Printers working with Windows 2000

Tommy

Here's something that I don't think gets a lot of thought, but at the same time, we need to remain vigilant of it. Those who many not dualboot and use Windows 2000 natively will notice that new printers are getting harder and harder to find that support Windows 2000.

That's where I want this thread to come in. I'm now the proud owner of a brand new HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw printer and of course, the oldest OS it supports is Windows XP Service Pack 3, which is honestly surprising in itself.

So on my quest to find something that worked, I took note that Windows 2000 does have a native Color LaserJet driver available by default, the HP Color LaserJet 8500PS driver. You actually can use the Universal Print Driver v4.7 but to be honest, the above driver works better as the colors seem a bit more true to what they should be, the UPD makes your color images a bit dark.

I decided to take my chances and was pleasantly surprised, this driver WORKS on Windows 2000 for this printer. It communicates without a hitch and prints just fine in color. Now, who can truly argue with that? There may be other, better ones that may work but I felt the need to document this right now and also to just start a thread of printers that are working on Windows 2000 in the year 2020 and beyond. This is one of HP's latest LaserJets so that is fantastic to have a driver working that doesn't even need to be a universal driver. I have not tested this as far as a direct connection goes though as this is communicating over my network wirelessly. Once I get another Ethernet cable, I'm quite positive I will be hardwiring it instead as a direct wire connection is not only faster but more reliable though the router is only 4 feet away from the printer in the next room.

So please, share what you guys find and lets keep Windows 2000 going as long as we can while keeping it as functional as we can! Printing is certainly a fundamental so we need a database that we can ensure proper replacements as our aging hardware fails.

I think that this thread should be expanded to cover all kinds of peripherals.

For example, I bought an EasyCAP SM-USB 007 composite video capture device to capture VHS content. It seems to be quite popular as it's sold on Amazon for a very low price. The drivers on the included CD are only for XP x86 and Vista x64 and up. But a small inf mod is all that is needed to get it working in Windows 2000 (and XP x64), to capture with something like VLC 3.0.x. Please note that the drivers from shady sites do not work for this purpose.

Now back to printers.

When we got an HP DeskJet 3632 a year ago, I was surprised to see that XP was still supported.

Now it's no wonder that HP printers continue to work with such legacy OSes since apparently not much has changed between 1998, when the LaserJet 8500PS came out, and now. So theoretically you could you use Windows 3.0/3.1, which also have 8500PS drivers, to print with your new printer!

I tried to test with the DeskJet but couldn't obtain its IP address (printer kept printing blank pages instead of the one with network info). I have an OfficeJet 6600 which is older (early 2010s) but the generic "HP OfficeJet" driver did not work with it.

When the "LaunchCondition" table was dropped from the MSI of the 2015 driver package, I almost got the user-mode drivers installed in a wireless config but it ultimately failed (probably expecting XP's native WLAN client). Kodak Imaging picks up the TWAIN device but doesn't allow me to scan.

I'm now betting on the Officejet 6500 official win2k driver from 2009 to work with my printer.

Edited by win32

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm reading that Epson Laser Color is Windows 2000 compatible in 2020.

Or so it seemed to me since it has been a mirage that I cannot understand. Since if we enter today on  the official Epson website there are only laser printers before 2009
https://epson.com/Support/Printers/sh/s1
Then looking elsewhere I have seen this one that is from the year 2012.

Epson Aculaser C9300N - DIN A3 only 1560 euros ;-) ;)
https://www.directindustry.es/prod/epson-europe/product-32942-1128431.html

It seems that it is difficult to find the Good, Pretty and Cheap model, you have to look at them one by one.

Other brands:
Brother => They don't give drivers for 2000-XP in 2020

Canon => They do give drivers for Windows XP in 2020, for some models.

HP=> Latest Driver Package for XPe is HP Universal Print Driver Add-on 4.7.0.4 REV-A2 for XPe - sp42764 (year?) Not for 2000-XP in 2020
But I have tried to download 2 drivers for Windows Seven and these have been installed perfectly in Windows XP (I have not tested if the printers work).
------ HP Color Laser MFP 178nw ------
HP_Color_Laser_MFP_178_179_Full_Software_and_Drivers_1.14.exe
------ HP M254dw Laser Jet Pro ------
HP_LaserJet_M252_PCL6_Legacy_Print_Driver_15309.exe

Konica Minolta => I only see that they offer a universal driver for sale by contacting by form
https://www.konicaminolta.eu/eu-en/software/connectivity/universal-print-driver
In their models I only see industrial machines

Kyocera => No offer drivers for 2000-XP in 2020

Lexmark => They do not give for 2000-XP in 2020 (last drivers for XP in February 2017)

Ricoh => They do not offer drivers for 2000-XP in 2020

Samsung => (drivers are provided by HP because HP purchased Samsung Printers Business) Not for 2000-XP in 2020

Xerox => They have drivers for Windows XP in 2020, on some models.
Note: Models not available for Windows XP seem to work with the Xerox Universal Drivers for Windows Seven on Windows XP (at least they install perfectly).

For example the offered for Xerox Phaser 6510.

I am very happy with my HP Laserjet 1018 monochrome printer. I found it in the trash in my neighborhood 5 years ago and it is perfect. No problem, print many sheets at a very low price.
Now I was looking to buy a color laser printer, but after what I'm reading, I fell back. It is too large and has little use as well as poor print quality.
Especially it is difficult to choose a model online with compatible drivers.
Almost better I hope to find it in the trash :-) :lol:

Edit:
I read that Epson is committed to its EcoTank inkjet technology from 2014, ruling out laser printers.
In any case, the latest laser models that were put on the market do not come on its website, only the ones prior to 2009 come.
It seems that the explanation is that domestic laser printers only exist until 2009.

On the Epson Europe page I have found an updated range of professional laser printers compatible with Windows 2000.
Its performance is from 50,000 pages per month and its price is monochrome from 120 euros and color from 1660 euros.
https://www.epson.eu/products/printers/

In addition I have found that the range of auto-fed scanners is also compatible with Windows 2000.
Its performance is from 65 ppm and its price I have not seen less than 800 euros.
https://www.epson.eu/products

I am glad that Seiko Epson is still compatible with Windows 2000, it is a fact that gives a lot of value to the brand.
I complain that all the websites of any manufacturer are becoming more complicated every day, with videos and tutorials without practical use and without schematic comparative information that allows a quick purchase. Today it is very difficult to buy!

Furthermore, Epson professional laser printers are only found in Europe and Oceania.

Ameria and Asia => Inkjet only.
Professional laser printers are not offered on Epson America and Epson Asia websites. Only inkjet are offered.
www.epson.com
www.epson.jp

Europe and Oceania => Laser and inkjet.
The series offered in Europe are:
Monochrome:
-WorkForce AL-M320xx
-WorkForce AL-M400xx
Color:
-Aculaser C-9300xxxx
It seems that professional Epson laser printers are only offered in Europe and oceania.
www.epson.eu
www.epson.es
www.epson.com.au
www.epson.co.nz

Edited by Cixert

• 2 years later...