Attempting to install Windows 2K on Thinkpad X201i - Running into SATA driver issues

On 3/3/2020 at 9:22 AM, bluesteel649 said:

I was able to pull the hardware ID

The ID PCI\CC_0101 refers to IDE mode.

The BSOD 0x7b dosn't refer to the SATA disk, more likely to the USB boot.

On 3/3/2020 at 9:22 AM, bluesteel649 said:

I was able to pull the hardware ID

The ID PCI\CC_0101 refers to IDE mode.

The BSOD 0x7b dosn't refer to the SATA disk, more likely to the USB boot.

12 hours ago, win32 said:

Do you have Update Rollup 1 or USP 5.1? That happens when trying to install the extended kernel with base SP4.

Turns out it hadn't installed correctly the first time around. I'm booting with no troubles but am now running into the MSVCR90.DLL not found error when attempting to install a graphics driver...

That indeed did it, everything from BlackWingCat installed with no troubles; though there is a lot that's still missing and I've chalked it down to there simply being no compatibility even with editing Windows XP .INFs. I've decided I'll take a step back from this laptop and find something a bit more readily compatible to daily Windows 2000 (That's in a similar form factor/size to the X201).

Thanks so much for your help Win32 and others. I have definitely learned a lot from this thread for future setups!

Edited by bluesteel649

On 3/4/2020 at 1:40 AM, win32 said:

I noticed a possible error in your iaAHCI.inf. Change

; 3400
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B2E&CC_0101.DeviceDesc% = "Intel(R) 3400 SATA AHCI Controller 4 port"

to

; 3400
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B2E&CC_0101.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B2E&CC_0101

I think PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_XXXE means it works on IDE mode. :3

and  CC_01 means storage class.

CC_0100  SCSI

CC_0101  IDE

CC_0104 RAID

CC_0105 ATA

CC_0106 SATA

CC_0107 SAS

CC_0108 NVM

Edited by blackwingcat

On 3/4/2020 at 2:31 AM, bluesteel649 said:

Unfortunately that correction didn't yield any positive results on my end. I realized I was using an outdated version of the drivers from BWC and got a much more recent release (Intel Rapid Storage Manager 8.9g for Windows 2000 + Extended Core(Intel 300 Series 蟇セ蠢� - also attached). Compiling the cab file's contents as a disk image yields an "iastor.sys is corrupted error" and there is still no mention of DEV_3B2E but there are pre-existing entries for the 5/3400 series; it's no golden bullet but I think it's a much better point to search for a solution from.

Hopefully when I work out why I'm getting the corrupted .sys file error, I might have a bit less of a time working all this out...

iata89gw2k.cab 175.92 kB · 0 downloads

8.9 driver requires Extended kernel core :3

12 hours ago, blackwingcat said:

I think PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_XXXE means it works on IDE mode. :3

Thanks for clearing the differences up.

I suppose this happened because this is actually the proper HWID:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B29&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller"

Edited by win32