Running Windows 2000 in 2020...

Bruninho

1 hour ago, win32 said:

I've seen a few reports elsewhere of up to 980 Ti being used with win2k, all with no complaints.

I've since tested the 980 Ti on W2k Pro (as well as XP x64), and in both instances it works fine.  I hope to update the relevant threads soon.

Right now I am saving a snapshot of my Win 2k VM to test a newly released version of SeaMonkey on it.

Edit: It did install. But the browser refuses to run no matter the compatiblity setting I choose. So no, the newest SeaMonkey won't work with Win 2k + BlackWingCat, with 2.49.5 being the last supported one.

Edited by Bruninho

Some interesting news regarding Blender 2.80, the last 32bit version.

If you install extended kernel (v3.0e) with all Vista/7 functions enabled, it almost runs, but it doesn't due to the missing API import CreateEventExA. If you change it to CreateEventA, it runs. This procedure should also work with XP/2003 with xompie, but cannot confirm.

It crashes for me when trying to render, but I believe that is due to my GPU not supporting OpenGL 3.3, not because of win2k.

14 hours ago, win32 said:

it almost runs, but it doesn't due to the missing API import CreateEventExA. If you change it to CreateEventA, it runs.

That can't work without also modifying the calling code as the signatures of the two APIs are incompatible.

Or having a simple wrapper function in a proxy DLL or similar that would properly pass the parameters to CreateEventA, which could look like:

HANDLE CreateEventExA(LPSECURITY_ATTRIBUTES lpEventAttributes, LPCSTR lpName, DWORD dwFlags, DWORD dwDesiredAccess)
{
	return CreateEventA(lpEventAttributes, dwFlags & CREATE_EVENT_MANUAL_RESET, dwFlags & CREATE_EVENT_INITIAL_SET, lpName);
}

I don't know if there would be issues or not due to ignoring the access rights that the last parameter of CreateEventExA deals with.

15 hours ago, win32 said:

It crashes for me when trying to render, but I believe that is due to my GPU not supporting OpenGL 3.3, not because of win2k.

Should show the message box like this (source):

OiLEk.jpg

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Should show the message box like this (source):

OiLEk.jpg

It does when using fcwin2k/application verifier to tell Blender that it's running on Vista or above. If it's set to win2k/XP, the message doesn't appear and it runs.

On 3/18/2020 at 5:16 AM, UCyborg said:

It starts and then crashes when trying to render?

Yes. That and opening the "shading" section.

UPDATE: not anymore after upgrading my driver from 261.19 to 320.92, which adds support for up to OpenGL 4.3. So Windows 2000 is cleared for the final 32bit version of Blender! :thumbup except if you need to use your keyboard, as it only seems to respond to mouse input. is it using raw input much like PCem/86box which also have this problem?

Edited by win32

I just wanted to let you guys know about getutm.app, UTM is an app to run Qemu on iOS. The latest beta release has improved a lot, I can now run Windows 2000 Professional on my iPad Pro 2nd gen 64GB, I created a 16GB hard disk image for that. I went with Win 2k to see how far I could go. Currently I can allocate 1GB of RAM for that machine - But I believe I can allocate twice more, so I could probably have a smooth FIFA 99 or Need For Speed II gameplay.

I have almost everything working (sound, networking, vga...) except clipboard copy/paste and file sharing. So far so good, I havent tested games or apps. But I suspect it wont be powerful enough for this. And I wanted a DOSPad replacement anyway, DOSPad is too old (2015 / iOS 10), so I will transfer my VMWare Win 3.x machine to replace and use less storage and resources. I could run Win 98 - But without a good browsing option, I quickly discarded the idea.

Something probably wasn't properly installed in my Win2k QEMU. I cannot update the Windows Update Agent with the WUA installer (reports unrecoverable error and complains about the lack of MSVCRT90.dll) and I cannot install last supported WinZip version too.

While on VMWare I  can still access Windows Update and run WinZip.

I've lost almost two days trying to debug the problem.

3 hours ago, win32 said:

Try replacing riched20.dll with the one from the XP SP3 package. BWC's version seems to be dependent on VC++ 2008 and has issues with some installers.

that did the trick and msvcr90.dll from another win2k install I had working. Managed to install net 2.0 and vc++ 2008. then WUA 3.0. All clear for me now. thanks