection because of potential problems or incompatibilities? Or which should only be injected via parameters, if the user thinks so? Or $THINGS we should include for good?

Cheers,

Ragnar G.D.

Edited by ragnargd

I would of course use the slipstreaming method, i have tried that successfully already, and it is quite effective.

The idea is, to "slipstream on demand". I think i will just start, and then present my meagre attempts. That will take some days, though... My job was, in fact, software packaging (some years ago, for windows servers), so i think i can manage to get one or two things done. I also picked up some ideas from the way it is done for Lookingglass games modding, and Skyrim. That way, we will be able to avoid copyright-problems, which is quite important in the age of lawyers.