Could Not Prepare NT6 Boot Files

Verminaard

Title says it all. I am trying to make Win7 and Win10 on a USB (using official ISO's) my OS Win 10 x64 1909, using WinSetupFromUSB 1.9 x64 (Run as admin) but it fails. Neither ISO's are working. I have done this before with the same version but it's not working now. I did it before 1909 update.

Here's a piece of the log that may help:

2019/12/25 15:28:26- Processing GUID {7619dcc9-fafe-11d9-b411-000476eba25f}
2019/12/25 15:28:26- Parsing E:\XXX\!WinSetupFromUSB-1-9\TempWST\boot\bcd for GUID {7619dcc9-fafe-11d9-b411-000476eba25f}
2019/12/25 15:28:26- The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

2019/12/25 15:28:26- BCDCumul: 
2019/12/25 15:28:27- The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

2019/12/25 15:28:27- Could not split GUIDs
2019/12/25 15:28:27- Func _ParseGUIDs returned an error 3
2019/12/25 15:28:27- Func _UpdateBCD_NEW returned error 2 processing E:\XXX\!WinSetupFromUSB-1-9\TempWST\boot\bcd
2019/12/25 15:28:27- Func MakeVistaBoot returned an error: 9
2019/12/25 15:28:29- Removing TEMP folder
2019/12/25 15:28:31- ---------------------------------Program quited-----------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance for all help.

That error - basically -  means that the BCD is "in use".

No way to know from a distance WHAT is using it and keeping it "locked".

Try again after a fresh reboot.

If it still doesn't work, it should mean that you have *something* (it could be an antivirus, another "security" program, *whatever*) locks it at boot or when you run the WinntSetupFromUSB.

If this is the case (and even if it isn't, you can get unlocker:

http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/

and hopefully_

1) understand what program/process locks it
2) unlock it manually

jaclaz

Yeah found the problem. I uploaded it to my Dropbox folder in order to make it accessible from everywhere but when you run it from Dropbox folder it locks itself out because Dropbox client tries to sync it as the temp files are being created each time I try to create an installation USB. So the solution is to copy it to somewhere local and run it from there. I see the log message saying that it's locked I knew something was locking it but unlocker wasn't showing anything and fresh restart didn't work either but then I thought about the Dropbox client and boom! It was the reason.

So if you back it up on Dropbox, don't run it from there, just copy it to a local temp folder :)

Thanks @The Finder

Good. :)

Though to me it is already a miracle that the dropbox location :w00t: actually allowed you to get up to that point.

But your first point was valid, I don't think anyone else ever had this specific issue, as I never heard of anyone attempting to use files in a dropbox storage for this kind of use.

jaclaz

16 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

Good. :)

Though to me it is already a miracle that the dropbox location :w00t: actually allowed you to get up to that point.

All the portable apps are working great from Dropbox location. WinSetup is also like a portable app because the installation location doesn't make any difference since all the required file are all within the same folder.

I'm using 4-5 different computers in different locations so using Dropbox this way is a lifesaver :) But I gotta remember now that WinSetup has to be copied to a local folder first :)