On viewing YouTube videos with the "ViewTube" browser extension and XP WMP

kuja killer

kuja killer said:

there's no way for me to edit any of these settings, cause they dont show up at all in the "playback and performance" screen on https://www.youtube.com/account_playback -- do any of you guys get any sort of video player settings on that page ?? ...

I tried like using a windows 10 + firefox 70 user agent directly on that page for example...but didnt make the options appear still. :(

And i really dont like the fact that i would be forced to logout every time i want to watch a video that wont load because my youtube account is apparently setup wrong by those stupid google/youtube people. (the developers or whoever got rid of the freaking options that used to be there)

Since your prob has shifted now to a perhaps more general one, and especially with new known search terms, it's probably easier to just start a new round of googling before fiddling with complicated script stuff ;-)
Perhaps even this gives new clues?
https://support.google.com/youtube/topic/9257502?hl=en&ref_topic=9257500
Or perhaps page properties reveal anything, or developer tools? (Ctrl + Shift + I)
Or those "Advanced settings" link in Dave's screenshot (no clue, can't try it myself) Edited by siria

i've already spent hours (no joke) trying desperately to search about those dang video account playback options last night. ..and there's not 1 single topic that mentions them, in the youtube help articles there.

What about my last question ?? About getting "viewtube" to always read from the googlevideo domain instead of youtube, is it possible ??

Dave-H - yea... figures. It's worthless. (if you click View => Page Style => No Style ...then there's clearly stuff related to "AV1" codec ..but no buttons or checkmark boxes or anything to edit.. :(

https://i.imgur.com/9gGRAnk.png

Edited by kuja killer

kuja killer said:
> What about my last question ?? About getting "viewtube" to always read from
> the googlevideo domain instead of youtube, is it possible ??

Let me first say I'm the wrong person for complicated JS stuff, only am forced to try and struggle with it anyway for selfhelp in old os+browser occasionally, so meanwhile have gotten a tiny bit but still bloody beginner skills. Far too little for such scripts, keep that in mind. Just have an own interest in getting direct download links too, and a few days ago tried to dig around in the html source and in another YT userscript, mainly comparing the links for different video qualities. And the prob is: they are all completely different! Just look at how endless long those links are. Some of its query keys look logical, but not all (to me).
Just saying this gives me strong doubts that a mere domain replacement would help much. Rather suspect the domain is just an indicator, a symptom, but not the root of your probs. Also suspicious: your problematic links are not url-escaped (e.g. contain a real slash in mimetype key instead of %2F.) But only you can test and tell, since only you seem to get this different page code! Others don't even have the html source, and aren't clairvoyant. For example, you could copy a link that works and one that doesn't, for the same video quality, and compare them?
But overall it makes more sense to try again to figure out the root cause, which would solve all symptoms too.
Regarding logging in/out, what if you just block all cookies globally when watching a video? That would at least keep the login data.

Hmm i see. :| Well, i kinda suspect if those darn options werent ever removed in the first place, from the account playback settings page, that would probably fix my account with like "i have slow internet, never play videos in higher quality" - higher than 360p or something, i dont know. That was there in the past...

Well for now i sort of have an idea what to do whenever i encounter videos that dont load in WMP ...just turn off the viewtube script temporarily, reload the page so the normal video player loads. that works. At least for now. So far i havent really come across any non-loading videos yet except everything on my own page.. :(

My videos date back to 2009 ..i didnt ever use no fancy codecs or anything. just "xvid" - so i dont know what the hell youtube did to screw them up.

https://www.youtube.com/user/kujakiller/videos

I dont watch a whole lot. Just gaming-related videos most of the time by users: raocow - DoctorNovakaine - avgn (angry video game nerd) and some others ..luckily all videos from these guys load fine in the WMP-viewtube player....at least i hope it'll stay that way. - This viewtube+WMP combo really helps because it doesnt lag/stutter or anything like the normal youtube player does (firefox-only) - And 720p (the high defintion mp4 option i think ??) has far less CPU usage compared to it

Edited by kuja killer

kuja killer said:
> if those darn options werent ever removed in the first place, from the account playback settings page,
> that would probably fix my account with like "i have slow internet, never play videos in higher quality"
> - higher than 360p or something, i dont know. That was there in the past...

Just remembered something else:
try youtube URL-parameters as workaround?
https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/9863/are-the-parameters-for-www-youtube-com-watch-documented/90007
=> to get 360x480.mp4 videos, add "&fmt=18" in the urlbar, for testing
(The table there is not complete, there exist a bunch more "itag" sizes meanwhile, and flv is dead of course)

If this works, you can think further about a bookmarklet or userstyle to add to every video link on your userpage.
Or perhaps copy and modify the script that you already have to add that "polymer" string in the url...?

51 minutes ago, siria said:

Just remembered something else:
try youtube URL-parameters as workaround?
https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/9863/are-the-parameters-for-www-youtube-com-watch-documented/90007
=> to get 360x480.mp4 videos, add "&fmt=18" in the urlbar, for testing
(The table there is not complete, there exist a bunch more "itag" sizes meanwhile, and flv is dead of course)

If this works, you can think further about a bookmarklet or userstyle to add to every video link on your userpage.
Or perhaps copy and modify the script that you already have to add that "polymer" string in the url...?

No luck as usual. :(

g2ERWVD.png

I can only just hope i dont run into this issue, on any other people's videos in the near-future.

Edited by kuja killer

Couldn't resist searching a bit more, but the only thing ressembling your prob is 7 years old.
One would think that's certainly long sinced fixed (cross-site certificates), but who knows, perhaps the ever increasing security features are tripping again?
https://support.google.com/youtube/forum/AAAAiuErobUB1pUSICnZ-M/?hl=en

Anyway, did I get you right that this prob occurs *only* when logged in with yahoo? In that case Google is probably just enforcing their ownership power, insisting that everyone logs in with a google account now, even when the genuine old accounts still work in theory...

Edited by siria

I've started getting a new problem since a few days ago, would it be best to make a new topic discussion here so I dont derail this one ?

Its not really related to the youtube stuff, but since doing all this firefox/youtube stuff, for the first time literally in years and years, i've been getting random explorer.exe crashes, with no indication what the problem file(s) is. always saying "unknown model, 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000", etc.. It's pretty much never happened in my life before since having this computer. It's very hard to really say "when" it happens. Somtimes once per 1 day, a few hours, a few days. And I dont know if this was because of installing the latest K-Lite Codec Pack, or the windows media player 11. :(

Edited by kuja killer

FWIW I don't think the recent discussions about using WMP to view YouTube videos should be in this thread anyway, as it was originally specifically about enabling them in older Firefox browsers on XP.
When does explorer crash, is it while you're doing something specific, or are the crashes just seemingly random, and happen even if there is no explorer window open?
:dubbio:

yea, sorry that i dragged it on for so long until i finally got it settled. I'll uhh, start a new a thread about my current problem if thats okay. I realize there's dozens of other websites/forums to ask, but i already signed up to this one and I dont feel in the mood to go try a bunch of other random forums.

• dencorso changed the title to On viewing YouTube videos with the "ViewTube" browser extension and XP WMP

I use a combination of Viewtube + WMP plugin, 3DYD Youtube Source filter and YouTube 2 Player add-on.

https://i.imgur.com/I5IGXy4.png

The Youtube Source filter is configured to select H.264 video stream of 720p or lower resolution (so my GPU decoding kicks in) and the best AAC audio stream. It muxes video+audio and provides it to the player/plugin. It also provides subs/CC if available.

The YT2Players add-on highlights links to video pages and adds right-click menu entries to open them in external player. It can also replace embeds with static image + link, and also replace links with embeds.

btw. my plugin-container.exe often crashes after i have viewed a video with the WMP plugin and closed the page (never during playback). Maybe it fails to properly unload the plugin?

Edited by RainyShadow
added pic

• 2 weeks later...