YT may not work on old browsers anymore, starting March 2020

reboot12

FWIW I've never noticed any scrolling problems on FF 52.9.1 ESR.
It always seems to be fine to me.
The problem must be due to running it in the sandbox I would have thought.
:dubbio:

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

FWIW I've never noticed any scrolling problems on FF 52.9.1 ESR.
It always seems to be fine to me.
The problem must be due to running it in the sandbox I would have thought.
:dubbio:

hrm dang. :( well it doesnt matter wether i use sandboxie or not, that's defintely not it. I've still been spending hours nonstop and still havent had any luck. More things i've tried from all the endless threads i've looked at from google search: webgl.disabled, gfx.webrender.force-disabled (okay this one didnt exist in about config, so i added it manually to test), layers.prefer-opengl, webgl.disable-angle, gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.force-enabled

Nothing period keeps firefox smooth at all times beyond the first few minutes, until having to restart whole browser. I've made purely zero progress still. :(

Edited by kuja killer

OK, well the other variable in the system is your graphics card of course.
The visual performance of browsers is very dependent on how they interface with the machine's graphics, especially when it comes to things like playing demanding videos.
Of course that doesn't explain why your original installation of non-ESR Firefox 52 presumably didn't have the problem, with the same hardware.
I have a very old video card. I do have "Use hardware acceleration when available" ticked, but I suspect that it isn't actually available!
The symptoms sound like a buffer is getting full or something like that, and re-starting the browser clears it.
:)

Thats the last possible thing i was thinking about, for the graphics hardware. I have a Dell Latitude D620 laptop, which is Intel GM 945 Graphics. I get errors and/or "blocked/blacklisted" in the troubleshooting info page.

https://i.imgur.com/jrLTZ25.png

https://i.imgur.com/tNJNHih.png

All the "force enables" with everything dont help as i mentioned earlier, to get past those errors or blocks. Is that why the opengl, webgl, and use hardware acceleration all dont do a thing ??

And according to this page, the only supported version not blocked is "4926" -- https://wiki.mozilla.org/Blocklisting/Blocked_Graphics_Drivers#Intel_cards

And this page ...the last possible update that was ever published for this model was 4814 - https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=984x8&oscode=ww1&productcode=latitude-d620#otherversion

So it wont even make a difference if i try to install that since I would of needed 4926 i guess, which is from Intel 945G ...not GM ..(a different motherboard type)

So i'm seriously screwed then huh ??

Edited by kuja killer

But am I right in assuming that your original installation of non-ESR Firefox 52 didn't have this scrolling problem?
If so, I wouldn't have thought that it was an intrinsic problem with the graphics hardware.
More likely it is a configuration issue somewhere in the new version of Firefox.
As you seem to have tried a lot of different settings parameters, and there is always a chance that settings can interact, so changing just one wouldn't necessarily affect the problem, I would try resetting all the configuration options to their defaults and see if the problem is still there then.
To be safe, take a backup of your Firefox profile folder, and then if you get into trouble you can always restore it to get your present configuration back.

Is there a workaround for New Moon or Basilisk yet? I've tried changing the UA string to various firefox versions and nothing changes. The yellow banner is still present.

Thank you in advance :)

Edited by sal here

1 hour ago, sal here said:

Is there a workaround for New Moon or Basilisk yet? I've tried changing the UA string to various firefox versions and nothing changes. The yellow banner is still present.

Thank you in advance :)

Have you tried higher than Firefox 63 ?

Yes I've tried changing the YT specific UA sting all the way up to Firefox 71 and its still there. The only browser (for XP) that doesn't have this issue is Maxthon and I'm not really keen on using the browser because of privacy concerns. But if New Moon won't work with YT work after March, It will still be my main browser and I'll just use Maxthon for YT only I guess.

Edited by sal here

On 2/6/2020 at 11:54 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Yeah, I decided to test that with dear old Tycho (forked from Firefox 38 if I remember correctly). Is the situation the same for Yandex 17 as for Chrome 49?

If you use New Moon 27.9 or K-Meleon 76.2 by RoyTam1, then you can set the YouTube UA override to a number between 44.0 and 62.0 in order to force the Polymer v1 layout. The same also goes for UXP browsers. UA string: general.useragent.override.youtube.com

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko 20100101 Firefox/60.0 PaleMoon/27.9.7

Edited by ClassicNick

The banner is not present in newer New Moon 28 releases because the default user agent for youtube.com references Firefox 60, so Polymer v1 appears there (and it's much slower than the old layout on my Core Duo T2400 :realmad:).

As for Serpent, I simply blocked the banner's elements using uBlock Origin.

18 hours ago, Dave-H said:

But am I right in assuming that your original installation of non-ESR Firefox 52 didn't have this scrolling problem?
If so, I wouldn't have thought that it was an intrinsic problem with the graphics hardware.
More likely it is a configuration issue somewhere in the new version of Firefox.
As you seem to have tried a lot of different settings parameters, and there is always a chance that settings can interact, so changing just one wouldn't necessarily affect the problem, I would try resetting all the configuration options to their defaults and see if the problem is still there then.
To be safe, take a backup of your Firefox profile folder, and then if you get into trouble you can always restore it to get your present configuration back.

I don't really remember cause I didnt really quite pay attention to it. So i'm not 100% sure. :( I would always restart firefox every couple days on average though.

I'm very depressed ...i tried that UOC+Enforce patch mentioned and ...no, still the same. :( Still doesnt last very long until scrolling is no longer 100% smooth (including watching youtube videos, until the smoothness starts skipping/stuttering)

The 120 FPS i thought really was going to work, when i turned on the "draw fps" thing to monitor it, but it just gradually drops after awhile ..even at like 80 or 90-something...the smoothness is no longer happening. :(

That UOC thing also breaks slack, ..it will never accept the Firefox 60 user agent i have to use to get past the "browser no longer supported" screen. I was guessing it was somethiing with all the dozens of "network.xxx" lines i saw in the UOC file. I don't know.

Also youtube gets weird looking in Full Screen, like it doesnt fill the whole screen anymore, and I can see parts of the video images of "related videos" on the side for example.

1 test I did  earlier was...open firefox, just only 1 active tab, nothing else. There's no animations or scripts or anything like that going. Everything is just fine at first, so i minimize firefox and come back like 20 minutes later. Never touched the computer or anything, bring back up firefox and....no more 100% smoothness (youtube watching as well)

It just doesnt make sense. ...i give up. i have to live with this then. *cry*

Chrome doesnt ever have these problems. But probably because of how every tab is an actual seperate chrome.exe, and closing said tab will terminate that particular instance of the chrome process. (while the firefox multiprocess mode does not) - But i get a yellow label for youtube saying there going to get rid of it soon (as this topic was originally about) ..also slack doesnt work with Chrome there, for some reason has messed up page rendering problems that make it almost impossible to see anything on the screen except the options/info at the top of the screen, firefox is fine though.

Edited by kuja killer

7 hours ago, win32 said:

The banner is not present in newer New Moon 28 releases because the default user agent for youtube.com references Firefox 60, so Polymer v1 appears there (and it's much slower than the old layout on my Core Duo T2400 :realmad:).

As for Serpent, I simply blocked the banner's elements using uBlock Origin.

Well, that's a good thing, no? Pretty sure YT will kill the old layout this year soon, so we're left with the worst scenario - Pv1...