MP4 Player for Windows 95?

FantasyAcquiesce

8 hours ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

Thank you so much! I can't wait to test this on a Windows 95 when I get a chance! This player is crazy ahead of its time (2005) and even supports MP4!:blink:

EDIT: The program says MPEG4 AAC Audio decoder was removed due to intellectual property considerations...my MP4 ran anyway,but there was zero sound.

Are there any AAC plugins I could install for the Windows version? The video plays PERFECTLY...the plugins for pocket PC don't work...I tried using the plugins here, but the audio still won't work! I found the plugin for only PalmOS and PocketPC...could it be possible to extract the PocketPC's plg file and use it on Windows? There is evidence of getting AAC to work on the Windows version!

Current experiment: using these plugins or these ones. Link to Windows TCPMP here; confirmed working on Windows ME.

Maybe I could obtain the last version (TCPMP 0.65 win32) that did have MPEG4 AAC Audio decoder? Though it's reported to be artificially blocked because of version, I still require an .plg format plugin...could using a Hex editor possibly work at fixing this?

Dead links kill me x_x

you may try this

2 hours ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

The player works perfectly on Windows ME, but fails to launch on Windows 95 due to missing dependencies. Oh well, Windows 98 is plenty old :)

Thank you Roytam1 <3

you need to patch out IsDebuggerPresent to GetErrorMode in binaries(*.plg;*.dll;*.exe).

binpatch: http://o.rths.ml/gpc/files1.rt/binpatch.zip

for example: binpatch 4973446562756767657250726573656E74 4765744572726F724D6F64650000000000 common.dll

ggD4wKP.png

4 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

you need to patch out IsDebuggerPresent to GetErrorMode in binaries(*.plg;*.dll;*.exe).

binpatch: http://o.rths.ml/gpc/files1.rt/binpatch.zip

for example: binpatch 4973446562756767657250726573656E74 4765744572726F724D6F64650000000000 common.dll

ggD4wKP.png

Wow...that is godly...

Do MP4's play on your version?

24 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

not every profile / b-ref frame counts are supported, but baseline profile works.

2MxjJn9.png

Can you share your Windows 95-compatible version? I'm sure lots of enthusiasts would love your one-of-a-kind gem :) 
You're the first person in the WORLD to get MP4 playing on a Windows 95 PC!! You gotta put this on your site with your web browsers! Holy crud!

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

4 hours ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

Can you share your Windows 95-compatible version? I'm sure lots of enthusiasts would love your one-of-a-kind gem :) 
You're the first person in the WORLD to get MP4 playing on a Windows 95 PC!! You gotta put this on your site with your web browsers! Holy crud!

sure.

http://o.rths.ml/gpc/files1.rt/tcpmp-mod6-win95.zip

Thanks roytam1 for the link. Quick tested TCPMP with two YouTube MP4s in vanilla Windows 98, both worked. Nice and lightweight, no installation required. On this system only issue was no video, just sound. Quick configuration change: DirectDraw -> activate Use blitting instead of overlay.

Although not fully tested, everything seemed in working order. Pretty full-featured, this is a nice replacement in vanilla Windows 98 for bloaty but good VLC v0.8.6d. Thanks again.

VMWare kept giving me issues on my Windows 10 Acer Nitro Laptop (the only hardware I really have that can emulate at decent speeds because of bloat). I spent today resorting to my dual-boot Windows XP/Vista PC and installed Virtual PC 2007 (extracted additions from 2004 version using 7-zip) to test roytam1's build on Windows 95. Once I got Windows 95 fired up, I launched the player and tested three youtube videos. I am lost for words how great this is! MP4 works (almost out of the box; had to change video settings to "GDI") and the audio sounds amazing too! I was astonished MP4 can be played on a theoretically low-spec machine.

I set my virtual machine's ram to 128mb and my host's machine's cpu is a Windows XP with an Intel Core Duo 2 e8300 with a GPU of a NVIDA Quadro FX 1700. There are occasional decoding problems of glitchy squares showing on the video for a moment, but I'm questioning whether it's the player at fault or not. It only occured on one 200+ mb video with a very long length. Another video with a file size at 200+mb at originally 720p plays without a problem!

I will preserve these builds on my blog for everyone to enjoy: https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2020/01/tcpmp-072rc1-mod-6.html

06pTOiQ.png

8859xRZ.png

MzqQG6i.png

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

• 4 months later...

I know it's an old thread, but it start-paged me here when I was looking for a MP4 player. Thus my first entry at all has to be a big THANK YOU to roytam1 for that TCPMP! It worked instantly on my 98SE system (there's an older KernelEx on it), video and sound. Great!