Microsoft Teams and Windows XP

FranceBB

First of all, Yandex Browser is Russian. The latest version supporting XP is Yandex Browser 17.4.1.919, and it really helped me once I couldn't use fake user-agent.

Secondly, you should download MyPal browser. It's based on latest PaleMoon versions and supports everything.

Edited by Comrade_Hajji

7 hours ago, Comrade_Hajji said:

First of all, Yandex Browser is Russian. The latest version supporting XP is Yandex Browser 17.4.1.919, and it really helped me once I couldn't use fake user-agent.

Secondly, you should download MyPal browser. It's based on latest PaleMoon versions and supports everything.

I've downloaded and installed the very last version of MyPal. It does actually load the email (Outlook 365) with the new view, just like Chromium 54 does, however, when I try to open up Teams, it just hangs in there doing nothing. It says that is loading, but it really isn't...

As a matter of fact, it's behaving pretty much like NewMoon from Roytam; after all both MyPal and NewMoon are updated XP-Compatible forks of Palemoon afaik...

2uqHQcH.png

I guess I'm gonna have to use Windows 10 for quite some time after all... :'(

Edited by FranceBB

Well, when I get back to my XP x64 machine next week, I'm going to set up a VM with the lightest OS capable of running M$ Teams and run it in seamless mode. Hopefully Debian 10 x64 will be good enough for seamless with VMware WS 10 since the former is about six years newer than the latter. Or maybe WS 11 will work in XP x64... Or I'll just go for W8 x86.

Edited by win32

14 hours ago, FranceBB said:

I've downloaded and installed the very last version of MyPal. It does actually load the email (Outlook 365) with the new view, just like Chromium 54 does, however, when I try to open up Teams, it just hangs in there doing nothing. It says that is loading, but it really isn't...

As a matter of fact, it's behaving pretty much like NewMoon from Roytam; after all both MyPal and NewMoon are updated XP-Compatible forks of Palemoon afaik...

2uqHQcH.png

I guess I'm gonna have to use Windows 10 for quite some time after all... :'(

Is it possible to load this page or url or whatever, with the Inspector open? At least Error Console or Network tab (network tab isn't cached, so it needs to be open when the page load starts), it could give some hints as to what is not working properly with the browser.

1 hour ago, Tripredacus said:

Is it possible to load this page or url or whatever, with the Inspector open? At least Error Console or Network tab (network tab isn't cached, so it needs to be open when the page load starts), it could give some hints as to what is not working properly with the browser.

Sure.

Does this help?

OjJh72L.png

OK the first things that need to be resolved are the Content Security Policy errors. These are generated when an add-on or feature of the browser is specifically blocking a portion of a page. This can be a script blocker, any rules to block domains or types of scripts. Anything that would block cookies, (possibly XSS) or mixed/outside content, privacy settings, etc.

You can look up each error to get a hint of where the problem is. The first one is specifically due to the site using frames, but is using an outdated method. This could be because the browser is blocking this use of frames, the browser is too new for the intended purpose or (more likely) the site developer is not using the appropriate coding for the target browser. OR that the browser is picking up a kludge for a specific browser when it isn't supposed to (aka, a compatibility fix, which may be sent erroneously if you are using a custom user agent).

Ref: https://superuser.com/questions/1456787/what-does-this-mean-content-security-policy-directive-frame-src-has-been-de

You can expand out the info on those other red lines to get more info. You'd need to research each to see if there is anything that can be done only on the client. There is also likely a lot of errors that are not the cause of the problem, and that a site may work fine with them being present. And also, without a full understanding of the page structure, it would be impossible to know which is worth focusing on and which isn't. Especially if this is a remote page and not something you have code access to. BUT, that is why the Content Security Policy errors should be the priority.

Well, M$ Teams works in OG Pale Moon 28.8.0 on 2012R2! Service workers were not enabled.

But Serpent 52 x64 on the same machine/OS fails. I wonder what component was removed from roytam's builds (or the other XP-compatible browsers) to make it fail.

All I could reach with Chrome 49 is shown below.

--disable-infobars --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.4) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/90.0.3732.0 Safari/537.36" --no-referrers

Can send messages but can't see the chat. This shame describes all the attitude of M$ to their products: fancy interface is working while the simplest thing -- reading the text -- does not. 

Edited by Comrade_Hajji

Chrome 49? Really?! That is bizarre, 'cause with Chromium 54 and my fake user agent: "C:\Programs\Advanced Chrome\chrome.exe" --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/83.0.4102.3 Safari/537.36" all I could see is a big fat blank page...

17 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Chrome 49? Really?! That is bizarre, 'cause with Chromium 54 and my fake user agent: "C:\Programs\Advanced Chrome\chrome.exe" --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/83.0.4102.3 Safari/537.36" all I could see is a big fat blank page...

Keep in mind Advanced Chrome 54 is older then regular Chrome 49

OK, some things have changed for the better. :thumbup Unless you're using Windows 2000. :(

Teams in 360 Extreme Explorer 11.0.2251.0 does work on XP x64, and probably NT 5.1 as well, but fails on Windows 2000. Only some minor cosmetic glitches seem to occur. Stuff like conferencing cannot be tested as I don't have a webcam handy.untitled.thumb.PNG.e5de80f75870ad85e3abe0e000ba4c6f.PNG

My laptop actually can't run XP due to issues with the inbox drivers, so it looks I'm going to have to put Server 2003 to use M$ Teams. At least no VMs are necessary.

UPDATE: turns out that the situation with win2k is fixable. I think I just need to get mozglue.dll (and chrome_elf.dll?) to call XP's crypto files much like my fix for Office 2007.

Edited by win32

• 2 weeks later...