Generic SCSIAHCI driver for Windows 2000/XP [Warning: non-bootable yet!]

daniel_k

It's an original, unmodified ASMedia driver, which was developed as a generic driver (doesn't do any device checks):
- uses SCSIPORT.SYS, so it is compatible with Windows 2000/XP and doesn't require integration of STORPORT.SYS (possible on XP only).
- performance is fine, seems stable so far, supports 48-bit LBA and maybe up to 8 ports (6 tested here).
- original 32-bit (x86) device property sheet didn't support Windows 2000, so I've coded my own version to support the OS, plus it asks to restart Windows if setting is changed.

There are only two limitations:
- Optical drives are seen as "ejectable" drives and shown in Safely Remove Hardware icon.
- If you disable AHCI port 0, ATA and SMART atributtes cannot be read in utilities such as AIDA64.

Download at
https://www.win-raid.com/t5753f45-Generic-SCSIAHCI-driver-for-Windows-XP.html

Edited by daniel_k

Patched by daniel_k

Please don't modify and redistribute publicly. Thanks.

Is it modified or unmodified? :dubbio:

Only for the record, I had to get unrar because it is compressed in a format that my 7-zip (of course dated) doesn't understand.

A .7z or even better a .zip would be nicer (next time). particularly if the thingy is intended for 2K/XP users.

jaclaz

@jaclaz, the driver itself (.sys) was not modified, everything else was. ;)

It's just because some guys are "rebranding" (editing strings and resources) and redistributing my modified files as if they were theirs. :realmad:

Edited by daniel_k

10 hours ago, daniel_k said:

@jaclaz, the driver itself (.sys) was not modified, everything else was. ;)

It's just because some guys are "rebranding" (editing strings and resources) and redistributing my modified files as if they were theirs. :realmad:

Well, in the meantime I checked, and seemingly you didn't change the .sys contents, but changed the .sys name :w00t: (or at least I was able to find the same binaries in a supposedly original Asmedia driver set), then the 64 bit .dll is unchnaged but renamed, while the 32 bit .dll you patched/modified.

If I may, not the smartest of the ideas to call the 32 bit and 64 bit drivers the same :whistle:.

I am attaching the original drivers (together with a copy of your drivers in a more convenient .zip format and with a filename slightly more readable than "f45t5753p100543n2_dQJtNfwo.rar" )  because - set apart the name change - it seems to me interesting for learning about the .inf and .oem changes you made :thumbup.

jaclaz

ASM106x_ori_XP_sata_drivers.zip danielk_ASM106x_mod_XP_sata_drivers.zip

5 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Well, in the meantime I checked, and seemingly you didn't change the .sys contents, but changed the .sys name :w00t: (or at least I was able to find the same binaries in a supposedly original Asmedia driver set), then the 64 bit .dll is unchnaged but renamed, while the 32 bit .dll you patched/modified.

There is a reason for everything.
This version 2.0.3.0001, was the latest I've found to be working as a generic AHCI driver, anything newer only works with ASMedia controllers.
If I didn't change the filename, one has a system with an ASMedia controller (onboard or external PCIe card) and decide to update its driver, would render the system unbootable.

If I may, not the smartest of the ideas to call the 32 bit and 64 bit drivers the same .

That's a personal opinion, most drivers have the same filenames for both architectures.

I am attaching the original drivers (together with a copy of your drivers in a more convenient .zip format and with a filename slightly more readable than "f45t5753p100543n2_dQJtNfwo.rar" )  because - set apart the name change - it seems to me interesting for learning about the .inf and .oem changes you made 

Fine by me. Random filename for attached files is a known issue with Win-RAID's forum.

Edited by daniel_k

26 minutes ago, daniel_k said:

There is a reason for everything.
This version 2.0.3.0001, was the latest I've found to be working as a generic AHCI driver, anything newer only works with ASMedia controllers.
If I didn't change the filename, one has a system with an ASMedia controller (onboard or external PCIe card) and decide to update its driver, would render the system unbootable.

Sure :), and now - through a moderate use of torture :w00t: :ph34r: - I managed to have you document that reason.

27 minutes ago, daniel_k said:

That's a personal opinion, most drivers have the same filenames for both architectures.

Sure it is a personal opinion, though exceptionally the fact that a number of drivers (most?) have the same file name for both architecture is not a (valid) reason, particularly if coming from someone that had the sensibility (and good idea) of renaming the drivers to avoid the possible update issue.

Anyway my congratulations to you :worship: both for the idea/finding and for the mods that allow the use on Win2K. :thumbup

jaclaz

• dencorso changed the title to Generic SCSIAHCI driver for Windows 2000/XP [Warning: non-bootable yet!]
  • dencorso locked this topic