On Branding RoyTam1's Browsers

Mathwiz

Hmm... not 100% convinced, but hardly any choice so far (feels like "free" elections in RU or CN ;-))
Would be interesting if someone would volunteer to collect the older suggestions too...

Something like 'Neptune' ... is that name already used somewhere?. ... perhaps ''MoonBeam'... I myself lean to an 'interstellar space' connected name but I can't think of too many at this time. Just not some silly name ... not too crazy about the name 'Whistler'. I'm only interested in New Moon 28 which along with K-Meleon ... is all I use currently. I like 'New Moon' but I guess it has to go ... there are so many browsers to deal with but they all have a 'purpose' for somebody.

On 12/21/2019 at 9:52 PM, LoneCrusader said:

[...]

I'm not interested in "popular." I'm quite used to being in the minority, you should know this by now.
Everyone here should know this, from our OS choices if nothing else.

This is roy's project, not a group project. Occasionally some members are able to help, but essentially without roy this project would cease to exist. So I'm interested in what HE thinks and decides. I don't care for how everyone is "pushing" him, and you are the one who started that by pointing out roy's ignoring of Tobin's message. roy has every right to ignore Tobin if he so chooses.

[...]

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

Agree with LoneCrusader. Branding is overrated and overblown. Silly names and graphics don't break or make a product, what matters if it's good or not to begin with.

All you have to do is look at the Linux "Desktop" Efforts. They had a damn good and winning one with Gnome 2. Then the "Branding Cowboys" came along and basically ruined the Gnome project  and the Linux "desktop" efforts with Gnome 3 and the same sort of Fisher-Price Icons,Graphics and Mindset that we're seeing being promoted here.

If Roy doesn't want to deal with this sort of garbage, he shouldn't have to. End of discussion.

Monroe said:
> perhaps ''MoonBeam"...

Oh... which brings me to "MoonRay" now... somehow like it, and not quite so personal...

Of course roytam1 will do what he wants, no one contradicts that. But he has stated that name choices don't really matter to him, therefore nothing wrong with making suggestions.

On 12/23/2019 at 6:06 PM, siria said:

Of course roytam1 will do what he wants, no one contradicts that. But he has stated that name choices don't really matter to him, therefore nothing wrong with making suggestions.

You're *NOT*  making suggestions. You're browbeating him over it. There's a difference. Do I need to spell out what it is?

3 hours ago, Omntech said:

You're *NOT*  making suggestions. You're browbeating him over it. There's a difference. Do I need to spell out what it is?

You only have 2 posts, so you're likely new here. Who are you to show up and start jumping down peoples throats?

Edited by sparty411

5 hours ago, siria said:

Oh... which brings me to "MoonRay" now... somehow like it, and not quite so personal...

Yes, I like that better than MoonBeam ... perhaps 'DeathRay' .... 'MantaRay'  !

Edited by Monroe
sp

On 12/21/2019 at 10:38 PM, Mathwiz said:

...RoyFox and variations thereon...

While thinking on this one at some point I somehow ended up with the kludge "RoyTamFoxMoon," which does evoke some degree of humor... it's the RTFM browser! lol :lol:
(please, no one take this as a serious attempt at a name! I'll address RoyFox further down)

On 12/22/2019 at 3:03 AM, Sampei.Nihira said:

@LoneCrusader

Even if I'm in the minority, I think the same way you do.

On 12/22/2019 at 3:00 PM, genieautravail said:

+1 :worship:

Thanks for the support guys. It's nice to know I've not been the only voice in the wilderness.

On 12/22/2019 at 8:43 PM, Mathwiz said:

I suppose I should ask how you feel about RoyFox (perhaps with variations as @Mcinwwl suggested). I know you'd rather we not rebrand at all, but if it happens, we still want your opinion on what the new branding should be.

I'll give mine: I like "Moebius" for Serpent 55. I've been labeling my Serpent 55 icons "Moebius" long before @Matt A. Tobin suggested using the name.

I don't think RoyFox is necessarily a bad idea, but I believe there could be better options. I did love the icon that was first suggested for RoyFox, but even though it's nice Mr. Tobin may have a small point when he says it's too close to the original Firefox logo. :}

Wasn't Moebius a name also used by MCP and company? I've lost track...:wacko:

On 12/22/2019 at 9:07 PM, dencorso said:

In the recent past, when we were trying to come up with an interim image for both Serpent 52 & 55 @roytam1 made crystal clear he opposes identifying his builds as "for XP", since they do work OK on later NT-family OSes. This is the one thing about branding we know precisely how he feels about.

Agree here re: the "for XP" language, while it seems clear and convenient it makes the name unnecessarily longer and omits the fact that the builds work on Vista as well.

55 minutes ago, sparty411 said:

You only have 2 posts, so you're likely new here. Who are you to show up and start jumping down peoples throats?

Let's not start judging people based on when they joined or how many posts they have. A very bad precedent to get started.

However it does seem that things have cooled down to a much more acceptable mode of discourse now. Let's try to keep it that way, with no one pushing this way or that beyond reason. This is the only way this issue will ever be settled in an acceptable manner. It may take some time, but this is the right way.

On 12/24/2019 at 12:11 AM, LoneCrusader said:
On 12/22/2019 at 12:38 AM, Mathwiz said:

...RoyFox and variations thereon...

While thinking on this one at some point I somehow ended up with the kludge "RoyTamFoxMoon," which does evoke some degree of humor... it's the RTFM browser! lol :lol:
(please, no one take this as a serious attempt at a name! I'll address RoyFox further down)

lol.

BTW Roy* browsers sounds like I'm narcissism:dubbio:

On 12/24/2019 at 12:11 AM, LoneCrusader said:
On 12/22/2019 at 11:07 PM, dencorso said:

In the recent past, when we were trying to come up with an interim image for both Serpent 52 & 55 @roytam1 made crystal clear he opposes identifying his builds as "for XP", since they do work OK on later NT-family OSes. This is the one thing about branding we know precisely how he feels about.

Agree here re: the "for XP" language, while it seems clear and convenient it makes the name unnecessarily longer and omits the fact that the builds work on Vista as well.

in the beginning "for XP" was just for distinguishing from regular (non XP compatible) builds, now it's kind of lost meaning.

BTW, for names that Tobin suggested this time, I personally not opposed to, moreover, with quite nice artworks. But may be I want a "twist" to the names so to become more unique/unusual?

14 hours ago, jaclaz said:

If suggestions are open, what about "The Nameless Browser"  (TNB for short) which is accurate ;) and vaguely reminds of H.P. Lovecraft :):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nameless_City

jaclaz

What was H.P Lovecrafts cats name again? I kid, i kid..

Edited by sparty411