On Branding RoyTam1's Browsers

Mathwiz

"RoyTamFoxMoon" was never intended to be a serious suggestion for consideration, and roytam1 specifically objected to names based as such, so it should not be an option.

Also, while I'm sure someone will object to this, in the interest of democracy, there's no option for "just leave the names alone and quit rehashing this every few months."

Sampei Nihira wrote:

@roytam1

Call the browsers as you like but leave the exe with the original name.

If you change the name of the exe, a multitude of software will no longer work, especially those specific for the protection of the browser used

which have strict rules for the various popular browsers used.

Example:

Anti-Exploit,Anti-Exe........etc.......etc........

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

19 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

"RoyTamFoxMoon" was never intended to be a serious suggestion for consideration, and roytam1 specifically objected to names based as such, so it should not be an option.

Will be deleted, thanks.

19 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

Also, while I'm sure someone will object to this, in the interest of democracy, there's no option for "just leave the names alone and quit rehashing this every few months."

Because this option was already covered in this topic long before the polls started and most was into changing names, or at least making attempt. So no for now, will add if I'll see more voices calling for that.

14 minutes ago, Mcinwwl said:

Because this option was already covered in this topic long before the polls started and most was into changing names, or at least making attempt. So no for now, will add if I'll see more voices calling for that.

I second the "just leave the names alone and quit rehashing this every few months."

I say that at risk of the "other" forum member(s) who visit here will now try to get me banned from here.

Because I know for a fact they ban "us" on 'their' forum!  Or at very least pound out a chest-beating "Why are you even here?"

Don't know how to "mend" the relationship with the "other" forum WITHOUT jumping through the branding - but I still vote for "just leave alone".

Grrr... there's something wrong with poll on NM28 topic. As I try to fix the issues and make amends, some other options are simply gone.
Worst case I will re-start this poll. sorry for inconvinience :/
Others seem to look fine.

@Mcinwwl: Thanks for fixing the NM28 poll.

As I understand the current polls, they are for finding out "which" names might be liked, which is the big "??", not about IF or if NOT rebranding.
About this point some people have already expressed their opinion loud and clear and repeatedly, nothing new there. But if they insist to get a checkbox to cross too, here's a suggestion for a specific YES/NO poll. Just to show opinions of course, all decisions remain up to roytam1. Who did declare after Tobins deal offer that he'd be ready to accept and rename, just that others shall please do the tedious work of finding names etc.

not sure about wordings, just a (slightly too verbose) draft...

- YES! roytams forks are different enough to deserve own names long since
- YES. Makes sense. I understand browser confusion happens too easily
- Yes. Wouldn't need new names, but really like Tobin's offer
- Yes. Okay with me, just please keep new names similar to old ones
- (yes) Would have kept ori names, but helping each other is better than struggling
- (???) Can't decide...
- (no) Slight preference to keep old names, but won't boil with rage if renamed
- No. Because modified names will cause more confusion as ori ones
- NO. I see zero reason to change names, and expect no future probs
- NO! It's not true old names cause anyone probs, and don't dare to threaten us!

4 hours ago, siria said:

As I understand the current polls, they are for finding out "which" names might be liked, which is the big "??", not about IF or if NOT rebranding.
About this point some people have already expressed their opinion loud and clear and repeatedly, nothing new there. But if they insist to get a checkbox to cross too, here's a suggestion for a specific YES/NO poll. Just to show opinions of course, all decisions remain up to roytam1. Who did declare after Tobins deal offer that he'd be ready to accept and rename, just that others shall please do the tedious work of finding names etc.

not sure about wordings, just a (slightly too verbose) draft...

- YES! roytams forks are different enough to deserve own names long since
- YES. Makes sense. I understand browser confusion happens too easily
- Yes. Wouldn't need new names, but really like Tobin's offer
- Yes. Okay with me, just please keep new names similar to old ones
- (yes) Would have kept ori names, but helping each other is better than struggling
- (???) Can't decide...
- (no) Slight preference to keep old names, but won't boil with rage if renamed
- No. Because modified names will cause more confusion as ori ones
- NO. I see zero reason to change names, and expect no future probs
- NO! It's not true old names cause anyone probs, and don't dare to threaten us!

Very convenient to omit the option to leave things as is, so long as it pushes the "rebranding" agenda, no?

Yes, I've stated my opinion clearly. And it was not my intention to restart the debate; I simply pointed out the fault in the choices. But, since you apparently have decided to make a "snide" comment about it, complete with innuendo regarding the "thoughts/intent/motivation" of those who might oppose the viewpoint you're pushing it should be pointed out that we also have our share of those who have loudly, and clearly, and repeatedly "browbeaten" (to borrow a very good term that was used before) roytam1 toward taking this action, despite the fact that he does not see it as a problem.

Also, to clarify another point, roytam1 also indicated that branding was needed to go along with any name change. So there are two criteria at work here; not just a name that he approves of, but also corresponding branding he approves of to go along with it. Anyone can spout off names, but there are very few, if any, of us who can produce "branding" of a quality high enough to correspond with the product.

Now, I certainly have better things to do with my time, and no desire to spend any of it on this issue again. I've said what needs to be said up to this point. But do not behave as if any who oppose your viewpoint on the issue do not have the right to voice that opinion and/or point out the fact that this "election" is rigged.

The one consolation is that, in the end, roytam1 makes the decisions.

Edited by LoneCrusader

13 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

Yes, I've stated my opinion clearly. And it was not my intention to restart the debate;

Truly, for me you are actually doing that. We went from point A to point B, and you are asking why things discussed in point A are not in the poll.

and repeatedly "browbeaten" (to borrow a very good term that was used before) roytam1 toward taking this action, despite the fact that he does not see it as a problem.

He also does not see potential rebranding as a problem, and many of us, users of his work, simply are into the idea.

Anyone can spout off names, but there are very few, if any, of us who can produce "branding" of a quality high enough to correspond with the product.

We need not everyone to get this done. We already had people form here helping him with about page so, IF he decides to make a change, we'll have at east one person to get this done, I think.

Hi, as stated earlier, I restarted the poll in NewMoon 28 thread. After I removed some suggestions by siria's comment and added few others in their places, board seemed to randomly delete some other picks, and I had no clue if it didn't "move" some votes in between the choices.

Sorry, the whole voting is restarted. You can attribute this failure to me.

One thing to note about the name suggestions that have been made, and which are in the poll threads. I did a search on google (without quotes) for the new names to see how many results would appear. For some, there are millions of results for the same terms, some get the millions of results due to google changing the search. When naming a new product, it is always best to research the names being used to make sure there are a low amount of false positive hits, or none if possible. That is the reason I will never vote for "Whistler" because of that term's tie with previous versions of Windows. And that is also why I pick the "New Moon" name to stay as is, because there is precedent and active search results for this exact product using that name.

On 3/7/2020 at 4:49 PM, win32 said:

Just voted.

But I think @Mathwiz came up with Moebius (ex-Serpent 55), not Matt Tobin.

I think we both hit on it independently. Moebius was the code name for the post-FF 52, pre-Quantum rendering engine, or something like that, it's been used informally for Serpent 55, and it sounded like a cool name with lots of cool artwork opportunities.

But I tend to agree with the suggestion that we just have one name for Serpent and append 52 or 55 as appropriate, in which case Moebius would have to go. Let's not make things more complicated than necessary.

BTW, after I'd voted in several of the polls, I realized you can vote for more than one name. I think that's a cool option, especially for the browsers with many suggested names on the ballot.

Oh, and slightly OT: does anyone know if you can put an animated .gif in the "About <browser>" dialog box, the about:newtab page, or any other relevant place in these browsers? Might be a cool branding trick.

Hi, NM28 voting need to be restarted due to technical reasons:

23 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

I think we both hit on it independently.

Matt's post is older. Will you prove it's not the case with even older one, I will change ;)

22 hours ago, Mcinwwl said:

Hi, NM28 voting need to be restarted due to technical reasons:

Matt's post is older. Will you prove it's not the case with even older one, I will change ;)

I certainly can't claim credit. Many of us were using "Moebius" as an informal name for what eventually became Serpent 55 long before either Matt or I suggested it as a formal brand name. The first use "Moebius" I can find on this forum was in the link to MCP's original UXP platform:

So technically, I guess credit for the name should go to Moonchild (M.C. Straver)!

Minor language note: The true spelling is Möbius, with an umlaut over the o. But the umlaut isn't used in English and some other languages (English has a "dieresis" which looks just like an umlaut; it's used in words like coöperate, but it's so rare my spell checker balks on that word). Thus the ö is often rewritten as oe for the benefit of those of us with no easy way to type ö.

Edited by Mathwiz