USB wont boot

Hi all

After 6month haitus I use nlite again, I always have done things the same way and it worked i.e. customize unattended install with nlite > use nlite to make .iso > burn said ISO to usb with rufus. This ALWAYS WORKED. But now, (albeit on a new motherboard) there is a blinking light at boot from USB... Is the motherboard doing something different?

My only guess is that older motherboards check subdirectories (i.e, inside i386) for relevant files and new UEFI based board don't.
The current items on the highest most directory of USB are:

I386 folder
$OEM$ folder
WIN51
WIN51IP
WIN51IP.SP2
WIN51IP.SP3

I can't recal if this is typical or not. I just never had to care to pay attention to USB booting files because rufus and nlite always did the work automatically..

I really dislike when small problems like this sprout out of nowhere - its really annoying.

Edited by shorterxp

hmm. Thanks for heads up. I'd like the disk to be as compatible as possible. I noted that E2B has elements of CSM. I was already experimenting with E2B  I just wanted to test the finalized .ISO in the short term.

here is the BIOS. When only Legacy is ticked , blinking underscore still persists. BIOS must be broken.

Image1.png

Edited by shorterxp

The blinking cursor - generally speaking means that the stick has some issue in its partitioning/format (typically a mismatch between CHS and LBA but also a mismatch with the geometry of the device).

Try booting the stick on another PC, if it boots there, the stick (and its partitioning/format) is fine and you need to find out what settings on your new firmwatre allow to boot from it, there may be other settings that are in conflict.

Historically there are BIOSes that simply won't boot from this (or that) code (as an example Insyde BIOS had issues with several grub4dos and syslinux versions), but it is strange that this (recent)  Intel one fails with Rufus.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz