Storage spaces with vhdx inside

frankr2994

I just had a question of whether this is a good practice or not. It seems to work fine but I've only short term tested. I will have 4 physical disk that I will make a mirrored storage space pool formatted refs. Pool will be 8tb physical and I'm going to set it to 32tb for future expansion. I then want to make 2 vhdx drives within this. Each vhdx will be set to 16tb. I can obviously keep an eye of the physical storage being used and add 2 drives at a time when needed. What I have a concern about is the vhdx inside the refs pool. Vhdx is formatted ntfs. Do I get the benefits of refs while using this setup or is this just a totally wrong setup? 

Why do you want to use vhdx drives and you don't just use the storage space pool itself (divided to two mirror storage space pools if you want - although storage space pools don't work in this way, they have redundancy themselves and there is no need for mirrors, I don't know if I understand what you want to do correctly).

I was just looking for a clean way to set this up. I want the redundancy and I want to have 2 separate drives. What I liked about my idea is that I can use all of my drive space no matter how much or how little I have on a vhdx I mean like if I divided everything up so I had 2 4tb drives I could put 4tb on each obviously. The other way I could have 7 on one and 1 on the other. Now that's not realistic but 5 and 3 probably is. I thought about just using 1 pool and creating 2 files in it which would work I just thought it would be a little nicer to point to a specific drive. I'm probably over thinking this but regardless of what I do I'd like an answer. I found this asked one other time on a different forum and the answer was unclear.  I thought it would have been common to have a large refs pool that people would set a bunch of vhdx's up for virtual machines but I'm either wrong or nobody post about it lol.