Running Windows 2000 in 2020...

Bruninho

I would like to know how do I turn this thing off, it’s annoying. Windows 2000 marks with a bevel around the apps I (supposedly) did not use yet or are “new”. I want it to behave like it was in 98 - nothing around them.

See screenshot:

DDF8B904-BD31-4E38-9787-68A5362AF7F0.jpeg

Edited by Bruninho

Hi, I'd like to say thank you all for the help. Certainly the name "Use personalized menus" for this option doesn't make sense at all but it worked.

It's great to see the Windows 2000 still working so well, even with @blackwingcat's amazing kernel extender, I'm using the latest SeaMonkey (2.49.5) to post this here. Although this is not Windows 98 (Which I loved much more) it is almost the exact same thing, so I have a similar experience like I had when I was a kid.

Just FYI, The screenshot I posted shows two Netscapes, but they aren't real Netscape; It's just SeaMonkey and Pale Moon 28.x skinned to look like old (v4 and v9, respectively) Netscape, which was my browser of choice back in late 90's.

Thank you all!

2 hours ago, jaclaz said:

I believe you mean "it looks almost like it". :dubbio:

jaclaz

Yeah. I need to sleep a bit more :P

Although I think that I tried to say it literally how it is spelled in brazilian portuguese - "é quase exatamente a mesma...." ("it's almost exactly the same...").

Sure :), the point is that a Win 2K may look like a Win9x but it is very, very different from it as an Operating System.

For no apparent reason, an image video (no need for translation and worth more than one thousand words ;)):

jaclaz

Ahhhh the Peugeot 206, my very first car (2001). I hated that car. Not because of the car itself, but because of Peugeot assistance. It was terrible - even my 2009 iMac was more serviceable than this damn car. Hahahahaha

Now, if only I could kinda "rebrand" one of my two browsers to look a lot more like Netscape (change the icons and the app window title name). I know I can change the icons with Resource Hacker. But I have no clue for the app name on window title bar.

2 hours ago, jumper said:

App window title name is usually a standard Mozilla preference menu option.

I found an extension for Firefox, edited its install.rdf to allow SeaMonkey to install it. Then I used it to rebrand as Netscape. It worked. Now SeaMonkey looks like Netscape... fun!

I did something quick just to see if it works, but later I will do a proper clean rebranding. It requires some icons and images and a few texts that are optional. I will get the Netscape default theme for its icons and Resource Hacker for some texts inside the app. For now I will leave it as it is.

Edited by Bruninho

• 3 weeks later...