Missing Country Flags under members' avatars

VistaLover

14 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Looks like the flags issue is back. The popup with the country name still shows when you hover over where the flag is supposed to be.

Yep, I don't have them too.

no flag.png

Does it make any difference? While at least you and I (and many long-time members) actually do use flags that trully reflect their location, many others don't, so I don't think this actualy enhances privacy much. Did some aspect of it escape me?  :dubbio:

The "status quo ante" was to always display the designated flag under a member's avatar; as you say, not all members are being totally honest about their actual location :rolleyes: (but admins can surely check members' IPs to verify a flag's validity), so my mention of "privacy concerns" was within the context of me trying to figure out a reasoning behind the new configuration of displaying flags only when signed in... ;) :)

5 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

[...] was within the context of me trying to figure out a reasoning behind the new configuration [...]

Oh! That's easy! People at Invision actually live by the motto "if it ain't broken, fix it until it gets FUBAR", of course! :yes:

4 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

I dislike the new position

... Me too ;)

4 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

I've set uBlock Origin to block the flags entirely

No need to, as you can achieve the same via account settings:

KSqSYCn.jpg

BTW, do the IPS people not know how to spell English correctly?

"wantt" ???

It's strange why some members do not have their flag shown at all , this one , for example . I think it's unfair . My flag is shown , even though I removed the country information before this new "feature". Why this member's flag is not shown ?

no flag shown.png

10 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Why this member's flag is not shown ?

I can only hypothesize, but there is a special account setting for that:

JpSjK9n.jpg

<OT> Are you using some custom dark theme for MSFN? Or is it some extension? <OT/>

If we stop updating the forum software, we'll lose the anti-spam tools that help us keep this space bearable. Therefore, it's not an option. All those minor cosmectic annoyances are an inseparable part of the package, so we're stuck with them. So, please, stop nit-picking because of 'em all and, with all due respect, get a life! :crazy:

4 hours ago, VistaLover said:

<OT> Are you using some custom dark theme for MSFN? Or is it some extension? <OT/>

Yes , some custom dark theme , since the original dark theme has been removed from MSFN.

21 hours ago, dencorso said:

Oh! That's easy! People at Invision actually live by the motto "if it ain't broken, fix it until it gets FUBAR", of course! :yes:

The big update occurred several days ago. You think there was another software update recently rather than just someone messing with the settings behind the scenes?

9 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

The big update occurred several days ago. You think there was another software update recently rather than just someone messing with the settings behind the scenes?

Both. We were at 4.5.4.0 at that point and now we're at 4.5.4.2, so yes... both, since each incremental update has to be tweaked and stabilised before the next one is applied, and I don't really know whether the point we are at is the latest already or not. So patience, for now.