Registry hack (or similar) to keep getting updates for Windows 7?

RikkaNoodles

So like Windows XP, Windows 7 has an Embedded version for it, called Embedded POSReady 7. Just like XP POSReady it has longer support than regular Windows 7, ending on October 12, 2021.

My question is basically, would it be possible, like it was with XP, to use a registry key to enable the POSReady updates to install on Windows 7? 

Edited by RikkaNoodles

after being reminded about it by Michael MJD on YT, i was about to ask the same thing, i think there's a post from 2 years ago about this showing it might be possible.

(though @Mathwiz brought up this point, given they didnt do this w/ a prior OS, they MAY do this/have done this to Windows 7/7 POSReady)

"My concern, though, is that once Jan. 2020 arrives, M$ will change the "ApplicabilityInfo" string for newer updates to just read "Windows 7.0 Embedded;" etc. and they will no longer install on our Windows 7 Client systems without patching.

Edit: OTOH M$ didn't do that with Windows Server 2012 updates; they still install on Windows 8 Client, so maybe there's nothing to worry about. I guess we'll all find out in 2020."

I guess we won't know until later...but if they didn't bother doing this for Windows 8 they probably won't bother for Windows 7 either.

In the event they do how hard is it to update the ApplicabilityInfo? As far as I know its just in a TXT file, but would it refuse to install cause of the executable being modified? I have not tried this before so I dont know.

It should be possible to spoof your OS version as Embedded, too. Although how you'd go about that I wouldn't know.

Edited by RikkaNoodles

On 1/20/2020 at 11:43 PM, RikkaNoodles said:

It should be possible to spoof your OS version as Embedded, too. Although how you'd go about that I wouldn't know.

I'd like to be able to spoof server versions of Windows as consumer versions, I've wanted to do that for a while now.

1 hour ago, Tripredacus said:

WES7 has entered ESU period, just as the retail OS did, so that is out of the question. However, I read that POSReady 7 is to get updates until Q3 2021.

Actually, WES7 will still be supported until the end of the year, more or less:

vUSAnk2.jpg

11 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

... ESU start dates for Windows Embedded Standard 7 and Windows Embedded POSReady 7 are Oct 13th, 2020 and Oct 12th, 2021 , respectively; only Windows 7 Pro for Embedded Systems entered ESU period on Jan 14th, 2020

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4497181/lifecycle-faq-extended-security-updates

X8bUkpg.jpg