On Branding RoyTam1's Browsers

Mathwiz

12 hours ago, dencorso said:

"While the sage ponder in a haze... the clueless attack by surprise!!!"... and I do think it applies here quite perfectly. :P

Agreed...  Good one...

My premise is that the "haze" should be removed.

ie, SOMEBODY needs to take the LEAD as opposed to everybody just throwing out name suggestions "ad nauseam".

In other words, “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

ie, WE'VE BEEN DOWN THIS ROAD BEFORE, the road where everybody threw out name suggestions.

Where did that get us?  "Condemned to repeat it", that's where it got us!  :whistle:

12 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

ie, SOMEBODY needs to take the LEAD as opposed to everybody just throwing out name suggestions "ad nauseam".

Looking for a hero to collect current proposals and maintain voting.

Apologies for not hanging around as much lately. (I've been busy playing with my new holiday toys!)

15 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

SOMEBODY needs to take the LEAD as opposed to everybody just throwing out name suggestions "ad nauseam".

I was afraid that would happen when I posted the suggestions gathered from the old thread. But if it makes you feel better, the suggestions do seem both fewer and more focused this time around. Probably because we're now branding an entire line of browsers, not just New Moon (or even New Moon & Serpent, since Navigator and MailNews are now included as well).

We also seem to have settled on a "variations on a theme" model: an overall theme to bind the entire line together: RFox, Salto, Surf(er), *is, Windows code names, whatever; with a suffix or second name, Latinized root (i.e., @LoneCrusader's original Lunaris/Draconis suggestion), etc. to distinguish them. So I think we've made some progress, despite the low signal/noise ratio.

The only clear guidance I remember getting from @roytam1 is that he considers these multiplatform browsers, not specifically Windows XP (or even Windows overall) browsers. They're intended to run on anything from XP thro(ugh) 10, and are buildable for Linux too. That said, Windows code names (Whistler, Lonestar, etc.) are probably fine; I'd just avoid obvious references to Windows in names or logos.

Why not making a poll?
Instead of brainstorming to the infinity and beyond, IMHO a logical choice would be to choose the most viable proposals made so far and make a poll. The one that receives the most votes is the winning one and can be offered to Matt. I personally prefer his names, so I would vote for his proposal. But it is the majority that wins.

Let's make a poll and settle this for good.

Edited by looking4awayout

22 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

We also seem to have settled on a "variations on a theme" model: an overall theme to bind the entire line together:
RFox ...That said, Windows code names (Whistler, Lonestar, etc.) are probably fine; I'd just avoid obvious references to Windows in names or logos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_codenames

At above URL , these names (below) seemed good enough -->

AURORA , JANUS , IMPALA , NEPTUNE , TRITON , WHISTLER ...
MANTIS , LONESTAR , BOBCAT , COUGAR , CENTRO ...
(Note: I stayed away from CITIES as names , but just me on that notion)

So , like "RFox WHISTLER 28.9" could be 'BRANDING' for RT NewMoon28 Browser.
You could 'shorthand' reference as "RFW28.9" in messages.

I guess 'we' need to make a LIST of ALL the RT Browsers ...
I say let 'Mathwiz' assign the names to the RT Browsers.

Once a "brand" is established, I propose that we also may need a "patch" to rebrand our specific versions without RoyTam needing to "rebrand" ALL of the downloadable versions.  ie, my preferred go-to is dated 2018-09-22.  I update every once in a while, try what's out there, but tend to always revert back to my beloved 2018-09-22 (21?).

I believe Windows code names were suggested to indicate the minimum supported OS versions of his browsers, as well as specific features of these versions that will run better on specific OS version. This helps users to choose the right browser version.

On 12/18/2019 at 10:36 PM, Mcinwwl said:

Pale Moon is commonly called New Moon over this board, and I see no reason to move away from this name. Is there any?

Basilisk shall be called Wyvern, just because I played HoMM III much enough to connect it this way.

Basilisk should be called Basel since our old fountains are called Basilisk a dragon. no- leave it alone.

Bruninho said:
> This helps users to choose the right browser version.

Mcinwwl said:
> Only for the nerdiest, windows codenames are not common knowledge.

Arctic Foxie said:
> These forked browsers in-and-of-themselves are "not common knowledge" and "only for the nerdiest".

But IMO they should not. Quite the opposite. They are a blessing for humanity, and should benefit as many freedom loving people as possible.
The various voices in this forum who strive to keep the userbase of such improved browsers as LOW as any possible, wanting to reserve their use to be just fun TOYS for experts who run them in a virtual retro machine on their (of course) modern main systems, make me wonder sometimes. About the purpose of such goals. Strongly disagree of course. And find it rather unfair to tell all people who don't have great expert skills themselves, who are floating somewhere along the vast spectrum between "geek" and "lemming", to just go and jump off the cliff with the other lemmings, regardless how strongly they fight to escape into the opposite direction (and make me wonder about the goal of keeping the userbase intentionally as tiny as possible.) What a pity :-(

Arctic Foxie said:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my-browser-builds-part-2/?do=findComment&comment=1175805
> "msfntor" - I would kindly suggest that your browsing needs are not the targeted audience for these forked browsers.
> What you "need" is Win10 and everything Win10 has to offer.
> WinXP "today" really should be considered as "Linux" - a niche audience that is NOT for "everybody".

(and various other posts occasionally in this forum, by various people)

(Disclaimer: my favorite browser KM needs so many little tweaks for normal use, that in this state it really rather requires users who like fiddling, and a lot of it. So have told one or two times myself to newbies who aren't aware of that yet, that they'd be happier with a mainstream browser. But things are much different with browsers like NewMoon, which are a lot more mainstream suitable, and much easier to use and extend.)

Edited by siria

On 1/6/2020 at 12:22 AM, Bruninho said:

I believe Windows code names were suggested to indicate the minimum supported OS versions of his browsers, as well as specific features of these versions that will run better on specific OS version. This helps users to choose the right browser version.

This is what @Matt A. Tobin said when he suggested the code names he used:

On 12/16/2019 at 8:58 PM, Matt A. Tobin said:

Pale Moon could be called Whistler after the Codename for Windows XP
Basilisk could be called Freestyle the Codename for Windows XP Media Center Edition because of the extra media features and Australis UI
Borealis could be called Neptune the Codename for a developmental predecessor of Windows XP
Interlink could be called Lonestar the Codename for Windows XP TabletPC Edition (writing, email, get it?)

These are all UXP based applications for Windows XP and there you go a theme for all your forks of them.

OH just call Basilisk 55, call it the codename for the repo.. Moebius/Mobius.

So yes; those "in the know" might get that Freestyle, e.g.,  is the media-focused browser of the bunch. But we don't have to use those particular names; they just comprise a theme for those "in the know."

On 1/6/2020 at 2:47 AM, Mcinwwl said:

Only for the nerdiest, windows code names are not common knowledge.

True, I didn't know those code names either until @Matt A. Tobin suggested them. But no one needs to understand the theme to use the names!

On 1/4/2020 at 3:18 PM, TechnoRelic said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_codenames

At above URL , these names (below) seemed good enough -->

AURORA , JANUS , IMPALA , NEPTUNE , TRITON , WHISTLER ...
MANTIS , LONESTAR , BOBCAT , COUGAR , CENTRO ...

If you open it up to all M$ code names (not just XP versions), you have some better choices IMO. For New Moon, Triton is an obvious choice (it's a moon, after all); Aurora is the obvious choice for Borealis. The artwork to use for both is obvious too. We could reuse Whistler (and the artwork @Matt A. Tobin et al. came up with for that name) for Interlink, and stick with Freestyle and Moebius for Serpent 52 and 55, respectively.

On 1/4/2020 at 6:55 AM, looking4awayout said:

Why not making a poll?

First, folks were complaining about the lack of choices. But now, a poll would probably look something like this:

379px-Sample_ballot_for_CA_recall.png

Have a selfmade ICON draft to offer, already some years old, when playing with a fractal app. Have lots of those, just took a quick look at them now and cropped one. It's not really what I had in mind for "salto" (some whirling arrow / idea "forward into the past"), but it's whirling too and find it just pretty. Not sure if suitable, just as an idea or draft, and of course PD.
But can't upload it here. Perhaps anyone else would be so kind and load it into the forum to show up directly?
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=82160630503825452375

On 1/7/2020 at 5:18 PM, Mathwiz said:

But no one needs to understand the theme to use the names!

My overall idea is that name should indicate newcomers what what we are talking about (modern browser, that originates from branched Firefox long time ago) and what are most visible feature that makesit stand out (compatibility with older OSes and hardware). My proposals were rejected. There were some others that indicated that. I particularly liked SSEfox ;)