My Pictures cannot be edited any more, What!

forjonny

The pictures I have had for years I cannot edit. I can save them to my desktop and the computer does not argue with that. I had the pictures on Windows 7 and now I have 10 and these photos cannot be edited at all. The message is this when I try to do any kind of edit. "This .jpg already exists and is read only. You can save the file with another name or to another location"
Anyhow when I right clicked on the jpeg it does not have a checkmark in the Read only box but Windows says it is read only. Never had any issues with these .jpgs before. I was getting the same message with some .docs that were created in Word as well. If I hit Don't save then the no editing has happened and the photo closes. I am opening them with Microsoft Office 2010 Picture Manager.

Don't know why this is happening.

Note: I just opened this one jpeg in Paint and added a caption and it did save that. I then opened it in Microsoft Office 2010 Picture Manager and did a simple crop to see if I could save it and got the same stupid error message. So I had to hit Don't Save again. But whatever I did in Paint it was on the image though.

Last edited by jonnyb; Today at 02:22 PM.

I suspect ACL issues. The security context that Paint runs under may be different than with the Office Picture Manager. Windows Explorer isn't always accurate when showing whether a file is read-only or not. I would recommend going to the command prompt and using attrib to see. Example:

E:\Brute!\msfn>attrib installer.bat
A            E:\Brute!\msfn\installer.bat

E:\Brute!\msfn>attrib remover.bat
A    R       E:\Brute!\msfn\remover.bat

E:\Brute!\msfn>attrib -r remover.bat

E:\Brute!\msfn>attrib remover.bat
A            E:\Brute!\msfn\remover.bat

E:\Brute!\msfn>

The attrib command is only showing the file system attributes, A is archive, R is read-only. Two others may appear S for system and H for hidden. Any user accoun in the Everyone group should be able to change any file with A or H attributes. R cannot be changed by anything, and S may only be changed by an Administrator account or one of the security contexts.

You can then use cacls to view the security priveledges of files:

E:\Brute!\msfn>cacls remover.bat
E:\Brute!\msfn\remover.bat BUILTIN\Administrators:(ID)F
                           NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(ID)F
                           NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(ID)C
                           BUILTIN\Users:(ID)R

In the above example, R is Read, C is change and F is full control. An account in the Administrators group can do anything with this file, but an account in the Users group would only be able to read it. An account in the Users group would recieve a message similar to what you had gotten, that the file already exists and cannot be saved, that the file is read-only and/or that you can save it with a different file name. You can use cacls to grant permission to files or directories.

https://ss64.com/nt/cacls.html

On 3/3/2020 at 4:39 PM, Tripredacus said:

You can then use cacls to view the security privileges of files:

You can view and change them in File Properties>Security (at least on Windows 8), it is just easier. Also cacls was on Windows XP (were there was no security tab in the file properties on Home Edition, only in Safe Mode), on later Windows it is icacls, isn't it?

@Tripredacus

Are you on Windows XP?:)

I am in Windows 10. Ya know the most corrupt OS ever built. Can't even do a chkdsk on external HDs on this stupid OS. My Win 7 will though.

Anyhow I have a zillion pictures so I want them all to be editable. Some though I have no problem, cropping and then saving or any editing. Some that I have worked with before now cannot be edited. I used to have these pictures on my Windows 7 computer. Copied them to my external, put them on Windows 10 and now I have issues.

What is wrong with Microsoft? I don't have the time or knowledge to fix their OS, I mean Service.

18 hours ago, HarryTri said:

You can view and change them in File Properties>Security (at least on Windows 8), it is just easier. Also cacls was on Windows XP (were there was no security tab in the file properties on Home Edition, only in Safe Mode), on later Windows it is icacls, isn't it?

@Tripredacus

Are you on Windows XP?:)

I am on Windows 7, but look at the second line of the link I posted. To me (at least) the cacls explanation for usage is laid out easier than that on the icacls page. However, icacls doesn't support SDDL like cacls does.

I did this and think I fixed it. Add an Allowed App through Controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender Security Center. One of things I added was something related to Office called: OIS.exe and then I went to my picture and did an edit and saved it as normal. What a hassel to take a week to figure this out! There is a tutorial here:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/113430-add-remove-allowed-apps-controlled-folder-access-windows-10-a.html

I had to add chkdsk to this list so I could check external hard drives for errors because my chkdsk would not complete. Now, can I scream?

Related thread about CHKDISK issues (only to keep info as together as possible):

OIS.EXE should be the Microsoft Office Picture Manager, I believe it is not in Office since Office 2010 version, so maybe you installed that (or an earlier version) or some other MS Office components of that (or earlier) version?

jaclaz