Windows 10 not shutting down after upgrade from Windows 7

bookie32

Hi guys!

I have a hp probook with support for Windows 10 that I have just upgraded for customer to Windows 10 from Windows 7....

If I try to shut down it starts to shutdown and after a few seconds logs in again....

I have tried the Intel Management Engine solution and it doesn't help....

Anyone any ideas?

bookie32

It probably has to do with hibernation file not being the sufficient size, a problem that was likely inherited from the old Windows 7 installation. I suspect hibernation/hybrid sleep didn't work on that particular Windows 7 installation.

Windows 10 just changes "shutdown" to "log off and hibernate", aka. "fast boot" by default, so the issue showed up and then disappeared with disabling fast boot.

I have a Win7 install with that problem, but I don't know why the size wasn't set right in the first place (or maybe the default just doesn't work correctly under certain circumstances). I just turned hibernation off so it can go to sleep (and saves some disk space). If power outage occurred during sleep, it would cause the session to get lost since it's not backed up to disk.

Hybrid sleep feature (can be turned off without disabling hibernation) is also the reason such transitions are much slower by default than they are on Vista predecessors. Maybe it's better if system is loaded on SSD disk.

Edited by UCyborg
Small remark

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/27/2019 at 10:01 AM, bookie32 said:

Hi again:D

Ok I fixed it....I just turned off fast boot in Windows 10 and it shutdown normally,,,,

bookie32

where? in the bios? or did you turn off the "fast startup" feature in Win10?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply....the fast boot that I turned off which is the norm if you are having problems getting into the bios....

Go to battery settings via control panel....in the left menu you have several different things you can change..

I am working with Swedish computers but you should have "Choose what the power buttons do"....sorry don't have access to an English computer...

You then have a link that you need to click on if you are to make changes.... "Change settings that are temporarily unavailable" click on that and after that untick "Turn on fast startup (recommended) and you are good to go...

Most computers that one would normally work with F2 or Delete will work again after removing this tick...

Doesn't matter how quick you are to press F2 or Delete it won't work if you have this enabled in Windows 10..

bookie32