WIn98 How to add Right click Explorer Context menu Open Command.com here option?

ruthan

Hello,
i used from more modern OS to use right click context Explorer menu menu.. How to add same thing to WIndows 98?

BTW what is best command.com replacement for Windows 98 SE, i tied Doskey, i dunno exactly how i it installed, or if its in-build within some patch, but it has info about Windows 2000 when its starting
and its half working, i mean - TAB, Backspace sometimes misbehaving..

Drop to DOS is discussed and linked here:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/177106-running-vanilla-windows-98-in-2019/page/10/?tab=comments#comment-1173496

And as discussed here, running command.com from Start -> Run or Window key -> r opens COMMAND.COM to the directory in an opened and focused Windows Explorer window without needing any additional software:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/177106-running-vanilla-windows-98-in-2019/page/10/?tab=comments#comment-1173527

5 hours ago, loblo said:

Only for the record (since the given link is also for CMD.EXE and 2K/XP), ALL those are - if not "wrong" - "inferior" to this nice shell extension:

http://www.roggel.com/NGNeer/BackgroundCMD/index.shtml

BackgroundCMD is a command prompt folder background shell
 extension. It allows you to start a command prompt (an instance of
 cmd.exe) from within any directory that you're currently browsing.

There are many command prompt shell extensions out there. However,
 as far as I can tell, none of them allow you to open a console window in
 the current directory that you're browsing. Most will only allow you to
 right-click a folder and have the command prompt start in that folder.

This can be quite a nuisance. When browsing a directory, I don't want
 to have to go up one level just to start the command prompt. And what
 about the desktop? Do I really have to browse to my user folder under
 "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator" just to get it working?

So I wrote one that works properly, because I never know when I'll
 need a console window until I'm in the folder I'll need it in.

jaclaz

Yes, having the command console on the folder background menu is the ideal place IMO so this a nice shell extension for those who want only command.com there.

I have command.com as well as 4DOS, win95cmd and Mintty in the folder background menu via Open++ shell extension.

Thanks,
4dos as cmd replacement seems to be fine.

I will try manual context menu edition later- will actually try to add 4dos. I tried BackgroundCMD with Win98, im able to install, but its not working for root folders, where im getting access denied.

Win95cmd - means using Win95cmd instead of Win98 - are there some addantages for that? 
MIntty has some special Win98 port, or actual on Github will work? On Web is XP+

Win95cmd is a cmd.exe for 9x systems by Microsoft and can be found here: http://www.mdgx.com/dos.htm

For using Mintty you need KernelEx (presumably) and a suitable bash environment. I use Mintty 1.1.3 from both an Msys and a GitBash installation. You cannot run command.com inside it so DOS commands aren't available when using it but you've got instead the Unix shell ones. It's really nice for working with console tools and files as it's resizable, scrollable, has a configurable backbuffer (set to 10.000 lines for mine), command history, copy/paste and support for drag & drop as well as color schemes.

Hi loblo. Don't want to stray, just a quick note. Custom command.bat files can be placed in Bash's /bin/ directory then DOS commands can be used by Bash. For example, create cls.bat containing:

@echo off
cls
Now the cls.bat command is available. Of course this creates a custom environment and these commands won't work if script sharing. Curious if Mintty works in vanilla Windows 98, will check it out, thanks. Edited by Wunderbar98

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/12/2020 at 2:53 AM, ABCDEFG said:

REGEDIT 4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Command.com\Command]
@="COMMAND.COM /K CD %1"

If this should work on desktop and within Explorer on right mouse, its not working for me..

Ok, after adjust that Regfile is working, but it working by other way that enhancers for modern Window, you have to right click on drive or folder.

Its possible to adjust it to make it working for  Desktop too and white space on Explorer window ( to open same folder as is in Explorer currently open)? 

I don't think it's possible to insert it directly on desktop/folders background as adding shell commands isn't supported there on 9x AFAIK. You need to use a shell extension that lets you add items to desktop/folders background. I use Open++ for that purpose (KernelEx required), Fast Explorer might work too.