YT may not work on old browsers anymore, starting March 2020

reboot12

Both the videos that are failing for you are OK here.

YouTube.thumb.jpg.b66e71816bc55289b72d42abed0abdcc.jpg

Interesting that you have the banner saying that some plugins are no longer supported.
Just to confirm, you are using the ESR version of Firefox 52?
If not, that could well be the problem.
:)

• dencorso changed the title to YT may not work on old browsers anymore, starting March 2020

10 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Both the videos that are failing for you are OK here.

YouTube.thumb.jpg.b66e71816bc55289b72d42abed0abdcc.jpg

Interesting that you have the banner saying that some plugins are no longer supported.
Just to confirm, you are using the ESR version of Firefox 52?
If not, that could well be the problem.

dang. :( Well, im on regular 52.0 - I didnt go to 52.9 because I'm afraid it may completely kill the online web version of "slack" for me which I need. (i always have to use a firefox 60 user agent for that to load, and it works like only 75% of the time, sometimes have to refresh several times with the FF 60 user agent, for it to load)

So i dont currently use 52.9. Is that it, for youtube ?? I'll say by the way, i did follow all the instructions very carefully on this page a long time ago:

I did everything right, but there's only 1 single value i currently have disabled that does not ever seem to work properly. Which is "media.gmp.decoder.enabled"

If i set that to true, then youtube videos will try to load, but always stay in that spinning circle animation forever. Seriously. Doesnt matter if i click the seek bar a thousand times to any specific time on a video, it'll never get out of that loading animation, and it also completely breaks the "troubleshooting information" screen on firefox. for some reason all boxes won't be populated at all, until i set it to "disabled". I dont know what's up with that. :(

I'm on the 52.9.1 ESR version because it is the very last version of official Firefox which is XP compatible.
It also supports all plugins.
I'm afraid I've no idea if "slack" will still work for you with 52 ESR, I'm afraid that the only way to find out is to try it!
I would try installing 52.9.1 ESR as a separate installation into a new folder, which should not affect the existing installation, and give it a try.
If it works OK, I would update your existing installation of 52 to 52 ESR.
If there are still problems with YouTube then, it will be a lot easier for me and others to try and diagnose.
At the moment we don't know what effect it not being the ESR version could be having.

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

On 2/7/2020 at 7:53 AM, Dave-H said:

I would try installing 52.9.1 ESR as a separate installation into a new folder, which should not affect the existing installation, and give it a try.
If it works OK, I would update your existing installation of 52 to 52 ESR.
If there are still problems with YouTube then, it will be a lot easier for me and others to try and diagnose.
At the moment we don't know what effect it not being the ESR version could be having.

To Dave-H or anyone else. Okay, well i've spent countless hours since then with literally next to no sleep trying to look up this situation. I've googled and read through dozens of sites/forums, even toggled other settings on/off not mentioned in the 1st post of the "enable h264 etc etc" post here. I've tried everything i can possibly ever think of and haven't figured out... until now..sort of. :(

First, i always use firefox in a program called "sandboxie" - I have the last supported version of sandboxie - 5.22 -- the changelog page said something about fixing h264 with firefox + sandboxie since 5.20. Okay .. But that didn't help. So then i tried installing firefox 52.0 seperately to the computer ("not" sandbox" ..follow all the directions again, etc. And to my surprise, my youtube videos now load.

After closer insepection, i think i FINALLY found out what exactly this is. The "plugin-container.exe" apparently is required for youtube to work now. I didnt know that. I've heard and read nothing bad purely bad things about plugin-container.exe and how it should be disabled to run things more smoothly. I confirmed by just simply deleting it from the program files folder, reload firefox, and my youtube videos, twitter videos/gifs, mp4 test sites, they all go back to that spinning circle animation forever ...i un-delete the plugin-container.exe ...try again, and now youtube and everything works.

But...it wont ever show up in sandboxie for some reason and i have no idea why. :( I then finally installed the firefox 52.9.1 you said, "sandboxed" but still didnt help. I cant figure out how to get the plugin-container.exe to activate. There's no error messages or any such thing by firefox or sandboxie. I dont know what to do next. :(

I honestly perfer to use sandboxie because it's safer than without, "just in case". I apoligize for my horribly long posts. I hope this aint too much for you guys.

Edited by kuja killer

2 hours ago, reboot12 said:

Google Chrome 49 does not support polymer and displays in classic mode.

You may have missed part of a very instructive VistaLover post on page 1:

Chrome 49 has adequate support for Pm1, so if OP wants to continue using it for YT past March 2020, OP must:

Install the User Agent Switcher extension from GWS:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher/kchfmpdcejfkipopnolndinkeoipnoia

Set a "Permanent Spoof" for youtube.com domain (aka SSUAO) and pretend to be Firefox 60 (e.g. Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0); then, every time a YT URL is loaded, OP will get the supported Pm1 layout without any nags about an unsupported browser:

(A screenshot was even provided, some of which is Greek to me.) Browsers that truly do not support Polymer v1 include Pale Moon / New Moon 26/27

11 hours ago, kuja killer said:

To Dave-H or anyone else. Okay, well i've spent countless hours since then with literally next to no sleep trying to look up this situation. I've googled and read through dozens of sites/forums, even toggled other settings on/off not mentioned in the 1st post of the "enable h264 etc etc" post here. I've tried everything i can possibly ever think of and haven't figured out... until now..sort of. :(

First, i always use firefox in a program called "sandboxie" - I have the last supported version of sandboxie - 5.22 -- the changelog page said something about fixing h264 with firefox + sandboxie since 5.20. Okay .. But that didn't help. So then i tried installing firefox 52.0 seperately to the computer ("not" sandbox" ..follow all the directions again, etc. And to my surprise, my youtube videos now load.

After closer insepection, i think i FINALLY found out what exactly this is. The "plugin-container.exe" apparently is required for youtube to work now. I didnt know that. I've heard and read nothing bad purely bad things about plugin-container.exe and how it should be disabled to run things more smoothly. I confirmed by just simply deleting it from the program files folder, reload firefox, and my youtube videos, twitter videos/gifs, mp4 test sites, they all go back to that spinning circle animation forever ...i un-delete the plugin-container.exe ...try again, and now youtube and everything works.

But...it wont ever show up in sandboxie for some reason and i have no idea why. :( I then finally installed the firefox 52.9.1 you said, "sandboxed" but still didnt help. I cant figure out how to get the plugin-container.exe to activate. There's no error messages or any such thing by firefox or sandboxie. I dont know what to do next. :(

I honestly perfer to use sandboxie because it's safer than without, "just in case". I apoligize for my horribly long posts. I hope this aint too much for you guys.

Yes, "plugin-container.exe" runs for me when I load a YouTube page, and stops when I leave it, so it's definitely needed.
If it won't run under sandboxie I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest, as I have no experience of that.
If there is a forum for sandboxie users, perhaps you could ask there.
Did you try "slack" on your temporary 52.9.1 installation BTW, did it work?
:dubbio:

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Yes, "plugin-container.exe" runs for me when I load a YouTube page, and stops when I leave it, so it's definitely needed.
If it won't run under sandboxie I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest, as I have no experience of that.
If there is a forum for sandboxie users, perhaps you could ask there.
Did you try "slack" on your temporary 52.9.1 installation BTW, did it work?

Well sandboxie is a program that runs whatever you chose in a sandbox enviorment so that it doesnt ever touch or modify anything on your hard drive. And especially in case of viruses/malware, they wont be able to cause harm to your computer if they are inside of that sandbox. I use it just to be safe. I've never had a problem for years anyway, since I have "noscript" with firefox. but "better safe, then sorry" I think the phrase goes ?

Yea i cant understand or figure out why the plugin-container doesnt ever want to show with it...so then i went ahead and installed the 52.9.1 in sandboxie, but that still doesnt make it happen apparently. :( Only if i run firefox normally  without sandboxie's supervision. I guess i'll have to stick to that for the time being.

And yes, im so thankful, slack works. I was just afraid because, once every couple days, i guess the page reloads itself, going back to "your browser is not supported" ..so i have to manually do that Firefox 60 + windows 7 user agent again. And it did show that page a few times already since trying out 52.9 ...like it's constantly trying to get rid of me or something, heh. :( thankfully that user agent spoof still works.

Now i went ahead and read the whole entire thread for "enable multiprocess for firefox 52" ..i tried it out once, just kept the regular default "1" extra process setting. I was curious. Not sure yet if i "feel" improvements with youtube, live.fc2.com streams, etc. I watch streams alot on live fc2, which also seems to only work with the plugin-container

Edited by kuja killer

I found that enabling multiprocess on 52.9.1 ESR made a very big difference to performance on things like Facebook pages.
It was well worth doing!
Glad to hear that slack is still OK.
As I said, I don't know anything about sandboxie, but is it possible that when Firefox is running in it, and it tries to run another program (in this case plugin-container.exe) that sandboxie might treat this as a possible threat, and block it?

@kuja killer

Open the settings for the sandbox you use FF in, then add plugin-container.exe to the forced programs (in "program start").

Alternatively, you can add the firefox folder to forced folders. This way any executable from that folder should be forced to run within this sandbox.

HTH

4 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

@kuja killer

Open the settings for the sandbox you use FF in, then add plugin-container.exe to the forced programs (in "program start").

Alternatively, you can add the firefox folder to forced folders. This way any executable from that folder should be forced to run within this sandbox.

Oh i never thought to try that before, but uhh.. dang. It says it's only for registered version. I'm not going to pay money to use a registered sandbox just for this one single little thing. :|

Well something else has been bothering the hell out of me though since upgrading to the firefox 52.9 and I dont know if it was present in 52.0 before cause i didnt pay attention much to such detail but.. scrolling webpages, and watching youtube videos will eventually not be completely "smooth", after awhile. What i mean is, for example, i'll track this by enabling "layers.acceleration.draw-fps". Middle-click with mouse to scroll pages up and down, and it'll be 60 FPS and perfectly smooth at first, same with youtube/anything.

But after awhile everything will start be choppy. (50-58 FPS) ..it's certainly annoying as hell with youtube. :( Even if i never opened any other tabs or pages, just... at some point later it when it starts happening.

I've seriously searched through dozens and dozens of sites, reddit dicussion threads, etc for hours and hours, and tried everything possible. like disable hardware acceleration, enable, force-enable, "layout.frame_rate.precise" to true/false (currently leaving on true), "layout.frame_rate" to 60 instead of -1, trying a new firefox profile, ..deleting places.sqlite and starting with a fresh copy -- going back to "not" using multiprocess mode...just everything. nothing ever makes a difference. :(

ONLY if i completely close firefox and reopen, it'll be back to normal and smooth... but not for long. :( I'm really seriously fustrated yet again, sorry to say.

Edited by kuja killer

29 minutes ago, kuja killer said:

It says it's only for registered version. I'm not going to pay money to use a registered sandbox just for this one single little thing.

Hello kuja killer. I was reluctant to reply to your "thread within a thread," but this thread's original topic has been pretty well covered (and btw it sounds like your greasemonkey script will soon be to no avail), and it so happens that I installed Sandboxie 5.22 about 5 months ago. Sandboxie is now a free product, and it is evidently no longer possible to register 5.22 (I've tried), so we will have to get by with the free version.

My default browser is Firefox 52.9.0, which was actually the final version released by Mozilla in June 2018. (For the story of how a 52.9.1 tinderbox build became popular at MSFN, see Mozilla Firefox 52.9.1 ESR Works on Windows XP, If it contained significant improvements and was deemed ready for release, then I suspect Mozilla would've released it.) I did not install Firefox in Sandboxie (in fact my Firefox installation is considerably older than my Sandboxie installation), but of course I generally run it under the supervision of Sandboxie in the DefaultBox. I have never experienced your plugin-container.exe issue, however I am not using the Adobe Primetime Content Decryption Module. (I have the Widevine Content Decrytion Module, which unfortunately requires Windows Vista and higher). A rather important point to keep in mind is that if you want to make permanent changes to your browser, then you must open it outside of Sandboxie: otherwise your changes will vanish when the sandbox is emptied.

Here's a screenshot of Firefox 52.9.0 playing your Rockman 2 Slide and Charge video under the supervision of Sandboxie (note the [#] and dotted Sandboxie icon - not to mention Avast 18.8 icon):

1860733794_Rockman2SlideandCharge.thumb.JPG.35f54a59a560a21ade94f776063a9ca1.JPG

Hmm i see. Well i did notice that apparently the plugin-container only shows up on videos that use the "av1" codec like my video "8-way scrolling test" or other people's videos. Does not show up on "vp9" or others. That's why it seems some videos worked, and others not.

And gosh, wow I had no idea that it was now soley free. I've just been currently now using firefox normally without sandboxie at the momment since then. I seriously don't believe i would get a virus or anything bad like that anytime in the near-future.

So now at the momment i'm just extremely annoyed, fustrated, and getting headache's about this "smooth scrolling" issue i explained above. :( Again, it's perfectly butter-smooth at first opening firefox ...but shortly after wont be as much. It's driving me insane that I cant find out how to keep any regular webpage scrolling/youtube smooth permenately, instead of ... only for a short period of time, until next time i close/restart browser.

Sorry if i de-railed this topic too much. Didnt mean to on purpose.

Edited by kuja killer

The latest version of SandboxIE that best suits working with Windows XP is 3.76.

Later versions don't work well with W.XP:

https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/design/sandbox.md

...By design, the sandbox token cannot protect the non-securable resources such as:

Mounted FAT or FAT32 volumes: The security descriptor on them is effectively null. Malware running in the target can read and write to these volumes as long it can guess or deduce their paths.

TCP/IP: The security of TCP/IP sockets in Windows 2000 and Windows XP (but not in Vista) is effectively null. It might be possible for malicious code in the target to send and receive network packets to any host.

Some unlabelled objects, such as anonymous shared memory sections (e.g. bug 338538)...

....Integrity levels are available on Windows Vista and later versions...........

Subsequent versions of SBIE at 3.76 are based on these 4 Windows security mechanisms:

1. A restricted token
  2. The Windows job object
  3. The Windows desktop object
  4. Integrity levels

This also applies to Chrome based browsers.
Consider this info for not having a false sense of security.

Edited by Sampei.Nihira