Boot order on Acer Aspire

mike13

For the past 6 or 7 years, I have been using Paragon Backup and Recovery 2013. I use the backup feature on a monthly basis to backup my entire computer to an external hard drive. After the backup, there is an option to create a bootable/ recovery disc that could be used in case the computer fails, you can boot to this disc. I usually create the disc just in case. Well, about a week ago I was having issues, and I thought I would try the recovery disc I had made. I went into the bios / boot section, and set the 1st boot device as the   CD / DVD device etc. I clicked save and exit (F10) and restarted. The computer tried to boot from the hard drive, so I shut it down and checked the boot sequence. It was still set to boot from the  CD / DVD etc, but it was not booting from that device. I tried the boot disc in another computer, and the computer did boot to the CD / DVD device after I changed the boot option.  All these years I felt safe that I had a bootable recovery disc, and now I realized I do not.  Running Windows 10  Home on a Acer Aspire desktop computer about 7 months old. Any suggestions ??

Maybe a BIOS vs. UEFI issue?

If you are running windows 10 you are probably also using an UEFI system and all the (BTW stupid) complications connected to it, whilst the CD/DVD may be suitable to boot only on Bios (or CSM in UEFI).

jaclaz

23 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Thanks  jaclaz for the reply. I do believe it has something to do with the new  UEFI system. I read others have the same problem. Some say they were able to go into the BOOT section and change the UEFI back to Legacy, but I do not see that option. Since the computer is only about 8 months old, I will call Acer after the holidays.

3 hours ago, mike13 said:

Thanks  jaclaz for the reply. I do believe it has something to do with the new  UEFI system. I read others have the same problem. Some say they were able to go into the BOOT section and change the UEFI back to Legacy, but I do not see that option. Since the computer is only about 8 months old, I will call Acer after the holidays.

Yes, some BIOSes (particularly those of nootebooks/netbooks) have not such an option, you are locked into an UEFI only system.

Which wouldn't be in itself such a bad thing IF the "standard" actually was "sane" (it isn't) AND IF it was in itself backwards compatible with BIOS (again it isn't).

Maybe however (it depends on a number of factors) it could be possible to make the actual Paragon CD/DVD UEFI bootable, but cannot really say. 

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz