SSD for Vista

MrMADRYAN

Hi everyone!
I want to buy and SSD for my Vista PC and I am interested in Intel X-25E 64GB (Intel SSDSA2SH064G1GN) - it is based on SLC memory and I can buy one for 20 US$ new. As I know, TRIM is not supported or required to use this SSD, moreover Vista does not support TRIM out-of-the-box. And I am interested of this SSD wear level under Vista - will it be more, than under any modern OS? Yep, I use Vista, 'cuz some of my cartography software does not run under any other OS + I am a huge fan of this OS. Of cource, SATA AHCI Mode is enabled and no data defragmenting/search indexing will be done on the boot drive. I use Windows Vista 64-Bit SP2 Ultimate 6.0.6003.20491.

26 minutes ago, MrMADRYAN said:

Hi everyone!
I want to buy and SSD for my Vista PC and I am interested in Intel X-25E 64GB (Intel SSDSA2SH064G1GN) - it is based on SLC memory and I can buy one for 20 US$ new. As I know, TRIM is not supported or required to use this SSD, moreover Vista does not support TRIM out-of-the-box. And I am interested of this SSD wear level under Vista - will it be more, than under any modern OS? Yep, I use Vista, 'cuz some of my cartography software does not run under any other OS + I am a huge fan of this OS. Of cource, SATA AHCI Mode is enabled and no data defragmenting/search indexing will be done on the boot drive. I use Windows Vista 64-Bit SP2 Ultimate 6.0.6003.20491.

You should also disable Superfetch/Prefetch, since Vista can be quite aggressive with those (it was made in the time when PCs had not a lot of memory but plenty of HDD space). You can use the instructions in this article: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-superfetch-prefetch-ssd

Additionally, you can also disable Windows Search, but that one shouldn't be as taxing on the SSD: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10246/how-to-disable-search-in-windows-7/

If TRIM is not needed on that SSD, you should be good otherwise.

10 minutes ago, greenhillmaniac said:

If TRIM is not needed on that SSD, you should be good otherwise.

But will Vista shorten lifespan of the drive more quickly than Windows 7/8/10? As I said - no TRIM is required/supported.

1 hour ago, MrMADRYAN said:

But will Vista shorten lifespan of the drive more quickly than Windows 7/8/10? As I said - no TRIM is required/supported.

If you disable the disk hungry services, such as the ones I mentioned, you should get just about the same wear level as Windows 7.

Though I will admit I've never run Vista on a SSD, but I'm sure other members will share their experiences.

I have used Windows Vista on a Samsung 840 EVO for nearly 6 years now, and it still works great. Unlike your SSD, mine does support & require TRIM, but this is performed by the Samsung Magician software.

Your SSD should be just fine with Windows Vista. If the SSD doesn't support TRIM in the first place, then it wouldn't make any difference if you used Windows Vista or 7/8/10, as Windows Vista supports proper partition alignment for SSDs and will do this for you automatically upon formatting the hard drive during installation. The only steps you'll need to take for the most optimal experience, and to get the most life out of your SSD would be:

• Disable Superfetch via services.msc.
  • Disable Automatic Disk Defragging, by opening Disk Defragmenter and making sure the "Run on a schedule" option is unchecked.
  • To save disk space, decrease the footprint of System Restore by following this guide here.
  • Disable Search Indexer on the SSD by opening Computer, right click on the SSD, click Properties, and uncheck "Index this drive for faster searching" under the General tab.

As long as you do these things, Windows Vista will be just fine on your SSD and the overall lifespan will be the same as it would be with Windows 7.

Edited by WinClient5270

19 minutes ago, WinClient5270 said:

I have used Windows Vista on a Samsung 840 EVO for nearly 6 years now, and it still works great. Unlike your SSD, mine does support & require TRIM, but this is performed by the Samsung Magician software.

Your SSD should be just fine with Windows Vista. If the SSD doesn't support TRIM in the first place, then it wouldn't make any difference if you used Windows Vista or 7/8/10, as Windows Vista supports proper partition alignment for SSDs and will do this for you automatically upon formatting the hard drive during installation. The only steps you'll need to take for the most optimal experience, and to get the most life out of your SSD would be:

• Disable Superfetch via services.msc.
  • Disable Automatic Disk Defragging, by opening Disk Defragmenter and making sure the "Run on a schedule" option is unchecked.
  • To save disk space, decrease the footprint of System Restore by following this guide here.
  • Disable Search Indexer on the SSD by opening Computer, right click on the SSD, click Properties, and uncheck "Index this drive for faster searching" under the General tab.

As long as you do these things, Windows Vista will be just fine on your SSD and the overall lifespan will be the same as it would be with Windows 7.

All right, this is more than enough information. Thank you very much!

I see :), it is a really old model (but SLC) that has no support for trim in the internal processor/controller. :(

Yes, you can't do more than what WinClient5270 suggested, but it is included among the models supported by the:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29205/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox

cdob pointed you too, so maybe it is worth the time to check what it can do.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz