Rant on browsers dropping XP support

caliber

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/52.9.0/releasenotes/

June 2018 = 10,12%

January 2020 = 8,22%

June 2021 = 6,x%

January 2023 = 4,x%

June 2024 = 2,x%

too late for crying... if you are not the market leader and drop support fox XP this is what might happen. (Moonchild staff is also responsible for this)

if Safari ever give up and switch over to chrome .... only the UE can prevent this google monopoly

https://www.techspot.com/news/83575-mozilla-lays-off-70-employees-revenue-declines.html

9 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Instead these developers are actively blocking OSes that are not in their support list. That is entirely different situation.

most common excuse from software developers is it's an outdated OS...

XP is actually only 8 months older than W7

millions of XP users switched to a more recent OS because they knew nothing about web browser alternatives @roytam1

On 1/21/2020 at 6:24 PM, caliber said:

most common excuse from software developers is it's an outdated OS...

XP is actually only 8 months older than W7

millions of XP users switched to a more recent OS because they knew nothing about web browser alternatives @roytam1

NT 5.1 is almost 20 years old...?

13 hours ago, caffeinepizza said:

NT 5.1 is almost 20 years old...?

Yes but not its API. Nobody uses vanilla XP, everybody use SP3 whose additional APIs were actually released not so long before Win7 came out. Most of the time the excuse is that XP is from 2001 and it's too old when actually the latest version of the APIs and calls is from about 2008 so not so terribly old as people think. I would agree with them if they meant vanilla XP only pre-SP1; in that case the OS would indeed be so old that it would be a pain to develop a program for it, but not SP3 as I consider it fairly modern.

Edited by FranceBB

Only for the record, I am the exception that confirms the general rule (nice to meet you ;)).

And yes, besides my "everyday machine" that runs XP SP2 I also have an old PC with XP SP1 (vanilla or "gold" XP sucked even more) and yet another one with good ol' Windows 2000.

jaclaz

9 hours ago, Mcinwwl said:

I bet it was mentioned in other topic, but... why actually not SP3? Just a habit of grumpy old man? I doubt so, there must be a deeper mystery behind it :)

Not any particular good (nor misterious) reasons, I simply have on this machine a bunch of old programs that *for some reasons* are less stable on SP3 (which doesn't mean that on a newly installed OS updated to SP3 they won't work just nice).

jaclaz

1 hour ago, caliber said:

benchmarks maybe ?

Today or tomorrow I’ll check, I have a Radeon 9100 and a Radeon HD3850 AGP. But the program shows very strange results, how is it possible for the integrated video card in the chipset (7050) to be much more productive than top-end video cards?

tom2d_fonts_direct.png

Radeon 9100 hangs when you run the test, it seems he should go to rest. 3850AGP with driver 12.4 AGP Hotfix shows the same results with both versions of the videoprt driver. Perhaps the difference was while the video card drivers were not optimized for SP3.

1.PNG

2.PNG