Vmware Workstation 8 in Windows 2000

WinFX

I managed to install in Windows 2000, up to VMWare Workstation 7.1.6 with the method I used to install VMWare Workstation 11 and 12 in Vista, but I am thinking of installing VMWare Workstation 8.x with the same method, in this site blackwingcat demonstrates that VMware Player 4.0, which is equivalent to Workstation 8.0, managed to install it correctly and I installed Windows 8 at: http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1544432.html

But when installing VMware Workstation 8 all files are fine except for vmx86.sys that is missing an instruction and I have the Extended Core v16d installed.

In case there is a custom vmx86.sys or it is edited in some way since in the future I plan to install VMWare Workstation 10.

In that case, it appears that BWC installed Player 4.0 in XP to get around the driver incompatibilities.

You may try vmx86.sys from 7.1.6, but the likelihood of it working is probably very low. Best case you get a message complaining about kernel components not having matching version numbers, worst case you get a BSOD.

Maybe if you were to find a beta version of 8, that could have a working driver which could be dropped into the final release. I have no idea where and even if those are obtainable however.

But I'd still look into Workstation 9 and 10.x anyway. It may be just like when I was testing Photoshop and found CS4-6 to be more stable than CS3.

On one last tangent, you may look into commenting out the offending call much like BWC did for some ATI drivers. Some x86 assembly knowledge probably needed (which I sadly lack), but a good reference:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/win2kgaming/viewtopic.php?p=763#p763