Preferred Security Software for Server 2008 SP2?

Just curious really, since I have a Vista system but no Server 2008 key. In theory, you should be able to use anything that still works on Vista (and R2 should be able to use anything, since Windows 7 is still supported by everything, at least for the time being). On the other hand, a lot of security software does not officially support any server, and there may be artificial blocks - or issues related to Server 2008 updates released after Vista's EOL in April 2017 (e.g. the Meltdown and Spectre patches). Server 2008 will of course become an unsupported operating system very soon, so security software seems like a timely topic for diehards to discuss.

I'm sure you could use Avast 18.8 (which I'm using on Vista), or its near-twin AVG 18.8 if you prefer. There was a serious compatibility issue with these legacy versions when Server 2008 SP2's build number changed to 6.0.6003 after the April 2019 updates, but Avast became aware of the issue thanks to a spiceworks thread and issued a micro-update to correct it on June 4, 2019.

I'm especially curious if anyone is using Microsoft Security Essentials 4.10.209.0 on Server 2008. MSE never officially supported any server, and I believe that Microsoft blocked installation - but that can reportedly be overcome. MSFN member @Werewolf's March 24, 2017 post showed MSE working on Server 2008 without the pre-EOL nagging that affected users running Vista, but did not discuss installation procedures. Definition updates for MSE will reportedly continue after January 14, but no one knows for how long.

I also wonder if anyone is using Sandboxie on Server 2008. The Meltdown and Spectre patches reportedly caused issues with Sandboxie, at least at one time. (I'm using Sandboxie 5.22 on Vista 6002 without the M&S patches.)

Edited by Vistapocalypse
fixed Sandboxie link

• 8 months later...

Well my original post certainly did not   lead to any discussion. :( I suppose MSFN has hardly any members running Server 2008 these days.

There has been an unfortunate development courtesy of Microsoft: It seems that recent definitions - or more precisely, engines - for the antispyware version of Windows Defender are now incompatible with both Vista and Server 2008 SP2. :angry: (I assume that 2008 R2 is not affected.) Perhaps even worse, VistaLover informs me that Microsoft Security Essentials uses the same file mpengine.dll as Defender, so it must also be affected. :realmad:

Edit: See VistaLover’s recent post for more details about this development.

Edited by Vistapocalypse

Not specific to Server 2008, but on all my setups I like to run MBAM real time along with COMODO Cleaning Essentials (scanner and process kill switch/monitor). The latter is is an on-demand scanner, it doesn't run real time. I use VirusTotal quite a bit as well. GlassWire is also handy, but the version I use is quite a few years old.

Malwarebytes consumer products do not officially support any server version of Windows. Like many software vendors, MB would rather sell business products for servers, although some home users are certainly running servers. When MBAM 3.2 was released in September 2017, there was an artificial block to prevent installation on servers, which MB later removed following outcry from home users. In any case, the last version to support Windows Vista was MBAM 3.5.1, and that should also apply to Server 2008 SP2 (essentially a server version of Vista). Furthermore, the ransomware protection introduced with MBAM 3.0 is unavailable.

Personally, I never used MBAM Premium on Vista. (I always had a better real-time AV installed.) For on-demand scanning, I prefer MBAM Free 2.2.1, which should function on 2008 SP2 AFAIK.

2 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Malwarebytes consumer products do not officially support any server version of Windows. Like many software vendors, MB would rather sell business products for servers, although some home users are certainly running servers. When MBAM 3.2 was released in September 2017, there was an artificial block to prevent installation on servers, which MB later removed following outcry from home users. In any case, the last version to support Windows Vista was MBAM 3.5.1, and that should also apply to Server 2008 SP2 (essentially a server version of Vista). Furthermore, the ransomware protection introduced with MBAM 3.0 is unavailable.

Personally, I never used MBAM Premium on Vista. (I always had a better real-time AV installed.) For on-demand scanning, I prefer MBAM Free 2.2.1, which should function on 2008 SP2 AFAIK.

Yikes. Of this I was completely unaware. Personally, I believe MBAM took a massive hit in quality after 1.75.x when they turned gears toward a subscription model. I personally still use the 1.65 client. I continue to receive definitions.

On 9/24/2020 at 5:16 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

There has been an unfortunate development courtesy of Microsoft: It seems that recent definitions - or more precisely, engines - for the antispyware version of Windows Defender are now incompatible with both Vista and Server 2008 SP2. :angry: (I assume that 2008 R2 is not affected.) Perhaps even worse, VistaLover informs me that Microsoft Security Essentials uses the same file mpengine.dll as Defender, so it must also be affected. :realmad:

Edit: See VistaLover’s recent post for more details about this development.

System Center Endpoint Protection (SCEP) is also affected on Server 2008 SP2 (but not R2), and there is some hope that M$ will issue an official fix:

https://docs.microsoft.com/answers/questions/81262/scep-for-windows-server-2008-standard-no-longer-up.html

Edit: Microsoft has indeed fixed the problem: The current engine version 1.1.17500.4 has restored compatibility with Windows 6.0. :)

Edited by Vistapocalypse