On Branding RoyTam1's Browsers

Mathwiz

On 12/23/2019 at 10:54 AM, siria said:

Hmm... not 100% convinced, but hardly any choice so far (feels like "free" elections in RU or CN ;-))
Would be interesting if someone would volunteer to collect the older suggestions too...

(Yes, @LoneCrusader suggested names, and even @Matt A. Tobin liked them!)

A few more suggestions were made starting here:

Edited by Mathwiz

9 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

( 'Mathwiz' listed RT Browser naming ideas ... )

Those who are suggesting "RoyFox" <-- That would be used as a PREFIX for an ADDITIONAL Browser name ???
Like say "RoyFox 52" maybe ??? ... And then say RT BNAV Browser is say "RoyFox Navigator" ???
Maybe I am confused as to the strategy of how the "RoyFox" will be used in RT BRANDING ???

Edited by TechnoRelic

On 12/21/2019 at 6:25 PM, Mathwiz said:

I'm sure it doesn't mean the same thing in Chinese, but in Latin, "Roy" means "king;"

so for me, "RoyFox" conjures up an image of a fox with a crown on its head!

On 12/21/2019 at 7:06 PM, Mcinwwl said:

Not latin, but spanish - it's 'Rex' in latin. Maybe you mistaken it with 'lation' languages?

I'm into [SOMETHING]Fox for XP syntax,

spanish = Rey

french = Roi

Am really shocked that obvious trolls and extreme flamers are not banned here. One hero dared to stand up against someone who only joined for posting personal threats and attacks, but only got critized for defending civilized discussions. And then even got slammed into the ground by him with a sledgehammer - but still, who cares, the flamer remains a welcome member. Only the evidence got deleted. What a safe place :-( But of course, just like everywhere else today. People prefer it that way.

roytam1 said:
> BTW Roy* browsers sounds like I'm narcissism

Yeah what I thought. I love it as a fannish name, but an official name is a different matter, and it's not really your style. Unlike someone else, but even for him, wonder what the reactions would be here if that guy had named all his browsers after himself...

At the moment like best Lunaris for NewMoon.

Tried to find some more possible name-stubs, but no matter what, how shortened or twisted and abbreviated, a quick google search reveals just about everything is long since taken. After that just one stub idea was left as another suggestion:
SaltoMoon + SaltoFox

Aside from not yet being taken by some company, project or person, I've started liking it too. Had stumbled across that word while looking for stubs ressembling somehow "forward into the past", and find it quite fitting. Jumps looping artistically forward (new prefs and script language etc) and backwards (restore xp compat), and could make for an interesting icon too, something like a whirlwind arrow upward/forward...

Edited by siria

Other suggestions:

For replace New Moon (but I like "NewMoon"...):

Noctus, Nocturnus, StrongMoon, MoonDream, NextMoon, NeoMoon, MoonBird, MoonLight, LightMoon, LastMoon, LateMoon, WinMoon, FoxyMoon, Foxtrot, RexMoon, RexyMoon, ...

.. and for other: Surfer 52, SurfAny 52, AllSurf 52, WinSurf 52 ... Moebius 55 ...

Edit:

RFox ... RFox 28, RFox 52, RFox 55 ... WinFox ... WinFox 28, WinFox 52, WinFox 55 ... VERY short names indeed

Edited by msfntor

Annoying big-tech webmasters everywhere... that 1 percent of the 1 precent still using a Basilisk/PaleMoon/Firefox fork on Windows XP called:

"Ludditious"

This is tongue-in-cheek, folks...

Ludditious is delicious... and it's good for you too!

Edited by Montana Slim

On 12/29/2019 at 1:46 PM, msfntor said:

RFox ... RFox 28, RFox 52, RFox 55 ... WinFox ... WinFox 28, WinFox 52, WinFox 55 ... VERY short names indeed

yes I've edited my precedent post with these very shortened proposals ....

19 hours ago, msfntor said:

yes I've edited my precedent post with these very shortened proposals ....

Yes, "RFox" used in this 'prefix' style manner followed by a 'version number' has a lot of logic.
R = RoyTam , Fox = FireFox (Fork) ... Even "RFox BNAV" is easy enough to type it.
(As humor) Again, "MOONBEAM" is OUT though. :rolleyes:

Edited by TechnoRelic

How about "Knew Moon"?

On a side note, I feel that this thread is just an endless unending "infinite loop" and should be locked.

Roy Tam has NOT made a public presence and insists upon sitting idle on the sidelines.

Are we just to keep throwing out new names for the next "twenty years" or until Moonchild shows back up and ruffles feathers again?

Roy Tam MUST take the LEAD on this and he HASN'T!

12 hours ago, siria said:

msfntor said:
> RFox ... RFox 28, RFox 52, RFox 55 ...

As long as the "R" is undefined, it could stand for "Roy" but also for "Retro" (systems)

And RIGHT Fox ... the one we're supposed to have, looking to get.

Indeed, everyone can guess the meaning of the letter R according to his or her taste - this denomination has the mysterious charm, leads to freedom, more freedom.
As an icon, I already see two letters: RF - the color of fire on the background graded to yellow.
Look on @ED_Sln nice avatar to get the idea of colors: light background passing to dark letters.
While waiting for RoyTam1's decision, I retire in a quiet place...

12 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Roy Tam MUST take the LEAD on this and he HASN'T!

Actually, RT (himself) has already stated that he will 'go along' with most any BRANDING that might
satisfy 'Matt A. Tobin' -- so that Mr. Tobin feels less 'annoyed' by 'RT Browser' user questions.
I suggested that 'Mathwiz' work with Mr. Tobin to try and reach some kind of BRANDING agreement
that RT seems 'okay' with it. 'Mathwiz' has stated that since Mr. Tobin wants to do a LOT of the BRANDING
work for RT, then RT should take advantage of that. Which, that seems logical to me.
'Mathwiz' did already do 'PULLS' on the RT Browsers to make the HELP Menu URLs to 'aim' at more proper
RT Browser based 'destinations' -- as opposed to PALE MOON websites. I can actually understand Mr. Tobin
NOT wanting to get questions about RT's Browsers, IF possible. So, to keep that to a MINIMUM via proper
BRANDING of RT's Browsers. As to IF that 'Mathwiz' and Mr. Tobin have the TIME and ENERGY to want to make that happen, I have NO IDEA here. Mr. Tobin is the one who has 'typed a LOT of words' here (MSFN)
about wanting to do BRANDING assistance for RT's Browsers. Personally, I thought that fixing the HELP Menu URLs with RT's Browsers was a LOT of what could be done to MINIMIZE annoying the PALE MOON website with questions from RT Browser users who do NOT realize that MSFN and RT are the ones handling these 'Forked' Browsers.

I felt 'complimented' by 'Mathwiz' -- when he 'backed up' my viewpoint that the HELP Menu URLs for RT's Browsers could and should be FIXED as best as possible. And then 'Mathwiz' did the PULLS needed on that. I think that it made the RT Browser situation considerably BETTER in terms of 'negative impact' on PALE MOON websites. But also, again, I have NO PROBLEM if that Mr. Tobin wants to 'grind through' working on a BRANDING situation for RT's Browsers. RT is more 'along for the ride' on this (BRANDING issues). As RT said, he just plans to continue to COMPILE and POST (for free download) his RT Browsers as he sees fit.

The other aspect, with RT, is that he resides in HONG KONG. So, RT has 'personal life' time demands that are 'complex' due to the POLITICAL situation in HONG KONG. And RT has already stated that he does NOT really want to get involved in BRANDING aspects. For RT, IF that some kind of BRANDING can be done, to make Mr. Tobin more 'happy' somehow, then 'fine' with RT. But RT does NOT want to get heavily involved in BRANDING activity on a PERSONAL basis. Which, I can definitely follow that LOGIC on RT's part. So, IF that say 'Mathwiz' wants to work with Mr. Tobin to agree on some BRANDING aspects, FINE with me. But actually, my view is that FIXING the URLs with the RT Browser HELP MENUS (to 'point' at RT websites and MSFN here) was maybe the most important thing to do it. BRANDING would be 'additional' activity that would be 'nice' to have it though (my view).

Okay, I typed all this, and did NOT mean to offend anyone on MSFN. Others who see the situation differently can surely say so, HOPEFULLY without any 'name calling' involved. The RT Browser MSFN Users that I do DEFER to them as more expert than me, would be 'Mathwiz' ; 'VistaLover' ; 'Dencorso' (and a couple others). Mr. Tobin has NOT posted here lately. So, I suppose it is POSSIBLE that maybe Mr. Tobin's TIME to 'donate' for RT BRANDING issues has changed too. NO IDEA here on that either. But again, here, I do follow the LOGIC of RT choosing to NOT get 'heavily involved' in BRANDING issues for his RT Browsers.

I fully agree with @TechnoRelic. And, in case @Mathwiz agrees to orchestrate the process, I think we should cut short the discussion and suggestions stage, agree to a reasonable set of brand-names as fast as possible and get to work on them. There's a saying in my country that goes somewhat like this: "While the sage ponder in a haze... the clueless attack by surprise!!!"... and I do think it applies here quite perfectly. :P