Downgraded back to 7 after getting sick of 10, will I be fine?

Erebus26

Windows 7 will remain a viable choice for all those things through the late 2020s by my guess. The major browsers will drop support earlier, but there will probably be builds from people like roytam1 (if not himself) for a very long time.

You'll be fine, but the best setup is to update only to 2017-08, not install any telemetry updates, and after 2016-09, install security only updates.

There's a premade ISO, stock ISO, guides for installing Windows 7 on modern chipsets, and a list of telemetry and suspected telemetry updates on r/coolstar

I think driver support on more recent systems won't be an issue at present but if somebody comes here in the not too distant future wanting to do the same thing on a then contemporary PC it could be.

I had problems with Windows XP in 2016 which I originally wanted to work in dual boot with Win7. It was actually the lack of a specific MB driver required to use XP with SATA HDDs, the SATA Controller driver, that caused the biggest trouble.

When I bought the MB the listing said it was XP compatible.  However when I finally started building the PC I discovered too late the version I had only supported Win7 and 8. By luck I guess all the other important drivers did still work with XP, it was just that SATA Controller one that did not.

I eventually found a generic XP SATA Controller driver for the MB and managed to install it without a full XP re-install. Under XP the Device Manager says it is working but it is not. I still have to swap to legacy IDE mode in the BIOS/UEFI then reboot and choose the XP OS boot drive to get it to launch and go through the reverse process to get back to Win7. Utter pain and why I now use XP on a VM instead.

That sort of thing and the undoubted inexorable increase in the ending of important software support for Win7 will, slowly, reduce its use as a primary OS and its overall viability.     

Edited by WalksInSilence

1 hour ago, Radish said:

I am on Windows 7 and will sticking with it. I would guess that will fine for me for many years. However, you should read the entire thread posted here for some things to consider: Update Win 7, or Not ? and act on the information there.

I might benchmark various update configs on an older Intel rig, if I do this, I’ll post the results in a thread here and make an edit or comment to/on my post.

10 minutes ago, WalksInSilence said:

That sort of thing and the undoubted inexorable increase in the ending of important software support for Win7 will, slowly, reduce its use as a primary OS and its overall viability.     

Windows 7 (With an update) supports M.2, and enough people use 7 for software to support it. If Chrome is pulling support for Windows 7, let them, less Chrome marketshare is better 

13 hours ago, burd said:

as long as you have drivers you should be all good 

Will i have to worry about getting my login information possibly stolen? I know it’s no longer supported so I’m sure there’s some people out there taking advantage of it and stealing info

1 minute ago, Erebus26 said:

Will i have to worry about getting my login information possibly stolen? I know it’s no longer supported so I’m sure there’s some people out there taking advantage of it and stealing info

As long as you have a up to date browser, and don’t click on ads, you should be fine

I've been using Windows 2000 Professional for several months now as my primary OS now and it works great.

With kernel modifications, I even have Office 2007 working seamlessly.

The problem is I really need Office 2010, the best and really the oldest usable version of Office, and I've been getting away with running it in a Server 2003 VM until now. But that adds overhead. Still, W2K is incredibly stable and fast.

So if people can use W2K 20 years after it was released, then W7 should be at least as usable ten years from now, probably still more usable.

At this point, I'm considering using Windows 7 and/or Windows Vista Ultimate as a secondary OS to handle things like Office 2010, which Windows 2000 is just not ideal for.

That way, Windows 10 can be completely avoided, since Vista and 7 are modern enough to do what I can't do in Windows 2000 (which is really not a lot).

On 2/12/2020 at 7:30 PM, Erebus26 said:

theres a way to get esu updates , im currently using them and up to date on windows 7