Microsoft Teams and Windows XP

FranceBB

Due to the recent outbreak of Coronavirus, I was asked to stay at home and do "smart working" which basically means to work remotely from home.

I managed to login to Office 365 and access Outlook 365 with the modern UI by using Chromium 54 spoofed as Chromium 81 and everything works fine except for Microsoft Teams, which is a messaging system developed by Microsoft to be used as a built-in replacement of Skype for Business for chats, calls and video-calls between coworkers working for the same company. It's very well integrated inside the Office 365 Suite, however I have a problem... If I try to access it with Chromium 54 spoofed as Chromium 81 it doesn't load and if I try to use the very latest version of NewMoon made by @roytam1 it says that my browser is not supported. Of course I also tried to download and patch the official x86 Windows Executable but it's closed source and I've got tons of missing calls.

Does anybody here use Microsoft Teams?

https://teams.microsoft.com/downloads

Microsoft Teams (Office 365 Suite) on NewMoon, Roytam latest build:

8gY26sq.png

Outlook 365 on Chromium 54 spoofed as Chromium 81

"chrome.exe" --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/81.0.4031.0 Safari/537.36"

kCzXe2c.png

Outlook 365 on NewMoon (Roytam version):

BAHEeVJ.png

I use it, but on Windows 10. It is an actual program, not something I ever have run in a browser.

I recommend you do not use that method of hiding details. Use solid block pen type, use Black or similar color to the text you are trying to hide. Using red in this way means you can easily use a "decoder" image to view and get the text underneath.

Could you try to do this:
Enter about:config.
Create a new string with that name:
general.useragent.override.teams.microsoft.com

Copy and paste this to the value section:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/73.0

I recommend you to use Firefox 52.9 or Serpent 55 for most successful results, as they are the newer versions.

I tried what you suggested, but nope. Nothing to do. Not NewMoon nor Basilisk are updated enough to support Teams: the web app starts loading as I tricked Microsoft by faking the user agent as you suggested, however after a bit of time it stops loading and just says that there's an issue.

NUpnXfI.png

oAk9UhA.png

1 hour ago, DragonSC7601 said:

Oh, well, then you might have to try Chromium browsers like "Yandex Browser" or "360 Extreme Explorer", seems Firefox-based browsers doesn't have the features it needs.

I'm not really a fan of Chinese browsers to be fair... You know, I don't want Winnie the Flu spying on me...

On 2/25/2020 at 3:42 PM, Tripredacus said:

I use it, but on Windows 10. It is an actual program, not something I ever have run in a browser.

Desktop version runs on Electron and thus is actually a chromium-based web browser limited to specific apps. Try opening shared excel or word file in browser in Office Online, and then in Teams and you'll quickly realize they're same breed.

7 hours ago, FranceBB said:

I tried what you suggested, but nope. Nothing to do. Not NewMoon nor Basilisk are updated enough to support Teams: the web app starts loading as I tricked Microsoft by faking the user agent as you suggested, however after a bit of time it stops loading and just says that there's an issue.

Maybe check service workers? Weren't they disabled in Basilisk by default?

I'd also take a guess that M$ might be blocking it if you do not use multithreading. check those options too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 2:55 PM, FranceBB said:

I'm not really a fan of Chinese browsers to be fair... You know, I don't want Winnie the Flu spying on me...

it's been repacked by someone else and if you are good enough on browser analyltics you can check it out by yourself whether they are spying on you.

do you really think Google and Mozilla are ladies of charity ?

https://www.ghacks.net/2020/02/19/why-is-firefox-establishing-connections-to-detectportal-firefox-com-on-start/

Edited by caliber

• 3 weeks later...

Even with all service worker options enabled and multithreading on Serpent, all I could get was an authentication loop. And the same thing happens with 360 11.0.2251.0!!

So Teams is dead on NT 5.x. :realmad:

My last hope is to get Debian 10 x86 onto my laptop but M$ only made x64 Linux packages!! And Windows 7 is just massive compared to NT5.x.

Did anyone make a progress on that issue? My relatives using Basilisk XP Mod from RoyTam need teams on XP since today... I'm really thinking about installing Win 7 next to XP on that machine.

My last thought is 360 Explorer - did anyone try testing Teams on that?

1 hour ago, Mcinwwl said:

My last thought is 360 Explorer - did anyone try testing Teams on that?

2 hours ago, win32 said:

all I could get was an authentication loop. And the same thing happens with 360 11.0.2251.0!!

And that "authentication loop" results in failure, as it tries several times to log in but returns me to the login page.

Unfortunately my "solution" (which is NOT a solution, really) was a dual boot with Windows 10...

(Yes I'm half on the dark side now :( )

I'm using Windows 10 as a "work only OS" with my email, all my Office 365 services like Yammer, Excel Online, Word Online ecc and of course Teams. I also installed Skype for Business and it works fine. Of course, you can just imagine how p***ed off I am of booting Win10 every morning during the time I have to work, but still... -.-

As soon as I finish my work-related stuff, though, I shut down Win10 and boot back into XP... Still, Microsoft won this round... :'( @Dibya

Anyway if you look at it I made it resemble XP as much as possible:

My Windows 10:

jtclL7O.png

My Windows XP:

CMikymY.png

Edited by FranceBB

10 hours ago, FranceBB said:

(Yes I'm half on the dark side now :( )

No you cannot! :w00t:

That's the WHOLE point of taking sides ;).

What you are experiencing is not entirely unlike having an alien parasite (symbiote/klyntar) taking possession of your body (and mind). :ph34r: (minus the increased strength and mental and healing powers)

They are creepy, slimy and very, very dangerous, see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbiote_(comics)

jaclaz

1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

No you cannot! :w00t:

That's the WHOLE point of taking sides ;).

What you are experiencing is not entirely unlike having an alien parasite (symbiote/klyntar) taking possession of your body (and mind). :ph34r: (minus the increased strength and mental and healing powers)

They are creepy, slimy and very, very dangerous, see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbiote_(comics)

HAHAHAHA

I guess I'm doomed then xD