Slipstreaming all MSO 2010 updates

InterLinked

On 1/4/2021 at 9:33 AM, abbodi1406 said:

I wish i saw this topic earlier, i would have recommended to try WHDownloader program

a downloader for Windows and Office updates, including 2010
it require .NET 4.x
after running it, press on the upper left blue arrow to download update lists, then choose Office2010-x86
all updates are post SP2  

[....]

Is there a way to incorporate All of the these updates into one overall install into an even more integrated install than this current Updates folder method? 

In other words integrate/install all updates so it's now an all in one single install footprint, and does Not need to go though that Updates folder within which has SP2 and the few dozen post SP2 updates - which all those individual updates installers process then adds on so much size and redundancy just to replace files.

For instance installing the Office base installer takes up 1.5 GB, but as soon as you install SP2 (which is just replacing files and updating registries) ..but SP2 is yet another nearly 1 GB's of footprint just to keep copies of the old, and then when you add in all the post updates it all adds even more - and all together it creates over 3 GB of an install footprint - when if all the files were truly installed/integrated within itself Beforehand without having to do it as a separate update process via that Updates folder, it would be a much simpler and more efficient install.

My point is not about saving space here!  ...it's about installer simplicity and efficiency.

They do that with new Windows OS versions slip streaming installs all the time right. Why cant it be done with this old Office 2010 SP2 as well? Why the secondary Update folder that installs 'afterwards' onto the base, that adds so much retained bloat?

Edited by endeavor
re-worded better (well I tried anyway)

• 3 weeks later...

I know it‘s a little bit Off-Topic but there is something strange I recently noticed regarding Office updates.

Microsoft tends to update their Office Suites 6 months beyond their official End-of-Life cycle.

Office 2007: Ended in October 2017 but was updated till April 2018

Office 2010: Ender in October 2020 but was updated till April 2021

Office 2013: Officially ended last month but I recently installed the May security update (15.0.5553.1000) through WU. So, I can expect it to receive updates till October?

Edited by yoltboy01

• 9 months later...
On 1/27/2021 at 8:33 PM, InterLinked said:

Weird, you didn't get offered KB4493142?

Seems like there were 5 total updates.

Hello InterLinked,

I know it's been over 3 years since you last posted about getting updates for MS Office 2010 Pro x86 version, but I just can't give up on my copy on this new machine.  I recently purchased a new Dell machine with Windows 11 Home and want to install my original copy of Office 2010 Pro that currently resides on my Windows 7 machine.  I already have the SP1 and SP2 installation files saved on the old machine.  I've read all 6 pages of your trials and tribulations, but the one thing I've apparently missed is where is the file that you created containing all of the updates after that SP2?  I do NOT want to give up my Office 2010!!  It does all we need and more, so don't wanna pay MS for stuff I don't need nor want.  I know, for about $400 I can upgrade to Office Pro 2021, but I'm pretty sure that MS isn't going to release anything new after that since they're moving to the pay-as-you-go model for Office.

Any assistance you or anyone else can provide would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks,
ThorPan

Edited by ThorPan

On 3/13/2024 at 6:24 PM, ThorPan said:

Hello InterLinked,

I know it's been over 3 years since you last posted about getting updates for MS Office 2010 Pro x86 version, but I just can't give up on my copy on this new machine.  I recently purchased a new Dell machine with Windows 11 Home and want to install my original copy of Office 2010 Pro that currently resides on my Windows 7 machine.  I already have the SP1 and SP2 installation files saved on the old machine.  I've read all 6 pages of your trials and tribulations, but the one thing I've apparently missed is where is the file that you created containing all of the updates after that SP2?  I do NOT want to give up my Office 2010!!  It does all we need and more, so don't wanna pay MS for stuff I don't need nor want.  I know, for about $400 I can upgrade to Office Pro 2021, but I'm pretty sure that MS isn't going to release anything new after that since they're moving to the pay-as-you-go model for Office.

Any assistance you or anyone else can provide would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks,
ThorPan

Hi @ThorPan

It is definitely doable, I am still using Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2010 and have no plans to change that, ever.

I have no interest in the newer garbage, I get free 365 licenses through work and such, but 365 sucks so bad I have no desire or interest in using those.

I did have to install Outlook 2016 about a year or so ago since Microsoft now blocks Exchange access to Outlook 2010, so they did prevent me from using Outlook 2010 :realmad: but at least I have the rest of Office 2010 still 

It's been so long my memory may be faulty, I don't think I ever published a file with the updates, I only published instructions and data on update supersedence. Anything I did publish on this would likely be here: https://w2k.phreaknet.org/

Locally on my network, I have all the extracted files on my deployment server, so whenever I PXE boot and reimage a machine using MDT, it gets the latest slipstreamed Windows 7 with any software I elect, including Office 2010 as best patched as I can. I haven't updated the update list in some time though I think updates for 2010 have been discontinued for some time now anyways. I guess the one silver lining is I no longer have to worry about regular software updates or maintenance :P

7 hours ago, InterLinked said:

Hi @ThorPan

It is definitely doable, I am still using Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2010 and have no plans to change that, ever.

I have no interest in the newer garbage, I get free 365 licenses through work and such, but 365 sucks so bad I have no desire or interest in using those.

I did have to install Outlook 2016 about a year or so ago since Microsoft now blocks Exchange access to Outlook 2010, so they did prevent me from using Outlook 2010 :realmad: but at least I have the rest of Office 2010 still 

It's been so long my memory may be faulty, I don't think I ever published a file with the updates, I only published instructions and data on update supersedence. Anything I did publish on this would likely be here: https://w2k.phreaknet.org/

Locally on my network, I have all the extracted files on my deployment server, so whenever I PXE boot and reimage a machine using MDT, it gets the latest slipstreamed Windows 7 with any software I elect, including Office 2010 as best patched as I can. I haven't updated the update list in some time though I think updates for 2010 have been discontinued for some time now anyways. I guess the one silver lining is I no longer have to worry about regular software updates or maintenance :P

Hi InterLinked,

Thank you so very much for responding to me!!

We use POP3 mail for all our email needs, so we're still good to go there :) :)

I figured if anyone in the world had an installation file for all of the Office 2010 updates, it would have to be you considering the in-depth messages you posted here.  WOW!!  It was impressive!

The only thing I was able to find on phreaknet related to Office 2010 was "Office 2010 Supersedence Chart".  That will help, but without actually having all the update files, it doesn't really do me a lot of good.  Since I never (well, hardly ever anyways) delete any installation files, there's a lot of Windows update files on my old PC, so perhaps I can find enough of them to perform some Office updates after SP2.  If I was really savvy, I could use them to a slipstream an install file and make it available to others who are running into the same problem I am.  Unfortunately, I'm not that savvy, and it's only gets worse the older I get.  LOL!

Thanks again, and enjoy your weekend!!!

ThorPan

Edited by ThorPan