Confusion regarding $OEM$ location

tarquel

Hi all

Mainly @ GM though...

Regarding the $OEM$ folder, in order for windows setup to sucessfully use the $OEM$ folder, I read on some MS OEM article that the $OEM$ folder must reside within the i386 directory.

Don't ask me where this is because I haven't got a clue, but in order for i.e. populating the windows installation with company information or OEM related items and when using the Setup Manager program of the XP OEM OPK, i'm sure it placed it within the i386 folder.

Could this be why I couldn't get the VIA SATA drivers to be recognised/installed automatically when installing the customised XP CD I created with XPCREATE a few months back? (I still had to press F5 no matter how I tried changing things...even rewriting the driver inf to some degree didn't help)

Any thoughts?

Regards,

N.

Most points to cyberdiamond! $OEM$ should be placed as FILESCD\$OEM$ for a CD install, and FILESCD\I386\$OEM$ for a network install. This results in <CDROOT>:\$OEM$ and <CDROOT>:\I386\$OEM$, respectivly.

If you used the latter structure, this would result in SATA integration problems, as the SATA drivers are searched for in FILESCD\$OEM$\$1\DRIVERS. This will be remedied very soon ...

I think most points to GM then :) Thanks for clearing that one up for me - didn't realise it was different for the CD install.

One question though...

If you used the latter structure, this would result in SATA integration problems, as the SATA drivers are searched for in FILESCD\$OEM$\$1\DRIVERS. This will be remedied very soon ...

Does that mean that even if used FILESCD\$OEM$\$1\BACKUP\DRIVERS\VT8237, it would still work or do I have to put them all in the same folder? Not nice to manage this is :rolleyes:

Regards,

N.